Where the statement "kila mtu akule kwao" is taken with some seriousness.

I found yesterday’s thread, amazing borders, particularly interesting. It reminded me of the Wagah border ceremony which marks closing of the India-Pakistan border gate in Amritsar, two hours before sunset each day.

The flag ceremony is conducted by Indian Border Security Force (BSF) and Pakistan Rangers (PR). It starts with a blustering parade by soldiers from both the sides and ends up in the perfectly coordinated lowering of the two nations’ flags. It is called the beating retreat border ceremony on the international level.

One infantryman stands at attention on each side of the gate. As the sun sets, the iron gates at the border are opened and the two flags are lowered simultaneously. The flags are folded and the ceremony ends with a retreat that involves a brusque handshake between soldiers from either side, followed by the closing of the gates again.

The ceremony was started in 1959 by both the governments as a gesture of good will but the ceremony took an aggressive turn after a few years. It manages to be ferocious, ludicrous and of course entertaining. Large crowds gather on either side of the gate, clap and cheer for their country; “Pakistan Zindabad!” and “Jai Hind!", as if they are cheering for a wrestling match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ImfIoX6zTM

credits:-

http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2013/08/01/nightly_border_closing_between_india_and_pakistan_is_an_elaborate_theater.html

13 Likes

Very colorful those two nations.

1 Like

That handshake was the shit:D

2 Likes

Hehehehehehe! Top entertainment. At least it keeps that smouldering conflict from flaring up.

1 Like

shida ni these MOFO countries wako na nuclear weapons future kutakuwa chida

:D:D:D

Ya South na North Korea is also very interesting, the change of guard must happen simultaneously

1 Like

I love it. These two countries were one nation,one people before introduction of borders.

1 Like

Imagine the whole place was india. A giant country.

1 Like

hehehheeeehe hawa watu wapendane waache ufal but kwa hio competition India imeshinda

1 Like

He he,
And to imagine they do it every day.

1 Like

Kali sana.

1 Like

Ongeza Bangladesh hapo. Three. India was really a huuuge country.

3 Likes