Your politician owes you nothing (Part 1).

I know this will annoy and infuriate some of you, but you need to hear the bitter truth.

Yesterday I was listening to 7 O’clock news inside a matatu as I headed to my house (I do not recall the radio station’s name). I remember one of the news items was about drought and how it (drought) has caused irreparable loses to pastoralists and people living in ASALs. The journalist interviewed a certain (old) man who said that he has never had a decent meal in the last TEN YEARS! Surprisingly, the last ‘decent’ meal he had, he said, was rice that an NGO had donated to their village (but he said or thought ni serikali). He then asked the government to send them more food.

I was infuriated I swallowed thick, sick phlegm.

Who cursed us? Who taught us to be so useless that for ten years someone cannot come up with solutions to their own problems? Why would a grown ass man wait for the government to put food on his table, in his mouth and chew for them? He went ahead and said that sometimes they make ropes that they sell and if one is lucky, they can make 250/= in a day.

I puked in my mouth.

In this life, I have come to learn that NO ONE is responsible for solving your problems except yourself. The government can only help in resolving conflicts occasionally. If life was as simple as the (old) man wants and the government fed him, all of us straining under the scorching equatorial sun in Nairobi would rush to ASALs to be fed too!

I think this person is not hungry; he is just too lazy. If I were him (or some kikuyus I know), I would have invented the strongest rope known to man. F*ck, that village should own the largest rope making company in Kenya with each villager owning equal shares - if they were hungry enough! Perhaps they are pastoralists who move from place to place looking for greener pastures, but they should have moved on from these caveman trends! It was okay in the past to move because there was so much unused land everywhere, but we are in the 21st century! Evolve already!

Natural selection is at play, now more than ever. It has already killed those who waited for the government to feed them, soon we shall have elections and more idiots will kill each other. The cycle shall go on until a few will remain who can actually work and feed themselves and leave politics out of it. Ask any successful businessperson and they will tell you hard work pays, but you will first have to go through hell (and sewages) to make it and maintain it.
Politics is part of our life but if we make it our life and blame our failures on politicians, extinction shall befall each one of us.

(PS. I am using ‘old’ in parenthesis because his voice sounded like a 30 year old but coughed like a 90 year old. The interviewer sounded confused by the same too).

9 Likes

Ni venye sijui ku attach video, iko video nimeona nika toa ka chozi

2 Likes

what is it about

Drought na mashida venye watu wana struggle

1 Like

I have watched plenty. They are traumatizing but the truth is that there is no amount of external help that will end mashida unless the victims are ready and willing to work towards ending it. Hata mzazi wako can only feed you for a short period of your life.

5 Likes

tafuta mtu hapo karibu umpatie simu…

2 Likes

Cant read all this shit

2 Likes

Ouch

2 Likes

I pay my single mother mama wa nguo a little more than the 250 for a day’s work before she goes to kata kata mboga and she is able to fend for her three children.

4 Likes

Bibi alitoroka?

Hapana. Ako nyumbani but I am one of those men forced to live in another town for work reasons.

3 Likes

But if we have good policies and infrastructure in the North like good dams, then we squarely blame them. But I agree with you that laziness is their own undoing

Tafutia watoto Karo ya shule

1 Like

:D:D:D:D:D
Ama umedivorce gachewing?

Hapana. Happily married these 22 years and hope to remain so the rest of my life.

A change of some beliefs and culture would go a long way. Most Kenyans believe owning a piece of land = richness. Even empty parcels that should be put to good use… I think land is a factor of production. Others think their herd or cattle is wealth. Maybe, but not for long if the weather pattern is anything to go by. You’ll have a sizeable herd one minute. A thin one the next, and so on and so forth.

2 Likes

What do you consider wealth in your own terms? What do you own if that is not richness

1 Like

Wealth is not static. That is the much I know. A plot of land, say 50*100, somewhere in Kitengela may be worth 800k now, say, but appreciates over time In two yrs, may be 1m, or not. May decline in value as well. But if used to develop real estate, its value increases beyond being just a mere parcel of land. When you put up a factory hapo, its worth to you increases. You retain its value as a parcel of land, plus gain from its use. Idle land does not give you much.
Ng’ombe zikifa, your riches goes from 200 cattle to sero!!! Sero with only carcasses to show. What if you dispose of the stock frequently enough so you have some form of revolving stock that you can manage even during drought? Will you not be gaining periodically while keeping a herd you can manage?

Anyways, pengine kuwa na a large herd or idle land = assured riches.

2 Likes

Very rich = wealthy, simple language

1 Like

Land is still used as a yardstick of possessions. But that is the agrarian mentality of the yester centuries. We are in the information age, and the quality of one’s ideas and implementation of the same is what matters. A guy runs a telegram subscription channel for betting and does better than someone with a not so easy to pronounce five year university degree…

1 Like