What do you see?

[ATTACH=full]157240[/ATTACH]

A lady in yellow dawning a helmet and lying on a gaming stretcher. But the right bum seems bigger than the left oneo_O

That is a male skeleton athlete.
During elite racing the rider experiences forces up to 5G and reaches speeds over 130 km/h. In other words, this is not a discipline for a faint hearted person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkMACzG6sWA

Ni mecho tu

I only see an athlete, what were we supposed to see? @Katombi naona ulikua unaangalia tako ya huyu athlete. I’m sorry to burst your bubble, this athlete is a man.

What are we expected to see?

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea — Tommie Smith and John Carlos raising their black-gloved fists on the medals podium at the 1968 Summer Olympics comes immediately to mind when many of us think about how race plays out at the Games.

While race has traditionally been a source of friction at the Olympics, the incremental rise in diversity puts these Winter Games in Pyeongchang in a new light.

We are, of course, in South Korea, and it and several Asian nations have sizable teams and contingents of fans, giving a jolt of diversity that was not as evident as in, say, Sochi, Russia, during the 2014 Games.

The first nation to march in the opening ceremony, after the customary kickoff by Greece, was the not-so wintry Ghana. (This was because the typical alphabetical order was determined by Korean, the language of the host country.)

Ghana’s sole athlete is Akwasi Frimpong, who races in skeleton, the event in which you sled headfirst down a twisting tubular sheet of ice at breakneck speed. He was born in Ghana but grew up in the Netherlands.

He told me he did not wish to be seen as a kind of novelty act, but as a serious athlete with Olympic dreams, like most everybody else here.
“I don’t want to be just a media guy,’’ he said, because he also believes in getting his story out to inspire young people.

No athlete representing an African nation has ever won a Winter Olympics medal but he hopes to eventually get one.
You’ll be reading more about him and others in The Times soon.
Thirteen athletes from eight African nations are competing in South Korea, the largest representation of athletes from African nations in any Winter Games.

Many of those athletes, like Mr. Frimpong, are immigrants with dual citizenship who reside in nations outside of Africa. While there are few wintry training spots in Africa, there is plenty of desire to support the homeland with Olympic pride.

The United States Olympic Committee, too, claims much progress in fielding a diverse team, as you can read in the piece below by our reporter Talya Minsberg.
Maame Biney, an American speedskater with bubbling enthusiasm, has become a social media avatar of positivity.

But that old tension hasn’t disappeared.
Shani Davis, an American speedskater who was the first African-American athlete to win an individual gold at a Winter Olympics, denounced a perceived snub when he was not given the chance to carry the American flag at the opening ceremony.

Even so, the overall and quite noticeable lack of people of African descent makes me recall a joke a friend told me before I got here: “You know black people don’t ski,” which, of course, is not true. But it’s a wink at the lingering perception of the events here being “white” sports. (For the record, several African athletes are in Alpine skiing events.)

As is often the case, the march of progress when it comes to race is often slow and not readily discernible, but still must be noted.
Randy Archibold is the deputy sports editor of The New York Times.

https://static01.nytimes.com/images/2018/02/14/sports/14shani-web/merlin_133769712_817c7010-15ee-4725-ab9d-4732b46a1af7-largeHorizontal375.jpg

KMA google images.

PS: I was looking for our sole athlete. Holla if you spot her. Did you know G is the first letter in the Korean alphabet?

Sabrina Wanjiku

[MEDIA=instagram]Be4_BT-lZDh[/MEDIA]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJL5T9OtY4A

Huyo mkenya alimaliza number ngapi kwa event yake?

If you find the event, kindly share.

Dwyfwy

Whaaat? I withdraw the bum comment.