How many Kenyans own Refrigerators?

Correction: The issue was to do with less generation to satisfy the demand. That is now more than satisfied after the wind power up north and the Olkarias were fed in. In fact once they realised there is oversupply, the Ministry dropped the compulsory solar water heaters installation idea. The bill to give ERC the powers to enforce the compliance was dropped. Now they even stopped the inspection of new buildings to ensure that.

And the 2nd circuit of the HV underground cabling was commissioned last month.

Generation has never really been a problem since we could always meet additional demand using the diesel plants/importation shida ni transmission and distribution system. Places like the coast and western still lack an efficient transmission system and have to rely on diesel plant and or importation of power from neighbouring countries. That’s why those fighting Lamu coal plant have no idea how important that plant was. Now ketraco has to construct hundreds of kilometres of lines so that the coast and western can keep draining the little available power we have and further overload the grid because kengen can’t build enough power plants fast enough.

When everything is said and done though, the real problem is over reliance on KPLC as the sole distribution monopoly. Now kengen and ketracco have to work at KPLC’s pace despite the company having a fixed amount of power it can buy even though it’s broke.

If we had more companies buying more power then people would be encouraged to use it and companies would invest since we have a surplus and ketracco would also have more reason to increase their connection pace thereby making everything efficient and bringing down the price of electricity.

That is an outdated policy though the ERC insists on it.
The policy was made way back in 2011 when Kiraitu Murungi was Energy Minister.
Back then our installed capacity was slightly less than 1200MW and our reserve margin was around 200MW as peak power was 1000 MW. However in the present day our installed capacity is 2,351 MW and peak power is 1500 MW.
We can more than handle energy spikes.
The main excuse today is overloading of power lines in Nairobi which is a valid reason.

Generation was an, issue that is why we used to have power rationing around 2003.Now the generations have improved with an installed capacity of 2300MW against a peak demand of 1750MW.Even more generations were lined up for development (the GDC Wells are yet to be utilised) till it was realised that demand was not catching up as expected. That is why the push on domestic connections(Last Mile) and Street lighting were fast tracked in the recent past.

Unfortunately with minimal domestic uptake(we need no air conditioning nor have washing machines, few and efficient household electronics etc) we are left with industrialisation, electrified transportation etc as substantial power consumers.
Currently on net we export to UG so importation of power never covered our demand. Thermal sourced are meant for peak demand only, though we have been generating at some point to cover base load. The effect of that has been evident from our bills.
Transmission connection remains a challenge for the Western, Nyanza and Rift regions due to the already overloaded link.

Ethiopia has slave Labour kind of wages. No wonder the Chinese and like minded like it there.

Leta hekaya my fren , umechapwa shock ukiwa bafu:D:D:D:D:D

The overloading issue around Nairobi is now sorted. The Nairobi North-Suswa Line that used to be overloaded and with no redundancy has now gotten an alternative path with the Suswa-Embakasi line commissioned by Ketraco.
The policy on solar water heaters was and is still good. I installed it the other day and the free hot water is impressive. The idea was opposed by KPLC and Ministry as it was counterproductive to the increased generation drive. Remember, through the already signed PPAs KPLC was already obliged to buy and pay for the power from the generators irregardless of the consumption.

The landlord should supply this.

My friend, let’s first feed ourselves. Food sustainability is the step to what you have written above for majority of Kenyans

Kidero is that you?

Does anyone have any stats as too how many household own fridges?

True. Food is overrated!

A fridge is not a necessity in Kenya. We have the time and the chance to buy fresh milk, meat, vegetables and such from our shops and markets daily. In the Western world, things are quite different, thus you need a fridge to stock up on what you need to use for at least a month. Ask @Mrs Shosho . On the issue of microwave oven, that’s no-go zone. You are just breeding cancer.

Fridges were invented in the 19th century. And not many people had them. In the 20th century when the technology was improved upon. It literally opened the doors of development of western economies. Meaning food good travel further, spoilage and wastage was cut down, food could be preserved at temperatures where bacteria can’t breed. Etc.

Fridges are a highly needed appliance in the world we live in. Probably one of the greatest inventions ever made by mankind.

Owning a fridge can’t stop people from enjoying and eating fresh food. But allows one to properly stock on food and accordingly shop.

I live in a place where everything is found cheaply and fresh daily. I have never seen the use of a fridge so far. I would rather upgrade on my current TV or buy the latest model of laptop or buy myself a good suit. I can’t buy what I don’t need and a fridge is something I don’t need!

You are a mind reader! I read this thread jana and those were my exact thoughts. One does not need a fridge in Muchatha…TBH the ones I have seen are normally almost empty. Get fresh greens from your shamba or buy them cheap. Those Ruaka minted homeowners/tenants will not be moving back to Nbo anytime soon.
Well story is different here…fridge needs to be stocked up at all times if you can. One some of the organic stuff and halal meat could be far away from you so you do one big shopping…unapitia kwa mhindi and pick more stuff like rice in bulk, sembe etc…two…no time to do those run arounds if you work and have a young family.
Yes most people do not use the microwave now.

Thanks

Rotich isn’t going to reduce taxes at anytime. Not when the very real threat of debt default looms large.