Local TV reviews

Looks like some people on this forum are tv purists, talking about contrast, hue, black levels blah blah blah. What if I told you someone who calibrates a full HD tv well would get a far superior image quality than high end 4k models, putting into consideration viewing distance and tv size. In fact I still discount 8k to this very day given you can barely tell the difference from 4k, just pure marketing gimmicks after failure of curved screen technology.

Am not disputing the fact that OLED screen are king , the downside is the risk of burn in and the fact that they are damn expensive , but if you are on a budget then miniled would be a good alternative to OLED .

Ukiwa kwa bedsitter chneye unasema ni kweli. But ingia three bedroom and above anything lower than 55" and 4k will be noticeable

Burn-in is more of a theory than practical at this age. Hatuko zile time yenye TV is stuck on one channel day in day out. So technically speaking burn in will take quite a while or even never happen.

I get it bro, but gain not all 3 bedroom mansions are the same size:D

Hii maneno ya burn in was sorted Kitambo with pixel shifting technology. Any OLED TV after 2019 is okay.

About the expensive nature that’s a local dealer greed issue as the TV’s get discounted after every product refresh.

I don’t see the problem of buying from grey market provided its an original model. You’ll buy from the dealer and pay over 10k extra for an ordinary 43inch just because of the dealers warranty only to get issues after the warranty expires

This is true so long as the Tv is legit and the manufacturer can verify that it’s legit i also don’t see the reason as to why one shouldn’t buy from them.

I’d get the Sony X90J. X900H ni version ya last year, check it out on rtings. The only flaw I see is the lack of VRR

Edit: If you can stretch your budget to ~170k you can get a 55 inch LG C1 or Sony A80J and get that sweet OLED. As for which to get I think you’d prefer to do that research on your own

If you check TV prices online, you’ll find that prices in the middle east and Kenya are not so different. I know there are some channels through which you can get a cheaper TV, but there is a substantial risk that goes with it.

One thing I realized is that people who sell TVs from the grey market are very rough and will generally not allow you to test the TV. The only thing they will allow you to check, is that it can turn on. end of story!

Pia kuna ukora, there was a time I came across an LG Model that had one remote but even from the box it was supposed to have two remotes. But jamaa akaniambia nitoke kwa duka yake after asking a few questions.

I cannot buy a TV if you don’t allow me to test it like for 30 minutes, if I am spending 130K on a TV I have to scrutinize it thoroughly with the option of walking away without fights.

LG cannot verify if a model from middle-east is legit. That would be tantamount to killing their EA business. I am not even after the warranty, I just want to be sure that the panel on the TV is genuine from LG and nothing fishy has been done behind the scenes. People can repackage a cheaper TV as an expensive one and sell it to you- This can be done as long as it’s the same manufacturer - of course the remote will always work and the menu is largely the same.

TV technologies have always been problematic just look at the first generation OLEDs, how about Plasma TVs? Do you remember 3D TVs?

TV technology is not yet mature. That is why every major manufacturer is working on some new technology behind the scenes to solve the drawbacks of each existing technology.

A professional TV calibrator will definitely get the best out of your TV but he cannot turn a 1080p TCL to beat a Sony OLED TV. Not possible! And I am not talking about colour calibration only, there are many factors at play here.

I am not looking for a main TV. I will wait a couple of years for most technologies to mature. Also the Sony X90J got beat hands down by the Hisense U8G. Even Rtings have seen the light! That is why I insist you have to see the TV yourself to make a decision. Not just by listening to what people are saying. Not to mention, the U8G is way cheaper. Read the review below from RTINGS. Besides beating the X90J, the U8G has got VRR etc etc.

[ATTACH=full]386008[/ATTACH]

The U8G is an North America exclusive TV. The closest equivalent in our region is the Hisense UQ7F which is being a great TV probably the best under 100k is no match for the U8G.

Similar story to the TCL 5 and 6 series in North America vs the TCL C7xx and C8xx sold locally.

Not really the U7QF has been succeeded by the hisense U7G, the U7QF is a 2020 model, its boxes all over have the 2020 Euro on it, as Hisense was the Sponsor of the event. The U7G is available in Kenya. There are many shops selling it. Including one that calls itself Hisense Kenya. The price of the 55" is around 70K. I haven’t seen the U8G locally yet, but I haven’t checked thoroughly. Btw the U7G seems to have a east African warranty. The U8G is a 2021 model and may take some time to arrive here - especially now that it’s the company’s flagship but is not as highly priced as the Sony. Also the U7G comes with most of the features of the U8G including HDMI 2.1 and I think VRR.

Looks like Hisense has really upped their game who would imagine that they would come up with a really nice tv that beats kina Sony hands down , I have seen a few forums recommending the U7G and reviews for this model I hear are on fire especially on the avs forum .It will be interesting to look up for upcoming Hisense models. X90j I think has already been succeed by x95 j .

Sometimes older models are even better. TV manufacturers especially Sony and Samsung have a nasty strategy of making the succeeding model worse than the preceding one. They know People want the newer model so they cut down on the specs and make a killing. But the older model remains cheaper so it may be better to go for it. Most times there is very little improvement if any. It doesn’t occur all the time. But sometimes it does. You have to be careful.

This is very good last year the H8G and H9G weren’t available locally

These are both 2021 models it’s just that the X95J is the better model

I went to hisense Kenya to look up the U7G and saw the TV OS is Vidaa not android TV like in US… That got some alarms going and after googling I got this

2021 Hisense U8G series - three different versions for the USA, Europe, Australia
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/news/cb595c3