Uncle Nyam....

Hakuna thread ya agriculture lakini wacha Ni kuulise Tu…

Kwenu Ni hizo chini ya milima za Arberdares? Ikiwa wee Ni mnunuaji huyo baridi unawezanaga nayo. Nyandarua n its environs is not a place unaeza jenga retirement palace kaa venye ulikuwa unadanganya unicorn. What are your genuine advice to potential investors juu nime think of hio area lakini haingii. Ng’ombe huwa zinafungwa Na kamba mguu wa nyuma. Mabati za nyumba Ni rust Tu Na zinaanguka. Tena nyasi Ni zile za kutengeneza huts. Hebu nipe one positive thing niwe neiba bana.

wacha fitina…Nyandarua is the land of milk and…potatoes (read that as chips, crisps, roast, mukimo, wedges, brown hash etc etc)

1 Like

Don’t be cheated. Milk is because of two cows free range in one homestead multiplied by that expanse terrain. No zero grazing. Tethering. So that’s not for business. Carrots,potatoes…who ever got rich with them that area? None. Harvesting time tonnes n tonnes from farmers. Intact wale huosha carrots wana pesa nyingi kushinda farmers

1 Like

Infact ile picha Uncle Nyan aliweka kuonyesha magutu in his land Kuna ng’ombe mbili tethered mguu WA nyuma in the background. How do you get rich with methods we employed in 80s?

First and foremost, huko baridi ni fiam. Huwezi pata pub ama duka inauza soda /beer kwa fridge tayari environment ni fridge. Visibility iko down sana morning na jioni nikama you are in a fairytale ghost land[ATTACH=full]11424[/ATTACH]
But the place is very fertile and productive for horticulture. Eg cabbages, green peas, potatoes, carrots, can fetch you good money. [ATTACH=full]11425[/ATTACH]
In summary, it’s an investment worth the risk. I am planting green peas for the December festivities which brings me to the next point, Timing. Time your crops for a favourable market environment

5 Likes

Hio shamba ya uncle nyam waluyha wakileta nyef nyef ajue ni yangu

2 Likes

You are right. Farmers are ripped off by middle men because of lack of transportation and information regarding market prices. But if you can cut off the middleman and transport it yourself, you can earn good money my friend. Wacha nisimwage mtama Hehe

1 Like

i am surprised that someone with such a deep understanding of market dynamics as @bjurmann cannot see the opportunities in Nyandarua.

1 Like

I am surprised too :frowning: for example juzi i was taking feterlizer, on my way back, my partner and i decided to carry cabbages back to nai in the truck. We carried in excess of 1000 cabbages for 10bob @ from a farmer since our Stock was depleted . Sold them in Nairobi for 35@ later in the evening and early next day. Minusing fuel and expenses like 6k, it was worth it :):):slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can say with authority that the next big thing in kenya will be food production,vile naona arable land being subdivided into small plots in 10 years to come ,farming will pay bigtime

3 Likes

And you are right, it’s the land of milk. 50@litre… and irrigation will become a word you just hear about

You are a good guy Uncle Nyam. Will join you sometimes. As of now akili zangu ziko Kirinyaga county. Don’t be sucked into traditional farming za hao wasee. Timing. You have said it. Timing. Loitoktok…akili zangu ziko huko.

2 Likes

He he gashwin kubadilishana mawaidha aisee…

you can say that a thousand times…kwanza the next generation of adults know zilch about farming, and they look at it with disdain…

5 Likes

I’m in agreement breh. Ukiwa Na ka quarter upwards. Uta make pesa. Na tena Ni hobby. Nothing great Kama kuona ng’ombe iki actiwa Na AI…mtoi anazaliwa Na unamuona akikua. Priceless.

3 Likes

You know the way you started the thread you sounded like the guys I left there when I went out for greener pastures. The ka-house you described with the rusty roof is the same one I left them in 20 yrs ago. The tu-ng’ombes and the ubiquitous tethered half-merino sheep are still the same. Its like time stood still.
Not surprisingly these former classmates/agemates who will come to greet me (you know what that means) when they “hear” that I have visited will find excuses to shoot down all the ideas you suggest to them that can pull them out of their complacency…they are in a cycle that requires interventions so that the next generation can be jerked up to see beyond their nose…can you imagine my cousin chooses to be a potato packer while his ten acres is full of magutu where five miserable sheep graze?

3 Likes

wacha nikwambie for free ,mimi huwa naendea ngombe zangu za kukamua huko,wacha nikwambie kuna zingine huwa zinakamuliwa kama zinakunywa maziwa,failure to,zinaweza kufa juu ya kupungukiwa na calcium juu ya vile zinatoa maziwa mingi

3 Likes

Good luck guys tell me more about other places

Haki ya nani @Guru bae tununue puloti huko ya farming? We can build an hacienda huko

1 Like

Nice info guys. Is it possible to rent land from an owner in the areas you’ve mentioned for a fixed period of time to plant some stuff?