Hospitals and Overbilling. A Gertrude's Production

Stop misleading people. Kwa hiyo bill yote what proportion is doctors fee? Kidogo Sana. The institution gets the bulk of money.
Hata hiyo fee ya surgical toilet, there is doctors fee for the procedure, time of operation charged per hour, charge for anaesthesia drugs, the things used like giving set, brannula, infusion fluids etc. Doctors fee is least compared to all these.

Very true. Some people associate big private hospitals with better care compared to public.
Infact likely in public hospital jamaa hata hangekuwa admitted. But depends on wound size also

Most are unnecessary. But private blazima watengeneze pesa to turn a profit.
People have options. Hizo insurance would still work in public. Hata hange tumia 20k

Some times back my kid was vomiting so I decided to take him to getrudes because it was one of the facilities I could access with my medical card. Kufika huko they recommended immediate admission and a plethora of tests including blood tests and a head scan. It made me very scared and decided to seek a second opinion elsewhere and the other hospital just gave my boy some tablets and he was OK after 2 days. Iam sure the getrude bill would have been over 100k but we ended up with a bill of just 1k in the other facility.

Hiyo jina doctor inakuwa misused Sana. Even nurses, clinical officers can own hospitals. Secondly most big private hospitals are owned by institutions eg Catholic Church, aga Khan community.
Some are owned by non medics but bank roll a medic and use their license to set up the facility

Unless we are shown the operative report it’s hard to tell exactly what was ailing this patient. Could be anything from a joint infection, deep tissue infection, lacerated blood vessels or tendons. What we know is that this child was taken to the theater 3 times which suggests it’s more serious than the parent is letting on. If you think this bill is over-the-top, try a leg amputation and life-long disability.

Running a private hospital in Nairobi doesn’t come cheap. Hospitals are one of the greatest tax generators for the government so taxation must be factored into their cost of operations. Remember you’re also dealing with professionals who must receive pay that’s above a living wage to make their efforts worthwhile. Everything costs money. From maintaining impeccable hospital grounds, cleaning and disinfecting the wards especially in these covid times, this has really eaten into many hospitals’ bottom line. I’m surprised they never charged for covid testing because where I work every single patient who’s scheduled for an operation must have a recent covid test.
It costs money to keep the lights on and water bills too, the cost of heating water… We know that KPLC bills aren’t cheap. Then there are surgical personnel which includes circulating nurses, scrub technicians, anesthesia, cleaners who are all on the payroll. Anesthesia machines require special ventilation systems for scavenging noxious gases. Surgical instruments have to be taken for autoclaving which is a special method of deep cleaning instruments after use.
I’ve seen people are complaining about the cost of food but you have to know that a nutritionist had to organize the hospital menu. Running an industrial hospital kitchen is quite a complex, expensive affair. There are also chefs as well the dishwashers and wait staff who deliver this food to the patient, it costs money to do that. There are machines that need regular servicing, reagents for testing blood samples…the list goes on and on. The pharmacy department is another area which requires qualified professionals who won’t mix up drugs or administer wrong dosages. Everything costs a lot of money so if a hospital doesn’t bill correctly, they won’t have an adequate budget for upkeep, future expansion plans, money to hire consultants, or buy state of the art equipment.

We also haven’t factored inflation, which is getting worse in Kenya due to currency depreciation against the dollar. These are some of the real effects of a bad economy on the lives of Kenyans.

@grandpa you have made me laugh so hard on that joke.

That said pole sana. That was hard. Thanks for the link you have provided.

Mjamaa, catholic-run hospitals are usually generally very affordable for the quality of service they provide. You can’t compare them to clearly-for-profit hosis like Agha Khan.

I know. I was just highlighting that most privately owned hospitals are run by institutions like churches etc

Sio hivyo
In Kasarani for instance, there is NO PUBLIC HOSPITAL
Just ka one dispensary hapo kwa D.O which is not open on weekends
But private hospitals are many

St Francis a card costs 700 bob
!!

Sometimes people have no choice

No one in government thinks about such issues

Apart from st Francis Kasarani

you could have gone to the local dispensary and had the thing covered up in a bandage, upewe antibiotics, painkillers, na aende nyumbani. Ulikuwa unataka maringo na umeipata

Same problem??
Ukidungwa kisu Na wakora usiku do you have the luxury of choosing which hospital to go to?

This did not happen to me. This is just a thread I picked up on twitter

Purple how’s the medical coding and billing profession? Does it provide opposhunetes ama it’s saturated? There was a time I toyed with the idea of taking that course.

that is what they do. it is an ongoing scam. There is a well-known solution but nobody wants to use it. Everyone in the whole wide world knows what the solution is. Dunia mzima inajua solution but nobody wants to admit

?

It’s alright, jobs are plentiful. The average salo is around $40k a year so don’t expect to get rich from doing it, but you can work from home which is a plus. I know a lady who studied this specialty at USIU and later moved these sides. She seems to like it.

Huyo mtoto alidungwa kisu?? Wacha ujinga.

The filthy rich, non tax-paying Catholic Church subsidizes their costs of operations so you can’t compare with private hospitals who don’t have the same luxury of dipping into a bottomless piggy bank.