@mtadao is POWER HUNGRY

@mtadao, your solar capture/consumption of only 1kwh - 1.5kwh per day is kidogo sana. Is that really enough to power a fridge, TV, lights, bore hole pump, microwave, iron box etc as you claim? My bill is normally 150kwh per month which is about 5kwh per day, which would require about 1500wp of solar panels and 5kwh of usable battery storage.

You need to at least double your capacity.

You really don’t understand how solar power system works. That data, and it’s only from one charger, is misleading you. The data shows that charger is actually idle for most part of the day (the top bluish part of the bars means the charger is only inputting trickle charge to the batteries as they are already full) hence the perceived low capture. Home appliances do not run throughout the day or night, except in my case, my small water pump when irrigating. In any case, assuming an average solar capture of only 400w for 10 hrs (the panels can go as high as 800w on cold sunny days), you will get 4kwh of energy. My problem right now is storage for all the energy.

3 Likes

Umehesabu ya Samantha?

I really DO understand solar power. I based my argument on the data that you submitted which was a harvest of 1-1.5kwh per day but you have clarified that this is just for one controller which means you get about 3kwh per day (which shows i was right to recommend that you “double your production”). My 500wp system produces about 2kwh per day so i was wondering why you were getting only 1.5kw from your 800wp.

That said, why would you need more battery storage when your current ones are mostly at float daily?

1 Like

He will need to draw 5kwh from the battery storage at his peak demand.

You don’t get it. The data you are seeing is what has been consumed not the total solar power that can be captured. The panels can produce up to 4kwh per day but since am using much less, the panels are idle most of the day. Additional storage is needed to store the excess energy because the less you discharge the batteries, the longer the lifetime.

1 Like

How do you know my demand?

If humanity will resolve the power storage issue, we’ll have resolved 90% of our energy needs.

1 Like

Very true. Some hydro power stations use the excess energy to pump water from a lower dam to a higher one to reuse the demand is higher.

2 Likes

Power is nothing without control

I said you get about 3kwh from your 2 controllers (coz you provided data of 1.5kwh for 1 controller). And yes I know the max you can harvest from your panels is about 4kWh i.e 800w x 5 sunhours = 4kWh. My daily max possible is 500w x 5hr = 2.5kWh but the real max I have ever got is 2.3whr.