Why does your pc get slow over time

This is a summary but I can go “deep” for anyone interested in technical details.

1. Software Rot: This refers to the gradual degradation of software performance over time due to accumulated bugs, inefficiencies, and leftover settings or code. It’s especially noticeable in operating systems like Windows, which may require periodic re-installation to maintain optimal performance. The constant addition and removal of software, coupled with poor coding practices, contribute to this phenomenon.

2. Heat: Dust accumulation on computer components, such as fans and heat sinks, can impede heat dissipation, leading to increased temperatures within the system. Elevated temperatures not only slow down electronic processes but also trigger safety mechanisms that reduce voltage and clock speeds to prevent overheating. Regular cleaning of components is essential to maintain efficient heat dissipation and prevent performance degradation.

3. Mechanical Entropy: Over time, the wear and tear on moving parts, such as fans and spinning drives, can lead to mechanical entropy, resulting in decreased performance. While this affects integrated circuits at a slower rate, it still contributes to the gradual slowdown of the system.

4. SSD Issues: Solid-state drives (SSDs) can experience slowdowns, particularly when nearing full capacity due to design flaws. Additionally, the limited number of read/write cycles in SSDs can lead to performance degradation over time. Maintaining sufficient free space on SSDs and having backups on traditional disk-based drives can mitigate these issues.

So in summary

1. Re-install windows at least once a year to avoid software rot.
  2. Get comfortable with a screw driver and clean the internal components at least every 3 months might be monthly or weekly depending on how hot and dusty the region you are.
  3. Mechanical entropy is unpreventable, I would recommend you to upgrade detachable parts if your using a desktop(modern parts are also faster than last generation). But generally get a new laptop/desktop every 5-7 years.
  4. Do not fill your SSD to full capacity and have backups in normal hdd’s . If you use a HDD do regular de-fragmentation and disk clean up.

BTW : Any competent repair shop(such as mine) should be able to provide this as a full service.

3 Likes