Word of Advice

Whenever you import that car from the UK or Japan, always make a point of changing the timing belt. This unlucky man has had his KCF subaru car messed up. He will have to replace the whole engine. So sad while the timing belt kit would have cost him a mere 35k. Have a great Monday and Goodmorning @MISCHIEF
Pictures
[ATTACH=full]23388[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]23389[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]23390[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]23391[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]23392[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]23393[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]23394[/ATTACH]

1 Like

About timing belt and other stuff I leave them for my mech, very hard decipher every part.

1 Like

That’s an exception for an unlucky guy, do people normally change the belt? I don’t think so and they are still motoring.

1 Like

This is not a problem caused by the belt. It’s very clear the car doesn’t have a sump guard. My thinking is debris from wherever he passed somehow found its way up to the belt and probably caused the jam or shear. My thoughts.

@MISCHIEF kumbe unakuwanga makanika…

1 Like

It’s recommended to change at 100,000km intervals. If the belt has been changed before car leaves Japan, there’ll be a sticker on the timing belt cover indicating the mileage at which it was changed. Of course with our penchant for tampering with the mileage then…

Halafu, sio lazima a-replace engine yote. Often, only the cylinder head (complete set with valves, camshaft(s), etc). Sometimes, depending on especially on the speed at which it happened, one may have to replace the piston heads too. I however expect the engine block to be intact.

Because of the often questionable quality of the spare parts available locally, I always advise intervals of around 80k km. 100k might be pushing one’s luck too far. Na ajaze hizo sticker aweke moja on the cover na ingine mahali haitatolewa or be accidentally painted over, e.g. on the inside of the glove compartment etc.

All in all, pole kwake.

4 Likes

But the belt is usually covered completely. How would debris get there?

Daktari, hebu look at the pictures well. Hiyo uchafu kwa belt imetoka wapi?

If it cuts why does the whole engine need a replacement? Wont stuff just stop moving the moment it snaps?

like daktari noted hapo juu, the timing belt keeps the lower part of the engine in sync with the upper part, the cylinder head…if it snaps the parts run into each other causing damage to the valves pistons camshaft etc depending on how fast the engine was running when belt snapped…

To me hiyo haikai uchafu. Ni the ‘threaded’ part of the belt imetokana kabisa, kinda like the way a cardigan comes apart.

hii inakaa nikama it did not snap but slipped…a pulley or bearing must have broken up causing the belt to slip and hence the debris from the belt itself

Stuff doesn’t just stop moving in an instant. The timing belt connects the camshaft (which controls the opening and closing of intake and exhaust valves) to the crankshaft (which controls the up and down movements of the pistons in the cylinders). When the belt snaps, this synchrony is messed up and it’s possible that the pistons and valves will impact on each other resulting in damage to either or both. Often, the camshaft itself will break up too coz of the impact.

2 Likes

Very possible. Or a chipped pulley that then shears the belt. Permutations hapa ni nyingi.

1 Like

shiet on a monday

I was told hakuna Gari ya Japan coming over to Kenya iko below 100,000 kms…ukipata 60,000 ujue ni 160,000 ya ukweli…no wonder most cars hubadilishwa shocks within the first 3 months

1 Like

HIYO BELT SI 35K

Yenyewe, it’s kinda foolhardy to expect a 7-8year old car to read 50k on the odometer don’t you think?

@Mercy is covertly advertising her new hardware and spare parts shop along kirinyaga road

1 Like

I wouldn’t tamper with the manufacturers timing if there isn’t a problem. You shouldn’t tinker with timing or you could easily blow the engine. A cracked/broken cylinder block.