Kolbiyow Camp and other short stories

[SIZE=6]Gallant soldiers fought to their last breath to repulse attackers[/SIZE]


Kenya Defence Forces senior commanders at the besieged Kolbiyow Camp, who fought through critical injuries and at disadvantaged positions to help turn the tide in one of the deadliest attacks in the war in Somalia, fought to their last breath, the Nation can reveal.

A Maj Mwangi, the Artillery Battery Commander, and Captain Silas Ekidor, the Infantry Second Officer in Charge (2IC), led the defence of the camp with valour before they fell.

Survivors have told the Nation that the camp, which was manned by a company drawn from the 15KR Battalion, was attacked at about 5am on Friday.

The company had received intelligence suggesting a planned insurgent attack on the camp.

A day before the raid, the commanders had sent a platoon of about 40 soldiers to scout for Al-Shabaab terrorists, gather more intelligence and help create a strategy for defending the camp.

Just before daylight, a security drone code named “Scan Eagle” hovering around the camp spotted about 150 fighters approaching the camp.
The top commanders at the camp, Commanding Officer Maj Mwangi and Captain Ekidor, are said to have quickly crafted a strategy to defeat the oncoming enemy.

The commanders quickly assembled their men to further fortify the camp and maintain strategic positions for engagement with the terrorists.

The KDF troops started by engaging the enemy using 105mm artillery guns and 81 mortars.

The exchange lasted for about 50 minutes until a few minutes before 6am when things went silent.

KDF troops at the camp retreated to their normal routines, chatting about the engagements, and even helping their counterparts from the Somali National Army prepare breakfast.

The calm did not last long.

About 20 minutes past six, the surveillance drone noticed hundreds of insurgents approaching the camp from various directions.


Although the drones noticed the approach of the first vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices, the commanders are said to have been caught too unawares to quickly repulse the oncoming vehicles that drove through the fence of the camp before exploding.

One soldier is said to have single-handedly shot at an oncoming vehicle filled with explosives driven by a suicide bomber, with an 84mm anti-tank gun.

According to survivors, the soldier — whose identity we are yet to establish — risked his life as he shot at the driver of the vehicle with the bomb, which exploded after breaching the outer perimeter.

The result of the explosion was so intense that fragments from the explosive and the heat reached the KDF men lying in wait at the front trenches.

After the explosion, pandemonium broke out at the camp.

Some of the survivors say that during the attack they prayed that the enemy would run out of ammunition as rocket-propelled grenades whooshed, gunshots sounded like splitting wood and AK-47s chattered.

In the words of a survivor who contacted his family, “the jungle was erupting in fire”.

“Cries of help were drowned by pounding booms of explosions and artillery shells. It was just sounds of bullets firing, mortar, artillery and explosions,” a survivor recalled.

Scrambling to avoid the hail of bullets, the soldiers took whatever shelter they could find and returned fire.

In this mayhem, Captain Ekidor is said to have led his men to put up a defence at a position from where they could see the second vehicle with the bomb fast approaching the camp.

The captain and his men are said to have shot at the vehicle and Al-Shabaab fighters approaching from the fringes.

The bomb exploded as it approached his men.

After the second explosion, a decision was made to withdraw soldiers from the front trenches, many of whom were fighting with multiple injuries from bullets and shrapnel.


As this went on, the militants fired at defensive trenches with heavy machine guns and rocket propelled grenades (RPGs).

Then things got worse. A third vehicle breached the inner defence and exploded.

After this, the attackers ran all over the camp hunting down KDF troops.

Even a heavy downpour did not help in muffling the exchange of fire.

With dozens of men suffering life-threatening injuries, without artillery support, pinned down by RPGS, hand grenades, unending fire from machine guns and small arms, the situation looked bleak.

A decision to withdraw from the camp is said to have been made.

Soldiers say that it became a matter of running for dear life to the nearby bush.

The troops fought bravely but were eventually overwhelmed.

Al-Shabaab fighters overran the camp, took useful supplies and ammunition and started celebrating with chants of "Allah akbar".

KDF troops managed to regroup and reorganised to launch a major counter-offensive.

The arrival of a KDF Z9 attack helicopter signified a crucial turning point in the battle.

The helicopter fired at the militants, forcing them to scatter.

Hours later, a team of Special Forces from Lamu and a Quick Response Force drawn from the 17KR Battalion stationed at Hulugho arrived at the camp.

This version looks a bit realistic, truthful with no bias. RIP to our fallen heroes.


Hell no. This sounds horrendous, complete with sound effects:eek:, so which version is true…

Ferk bingwa

1 Like

This is the 101 version of the story I have heard and waiting for more to be cooked

This sounds alot more accurate, it tallies with the first update the KDF spokesman gave where he said the camp had been overrun after the soldiers made a tactical withdrawal to avoid getting massacred where they regrouped and reorganised themselves and managed to retake the camp. KDF did well on this one but they really need a solution to neutralise these Vihecle-Borne IEDs.

Kudos to our soldiers, vita sio mchezo

This is the wasaliliti necrophiliac version, the one JaKuon would like to be true so that his premature ejaculation isjustified.

1 Like

I do not understand why the military keeps failing to neutralise VBIEDs. The fact is, wen one penetrates the camp, the game is over. It will devastate anything within a 50m radius. SO, A VBIED SHOULD NEVER, EVER, BE ALLOWED TO PENETRATE A CAMP.

Now, a VBIED is just a vehicle loaded with explosives. It is so eay to stop that it beggars belief why the military keeps failing. Surrounding a camp with huge rocks will do the trick. So will situating a base on elevated, rocky ground (most US camps in Afghanistan were this way). Or digging a trench all around. Or just placing tank-traps all around. The solutions are so, so many.

I also think that for Somalia, Kenya should revoke the ban on landmines. These are the easiest to stop VBIEDs. You simply ring a base with them and voila, you are safe!


Apparently, BBC, aljezeera, CNN and other international media are yet to make any news regarding this event. Nmeona Citizen Tv wakidai more than 30 soldiers fell.


So they saw militias coming fought them for a while and then they dropped their guard and went on with their duties only to be attacked unawares? that doesn’t make sense


True, some talkers are now milking it for likes

And where did you get your degree in defence matters Mr. Keyboard expert

1 Like

This narration is really really scary.
If they overran the camp then more damage was done, more than what we are being told. My condolences to the families who lost their loved ones, it is very devastating to receive a call bearing those news.

^^^^Gugu Yunifasete. Next question pris?

1 Like

Give us the right one the know it all…You should know that in this era you will never bar people from accessing information and for this case the truth.The above version doesn’t differ with what I heard from a horses mouth…But go on with your sycophancy …

Keep calling our journalist wasaliti, but bring the correct version of the story. As ice cube said, the real death seem to be (Govt version + Alshakeb version) / 2.

@KinduKiega & @Chifu, stop getting hysterical. That last account reads like those narratives that get distorted at each retelling.

The military is not a political party and is not supposed to serve journalists or keep voters informed. Right now, priority is to bury the dead with dignity, console the bereaved, nurse the unjured and protect those still in the battle zone.

When did you become a military expert?

Whether 2, 10,50,100 KDF soldiers or the Shabaab militants died is not relevant. What matters is what the government will decide to do next. The soldiers went to war and they know too well that they can be attacked and killed at any time, so they should be always ready to die (and everyone on earth by the way). I suspect that there are days that the KDF loses one or two soldiers but it is never reported in the media or if it is, the cause of death is probably a lie. The stories can be cooked, by whomever wishes to, for various reasons pertinent with the narrator’s interest. The truth is out there somewhere but the question remains, what next?

Should we adopt that as the mode of operation.“what next” seems not to be working…even if death is imminent,we don’t deserve to lose these soldiers.we cannot keep saying ,“mmh now that is done ,we have learnt our lesson now what next” my what next is they should come and protect our country from within our boundaries

1 Like

We aren’t voters, we are relatives, friends and citizens at large who demand to know what is happening to them. If your brother is in military and he happens to be missing over the phone and yet he was stationed at this camp, ungekuwa unasumbua sirkal on his whereabouts.

1 Like