Comedian Njugush ventures into matatu biznez. Is this a good idea?

I wish all the best in this venture.
However if he is not familiar with the business and just jumped into it because Super Metro Sacco is doing well, he better be very very alert.
Otherwise kitakuja kumramba.

Hii biashara iko na wenyewe ambao ni; Drivers, Makanga and Police. They work in cahoots to fleece the unsuspecting vehicle owners, by looting their daily collections, Selling genuine spare parts and replacing with cheap fake ones, and fueling the vehicle with cheap substandard diesel.(Ile imekamuliwa kwa trucks)
They also engage in paying off gangs like mungiki to protect their interests and territories.

Wewe na matatu yako you come off last coz as soon as you are done and dusted, they will move on to the next foolish victim…

Which business venture doesn’t involve losses/risks, why assume he doesn’t have that info already or are you assuming he’s just a comedian who doesn’t know anything outside comedy. BUT again such typical kenyan behaviour to always point out VERY WELL how others making the move are going to fail huh?

Given his clout, hio gari itakuwa private hire a lot of the time.

3 Likes

So…diesel imekamuliwa kutoka kwa trucks ni sub-standard how? For all I know, the trucks get their diesel from petrol stations, unless kuna kitu sishikanishi…

3 Likes

anakuja kumaliza @Yuletapeli

2 Likes

A very big misconception

1 Like

He should save dilligently. Very dilligently, hata kama ni 3 years consistently, akiweka some of the money in mmf or tbills etc. Hio biz iko na pesa but as advised hapo juu, the personell running the business ndio shida. Polisi si shida vile because the management takes care of that. Hio loan atalipa in 5 years, the first 2 years will be very profitable depending na vile ameitunza, the third year ita anaza mechanical issues kidogo, 4th year ata aanza kubeba kiti ake hapo kwa mechanic due to frequent visits. 2nd year lazima irudi jikoni for bodywork ama dereva atashukisha daily earnings from maybe 8k to 6k daily. Etc etc.

3 Likes

Hehe, kaka hapa unatupisha elders mbao. ukiwa na basi yako super metro, driver anakupea pesa yako by saa nane. Huko hakuna upuss. What you just described used to happen na iliiisha kitambo sana. 15 years ago to be precise. Kitu itamkimbisha ni loan. Basi ya 7M sio mchezo.

1 Like

Atī illisha 15 years ago?

Cracking Up Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos
Do you really think so?
I have a relative who invested in city shuttle in 2018 when they were the talk of the town just like super metro today.

Gari iko parked kwa petrol station pale umioja 3 since 2021. He doesn’t know what happened nor does have the money to show for it.

Another cop friend of mine (normal cop) bought a route 58 nganya. Akawapea target ya 10k daily. Alichotwa na auctioneers after 1 year.

A good friend of mine bought nganya za 44 (christened Ararat)…boss huyo mjamaa karibu arudi Ocha.Ni vile alikuwa na hustle ingine ya Shylocking.
My own cousin who is a high school tisha alinunua brand new nissan za kwenda Meru (Unique Shuttle), tuseme Tu yeye alisema wacha asomeshe akingonjea retire.

I am not discouraging Njugush or you but if you learnt about monopoly, duopoly, oligopoly and perfect competition businesses in Econ 101, you know what I mean.

Hio biashara iko na wenyewe.

7 Likes

Been in the industry since 2014. The first six months were tough, I regreted. Anxiety nonstop. I got to know police stations and the officers. Luckily my bro alikuwa OCPD so nilikuwa safe kiasi. Again vile nilionyesha dalili za kushindwa, nilishikwa mkono na friend, yule ali ni advise ni join industry. Otherwise singetoboa.

Mat business haitaki utumie hio pesa for the first three years, lipa loan first. Makosa watu hufanya, wanategemea gari. Inaanza kulipa rent and some even upgrade their lifestyle.
Alafu if you want to be successful have atleast two, moja itakwama.
Hata hivyo, I cannot advise anyone to enter the industry. Hio pesa heri tu mtu ashike shamba alime mboga zake na afuge ng’ombe, mbuzi na kuku. Matatu ni stressful sana. Sana. I repeat. Sana. Maintenance ni agter every three weeks. Sasa ifanye makosa NTSA waidundie watoe number plate, hio gari itachotwa.

Na by the way

"Gari iko parked kwa petrol station pale umioja 3 since 2021. He doesn’t know what happened nor does have the money to show for it" hii ni ile naionanga hapo shell ya kuingia komarock? Ama pale feroz, some meters to total station.

6 Likes

Ziko mingi Sana along that stretch.
Ni vile Tu najua story ya hio Moja.

1 Like

Angel Yupateli hata biashara ya matatu anafanya safi kama pamba. My role model

I saw the clouting waliingia nayo nikajua tu hapa kuna a lot of assumptions made. Though nikasema maybe Njugush ameingia ile gang ya “no kugeria mani”.Hao hawaekangi akili yote kwa investment moja, they don’t care if it work out or not, just interested in the title.

Now back to the reality in matatu industry. Yes, supermetro ndio kusema sai but most profits are going back to the sacco itself. The supporting staff including investors, tudere na makanga wote wameekwa kwa side pocket, they eat the remains. Kama wenye already wako kwa industry wanalia na mtu ako na gari tatu. To get the first hand, ongea na jamaa anaitwa “Maina” amejaa machungu za hio sacco.

Btw jamaa wa “enabled sacco” pia alijitoa kwa hio sacco. aliwaibia proper before setting up his own sacco.

1 Like

Noma sana. Its not advisable to join the sector kabisa.

A new bus inachezea 7M. Kulipa loan ya 120k every month plus insurance na ni comprehensive inakuja an average of 190k inalipwa within 4 years. Stress.

Vile mat ni nyingi inamanisha competition iko juu sana. Mwenye basi pale super metro anabaki na 2k after amelipa loan daily kitu ka six k. Na stil hio 2k ndio service, na incase iharibike ama ishikwe.

Gari zinavurugwa kutafuta hio ten k. In four years time hio gari itakuwa inalalisha 4-5k. After kusumbuka kulipa loan. Alafu kabla irudishe pesa ile the owner aliwekelea another one year plus. Kumanisha akianza kula gari sasa unapata iko kwa stage ya mashida, inalalisha 4k.

At time hakuna haja kabisa. Heri mtu afungue duka ya wholesale hata ya cereal na anunue pickup ajijenge mosmos. Nahurumia new entrants sana.

By the way ndio super metro iweke 10k daily kama za kangundo road unapata ina cover almost 500km daily. Hio gari inaisha kuisha.

7 Likes

Sacco huwa imefinya kadere na makanga sana. Kumbuka hakuna kubeba excess ati imesimamisha watu.

1 Like

My assumptions ni

1. Full capacity… 33
  2. Average fare… 50
  3. Average fare per trip… 1,650
  4. Number of minimum trips per day… 10
  5. Minimum daily fafe… 16,500

What’s wrong with those assumptions?

1 Like

Do you have to get one brand new?

1 Like

How can you do 10 trips in a day buana? There are many factors to consider like the breaks when waiting for the rotation at the main stage, lunch break and those slow times when filling up one matatu takes 20 minutes or more. Utapata the trips are maybe 5 in a day. Good thing about matatu business is you can probably take one day off to silently follow one matatu the whole day and do realistic calculations.

But those napkin calculations you are doing with the assumption that the staff and bus are just automatons, hivo ndio watu hutupa pesa with ridiculous assumptions

6 Likes

Angel???

@Yuletapeli usiwai okota 150 Kwa chuom yoyote river road…might be a trap

4 Likes

Gari nunua cash kama hauna pesa shikanisha parts na uwekelee body works. Achana na loans

3 Likes