Local TV reviews

The problem is most people only buy a tv once say every ten years or so and this is bad news to tv manufacturers. They want to compel consumers to upgrade by introducing new tech, mara 3D, mara curved, mara 4k and now they are advocating for 8k. The truth is tv ni tv tu, Itakuwa ngumu sana niache my LG OLED for anything else in the foreseeable future. Total waste of omuom

Thanks for the pointer, I already know that TV manufacturers give different specifications for different regions but I didn’t know the U8G had various versions beside Canadian, European and US. The US market seems to get the best TVs, I guess because there are lots of people who set up true home theaters and are more critical of TV especially on Image quality.

I usually check the European version which seems to be the one available locally in Kenya. Europe also gets the Vidaa OS just like Kenya. I don’t think I will ever like VIDAA but from what I have seen it’s very lightweight and faster to navigate as compared to other OS. But it lacks lots of features and one may need to buy an external dongle.

The EU version seems to be just as good as the US version with the exception of the OS.

Last time I checked we did a full search for channels and agreed it’s not covered by lg East Africa for sony products sony ke covers products from any store provided its a genuine product no wonder grey market price and price at anisuma doesn’t differ that much for lg there’s a huge difference

Same with TCL US models are ROKU which never arrive here in our country but instead Android

The article lists lower brightness and fewer local dimming zones. Also VA vs IPS panel but that’s a tradeoff not a downgrade

By the way the price difference at luthuli av is not that huge it’s between 2k to 5k. But interesting for sony ke. Perhaps thats why people prefer importing sony tvs. Samsung doesn’t cover products from other regions because they have serious and aggressive discount programs that are market oriented.

I know U7G is VA if I am not wrong. Hmm lesser dimming zones may lead to a lower image quality… for brightness, I know the US models had flagship brightness levels. Maybe they thought it’s something to save on. That`s a nice comparison nitaichambua baadae

Where do they sell it at that price?

In not seeing any detailed info on different versions of the U7G but at least it’s direct backlit FALD. Just a year and a half ago those weren’t options under 100k. We’d get edge lit displays that got up to 400 nits with the audacity to claim HDR. As for brightness last year’s UQ7F gets to 600 nits so U7G should do the same if not better

Overall I’m satisfied and it should be the best TVs under 100k, until we see TCL’s local offerings for 2021 kina C725 and C825

Vincent Teoh has some harsh words on the European Hisense U8G… leaves little to be desired for that U7G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtni3HN5OWg

As for those TCL they arrived about a month ago. The C725 is disappointing edge lit, no FALD, low brightness. The C825 is much more interesting it’s miniLED, 160 zones FALD, VA panel, 120hz about 160k for the 65"

Excellent video. I like reading critical reviews so that I can make a good choice. Like I said earlier, a succeeding model can be worse than the older model. Vincent recommends last years model over the current european version. Nice. That is why you have to see these TVs for yourself before making a decision. This is also very common in the TV industry even LG and Samsung will do this all the time. Most buyers do not check things like if HDMI 2.1 is included and they just go ahead and buy. It’s even worse when you import, many sellers will put marketing material from the manufacturer utashangaa sana kupata haina what you were looking for. That is why I will review these sets personally, count the dimming zones, blooming, banding etc. I won’t walk with tools in the shop but kuna vitu nilazima uangalie.

TV manufacturers know kenyans are not buying next gen gaming consoles and they don’t need it. So wanangoa HDMI 2.1, wanajua pia watu hawana hometheatre set-ups wengi wako kwa bedisitter just like @Sambamba so they reduce the dimming zones. They even use older image processing units so things like 4K upscaling is limited. You have to check, you might buy a 150K TV that is worth half the price bila kujua. If a 150K TV cuts down on refresh rate, HDMI connectivity, Image processing, dimming zones, then it is worth half the price - 70K. I know manufacturers like LG do remove some features on east african TVs eg Alexa support because Amazon is not officially in Kenya. Question is, nini ingine wametoa? If you don’t have a console you can never be sure if it will play AAA titles at 120FPS or even 4K-60.

Very well said. Personally I’d bank on the miniLED TCL C825. It seems zuricart are the only ones who offer it… I called them and they said they only have the 65" currently but 55" is coming in about a week’s time

How much for the 55’

165K for the 65" TCL C825 is a joke. Especially when you can get a sony 65" x950h for around 170k

This one looks like a very good bet , I hope you will give us a reviews however I have heard a few pple like @Bingwa Scrotum complain here that their TCL Tvs died after two years .

Alisema bei will be decided when stock arrives

I’d rather be remembered for worthy brands… Nissan, Al Fakher Shisha, Durex Featherlite, BMW E36, Ford Ranger, Muguks ya dandan, Codeine ya Shams…

Find time and go through this thread then give your thoughts TCL smart TV got dimmer - Science & Technology - Kenya Talk

Be prepared to learn the hard way