Not everyone should be a landlord

My views on real estate piss off very many people on this forum. For example, I believe real estate (rentals) is a big boys game only. However, punks in this forum with big dreams will always try to justify starting small totally disregarding economies of scale. Some will even take loans at 14%+ to finance rentals (not for sale). If you have some 30M+ idle cash, sure - enda eastlands/outskirts ujenge flats. If you have 5M, invest elsewhere. Project ya 5M hata ukitoa mafuta ya gari yako, agency fees, caretaker etc unabaki with nothing. It is very hard to tell people the truth (that sensible real estate is not a peasant’s game) without getting them very angry. Nikisema hapa watu waanze kujenga na 1M I will receive 1000 likes because it appeals to their vulnerabilities and gives them false hope.

Wisdom detected. A rare thing among basic “investor” minds in Kenya. At best, low-income rental business has its ROI 3-decades down the line. I can’t sink my 10M into such stuff. There are better things to do with that money. Hata heri ununue Treasury Bonds, at 10% returns p.a, you’ll break-even in just 10 years. Yet T Bonds hazina stress ya oh sijui catertaker, oh sijui nani alihepa bila kulipa rent, oh land rates, oh repainting and repairing.

I don’t know why Kenyans, even educated ones are fixated on building rentals.

Very simplistic view. In most urban areas where people are building rentals once your plot is sorrounded by rental units you will be an enemy of everyone keeping cows and chicken due to associated waste that emanates from such farming activities from smell to waste water. People will even poison your animals given the opportunity, ama kukuitia nema and neighbourhood watch. If you have such a plot just build. Again farming is a full time and involving engagement otherwise you will lose money like a nonsense

@HABILIS and @Finest wine name and shame those cons

Ni wengi sana. Tembea Misterseed.com uingie iko nini section. The latest go by the name Username or something similar and they say they are based in Quatar.

Just like the houses are bad the dairy cows could die in a whistle. The 8k dairy man will one day come back with a milk supplement from the agrovet and that will be the end.

Rentals ni profitable only if you identify a cheap plot at an upcoming small town and wait. Im not a budding farmer to keep a constant 10 milking cows you need 15 plus to keep them comfy for such prod you need a cow shed of around 20 ‘bedrooms’ for cleaning purposes. Hiyo shed si pesa ndogo. Plus dairy farming remotely ni jokes. Unless uweke camera mingi

I was also shocked that bridgeview apartments are renting at 60k, in such a location!

we have others going for 70k close to the roundabout

Thank you sir. These sound like those strange motivational speakers. What they don’t say is the most important. A cow cannot live on Kshs 3000 per month. That is stupid. The mzungu ranches in Laikipia allocate 5acres to one cow. For zero-grazers, one bale of hay should be about 200-250 Bob. You also need salt and other supplements. This guy’s views are not the whole truth.

Very true.Real estate ni ya big boys.Same na ku trade in forex.You and your ka 500k wont make much.Real estate is crazy.You buy a massionette in Langata for example at KSh18M,na rent ni Ksh45,000 per month.It will take you 41years to break even.What buffonery is that?Heri u nuy plot za kijiji 500k,weka single rooms 14 za 5k each per month.Cost zakuweka hizo single rooms hazipiti 60k coz its just mabati,cement,nails,sand and ballst kiogo for flooring na wiring.In 8 short month umehsa break even unakula tu profits.Preferably put them up next to a middle class residential area because the housegirls,matatu drivers and conductors,shamba boys,security guys ndio watakua wanaishi huko.

A maisonette is not an investment in my books. That’s why I am always the guy renting from the guy who bought the house at 15M+. The tenant benefits more than the landlord. In most gated estates around Nai, rent for a 4 bedroom+DSQ ni between 50k and 70k. Buying price is between 15M and 20M roughly. So you wonder who is smarter. I personally believe for maisonettes, it is always smarter to rent than to buy unless you are a true birrionea sio mtu anajijenga.

As usual umeongea watu kumi na…

This is what I have never understood…

Just came here to poop on this thread.

Farming is not for sleezy remote workers and entrepreneurs.It requires dedication,hardwork and “ground presence” for lack of a better word.

Cows don’t just give you constant 10L for sure daily.
Fact number two,Friesian cows give “Watery milk’” you have no luck selling that to dairies or locals.Fresian cows are the worst especially for retail mashambani use.Most families always want their milk thick.Older lads in the forum can confirm this.

Cows undergo cattle stress,resulting from poor feeding habits,bad sanitation,Stressful zero grazing and lack of fumigation of pens.

When cows start getting triggers down goes your supplies,at this point it’s safe to say cows undergo stress just like humans.Ooh and they talked time to recover.Milk department not so good at this point.

Selling milk to milk corporations is a dying business unless you dispense 400 l + for you to see any profit margins.

I grew up in a farm,and I decided real estate is my fate.whether am a millionaire or not.I won’t leave the city to milk cows again,I did that in my childhood.

Currently,plot 10 ideas are the new norm here in Kitengela.

Unashkia plot,unapiga nyumba Kama 30 za mabati,unaeka structure ya kuuza maji ya chumvi na fresh,unaweka caretaker wawili…and sit and wait…credit score pale bank inapanda tu we are greatful…70 k kila mwezi give or take…tukiwinda Shamba za Wamaasai

True, in the USA cattle farming, the average cow days/acre is 80 days - days a cow require to survive in one acre of land. Huku Kenya tunachezea less than half of that na hatuna mashamba

Thanks for the information.

You are right.

SI afadahli mtu aishi lavington. That Naivasha road stretch going all the way the to Uthiru, 87 areas, very expensive apartments in mediocre neighborhoods.

It always appear easier on paper. Dairy farming is no joke. One can easily become the owner of a slaughter house kimchezo mchezo… venye zinakufa. Those animals are sensitive. They are a piece of work.