The Politics of Sugar, Milk and Meat.

kwa hivyo kwake nappier grass huchezewa Beethoven ndio ichangamke ikue?

5 Likes

mmemaliza the serious talk?? sina ubaya:D
[ATTACH=full]11894[/ATTACH]

7 Likes

for a country to develop, it requires to manufacture stuff and be as self reliant as possible. but I think we should do a SWOT analysis as a country and accept the fact that we can’t manufacture everything.
though I feel the major problem is the people(politics ) incharge of the companies,the don’t care.
why should Uganda import sugar then sell to us,while kenyans can also import if only govt can remove the restrictions

1 Like

Private sugar mills in Ke.
[ol]
[li]West Kenya Sugar Company[8][/li][li]Soin Sugar Company[9][/li][li]Kibos Sugar and Allied Industries Limited[10][/li][li]Butali Sugar Mills[11][/li][li]Transmara Sugar Company[12][/li][li]Sukari Industries Limited[13][/li][li]Kwale International Sugar Company Limited (KISCOL)[1 [/li][/ol]
PUBLIC SUGAR Mills
[ol]

[li]Mumias Sugar[/li][li]Nzoia Sugar Factory[4][/li][li]South Nyanza Sugar Company[5][/li][li]Muhoroni Sugar Company[6][/li][li]Chemelil Sugar Factory[7][/li][/ol]
It’s time the government moved out of manufacturing

3 Likes

I said regarding KQ, and I will say it again. Companies that cannot effectively compete in the local scene are a burden to the taxpayer and should be left to their ultimate fate. How can sugar from Brazil be cheaper than Mumias sugar in Kenya? It just means we cannot produce sugar effectively and should focus on other things. If we insist on protecting local industries at a cost. to the taxpayer, we may as well revive Nyayo Pioneer and ban imported cars.

9 Likes

sasa wewe nani amekwambia uganda wanatoa sukari ngambo?

[ATTACH=full]11905[/ATTACH]

Boss, dairy industry hudepend na league uko. Weta yuko league soo vile umeambiwa. Case in point, sometimes back kilo ya maziwa ilikua 26/28 kwa mkulima mdogo. Transport was 3bob per kilo. So pesa inaingia mfuko ni 23/25bob a kilo. And if you have like 50 or so kilos wewe ni mkulima mdogo sana. On the other hand, a farmer who has 1000kilos a day or more was getting 30/34 bob per kilo na maziwa inachukuliwa kwa gate at the expense of the milk company.
You have to factor in economies of scale, kuweka sillage na feeds buda Weta atapata direct from the company. At that time, 1 bag of dairy meal was retailing at 1K from the feeds stores, boy wetu Weta atanunua ama amake zake locally and if he bought it he was doing it at 800 bob a bag at the companies transport. Ushaiona watu wakifunika sillage molasses hutumiwa ni kiasi gani? Now compare a small scale farmer’s source of Molasses and Weta’s sources.
These are things that they don’t tell in success stories.
PS Doesn’t mean that mkulima mdogo hawezi make it.

6 Likes

what i am not in agreement with is the defeatist attitude that sisi ni wadogo kwa hivyo climate ni mbaya…90 p c of the milk coming from nyandarua is from farmers who only own two to five semigrade milkers…

2 Likes

1ltr = 1kg

Very true. Climate plays a vital role but is only a very small percentage of it which actually favors small scale farmers more because they can’t condition it artificially. Nowadays, ng’ombe hulalia mattress.
But still you must understand there is a reason why Kimunya hatawahi mwaga maziwa yake kwa mto kama farmers wengine wa Kipipiri. There is a whole lot of factors that come into play which makes climate not appear as the top.

Hiyo ulitoa wapi?

kwa mwingine hapo juu mwenye alifanya nilete story ya Weta…

The only way farmers can enjoy the fruits of their labour is if they produce and sell their products directly to the consumer.Otherwise they will persist with shitty margins.

Brookside and the likes make profits of kshs. 12 per litre of milk which they purchase at kshs. 25 to 35, and all they do is collect, process and distribute.

3 Likes

You make it sound like it’s so simple.

You think Uganda can satisfy its market and Kenya too?

There are various dairy cattle breeds that are fit for various agro-ecological zones.

I have no idea what the agreements are but I will side with baba.

Kwanza I like the milk ATMs vile zimeanza kuwa popular in many estates in Nairobi. Nowadays, I don’t bother purchasing hiyo maziwa ya packet inapimwa kama dawa at a very expensive price.