When To Choose And Pay For Death Over "Life"...

This is Diana’s tragic story.

She was involved in an accident that resulted in a spinal injury, which saw her confined to a wheelchair for six years after two years in a hospital bed.

“My sister had an accident in 2009,” narrated her sister somberly. “She was driving with her boyfriend on Ngong Road in the evening when their vehicle was hit head-on by another speeding car. The boyfriend died but she was injured.”
Diana, she said, was taken to Kenyatta National Hospital and later transferred to Kijabe Hospital. For close to two months, she was in the High Dependency Unit and then transferred to the ward. She would stay in hospital for close to two years.

Doctors ruled out the possibility of her ever walking again and when she was discharged, she could only use a wheelchair.
“She could not walk. We used to bathe her and clothe her. She wore diapers. We had to employ people to take care of her. None lasted a month. Initially, the forex bureau she used to work for sent her salary to her account for some time but stopped, I guess, because they lost hope in her ever going back to work,” the sister said.
As Diana was undergoing treatment for spinal injury, she was diagnosed with liver cancer after she developed some persistent abdominal pain. Doctors said the cancer was in advanced stages and because she was already taking painkillers, it had not manifested itself.

“The diagnosis made her condition worse. The doctors had to change her prescription and she had to undergo chemotherapy. She could not eat, her condition was pathetic… Her skin was hideous, she lost weight, her voice disappeared, and she cried night and day. Her lips were red. When she could, she took out her frustrations on Facebook, where she shared her story, with her pictures, before and after the diagnosis. At some point, she was so weak she just wanted to die,” her sister said.
On July 27, 2017 Diana wrote: “I have lived all I could. I created friends. God gave me a family. They have done all they could. Life cannot be anymore; death nears yet so far. To live is Christ and to die is gain.”
Two days later, she called all her family members to a meeting and had a simple request: she wanted assisted suicide.
“She said she had researched about euthanasia online and she was going for it. By then her hospital bill had accumulated to Sh8.4 million and she knew that no matter how much we spent on her, she would still die. We refused and told her about the sanctity of life. We told her a miracle could happen; that euthanasia was illegal in Kenya… That no hospital could agree to that. We refused although we knew her organs had failed.

“Later, her condition got worse and we took her to a Nairobi hospital. Sometimes she would writhe in pain and, in her very frail voice, she asked every doctor to switch off the ICU machines. She wanted death so much. One day when my elder brother was alone with her, she asked that we take her to a country where euthanasia is legal. She said she had done research online and was ready to die. She was persistent,” her sister said.
The family agreed to fly her to a European country that they prefer not to name and on October 16, 2017, she bid farewell to her brother, mother and sister.
The sister says Diana’s last words to her were, “thank you”.
Wasn’t it expensive flying all the way to Europe to die?
“We spent less than half a million on travel, like Sh 430,000 in total. The actual procedure was paid for by some activists my sister had met on social media. Apparently, she had joined some groups on Facebook and the members paid the hospital directly,” she said.

They airlifted the body back to Kenya and buried it at the Lang’ata Cemetery. The epitaph on her grave reads, “To Live is Christ and to Die is Gain.”
It is somewhat a representation of how she lived – and died.
Akinyi drafted the epitaph just days before she chose to die to free herself from excruciating pain and the numbing effects of medicines.
Long before she chose to die, Diana had had to bring herself to terms with her doctor’s verdict; that she had just a few days to live, because her malignant cancer had metastasized. But death was not coming, and her days were only filled with pain that only saw her use drug after drug.
In a corner of her room was a table laden with painkillers: Morphine oxycodone, fentanyl and others.
Her sister says that although these are the strongest painkillers, “at some point they seemed not to help much. She was in so much pain.”
“She used to cry a lot,” said the sister, who prefers anonymity in order to discuss the issue freely.
And so Diana continued waiting for death. When it was not coming eight years on, she made up her mind. She would fly out and have someone assist her to end her life.
Diana’s story is just one of many that illustrate the growing trend among Kenyans to seek mercy killings abroad in the face of laws banning the practice.
Article 26 of the Constitution sanctifies life, making mercy killing illegal. The law states that “no one should be deprived of their life intentionally, save for the extent authorized by the Constitution or any other written law”.

However, several families have told the Saturday Nation that they have overseen assisted suicides and mercy killings of their kin who had endured a lot of pain, with no hope of being healed as the cost of medication skyrocketed with every passing hour.
Although the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board says mercy killing is not acceptable, some Kenyans have confessed to the Saturday Nation that they subjected their kin to passive euthanasia, where they asked doctors to pull the plug or switch off the dependency machines in hospital after they realized that there was no hope of recovery.

A radio presenter confessed that when their four-year-old daughter who was born with mild met-hemoglobinemia, a blood disorder in which an abnormal amount of met-hemoglobin is produced, was later diagnosed with Leukemia which affected her organs, they agreed as a family to just end her life.
“Our baby was suffering, her hospital bill had accumulated to Sh 3.6 million and that is after we sold our land to pay part of the bill. She had spent almost half of her life in hospital. She was in and out of ICU and we could feel her pain. One day, we just told her doctor to switch off the machines and let her die peacefully because her small body had endured so much pain. It was painful, because every parent wants their baby to be healthy. But ours was suffering and to deny her death meant prolonging her suffering,” she said.
Asked whether she sometimes feels guilty for ending her daughter’s life, she said, “No, she was suffering and there were no hopes at all. Her organs had failed and there was never going to be a miracle about that.”

Continue here:


I just shed some tears this is not ok .

You are human, bro…

This is sad…many stories out there like this one and they are not told. May their souls rest in enteral peace.

Even Bob Collymore and Demathew ended their lives after suffering from cancer.

De’ Mathew?

Yes. He had advanced cancer and intentionally crushed his truck into the back of the lorry

Any evidence? Its a shocker

That’s the reality

Really? I heard it was some mechanical failure in his car that caused the accident

These are the stories you will never be told by any priest or pastor, they preach prosperity and unrealistic way of life. Death is not all that bad it is a friend that will save us all from agony at some point.

I would end mine if it became such an economical and social burden . You have to look deep in the eyes of those that are suffering in pain to understand how badly they want to die quick… I have,and its haunting