The Nyamgondho guide to buying a TV: Panel integrity (TL;DR)

TVs have no short cut. the cheaper you go the poorer the panel quality will be. panels are usually sorted by the manufacturer and the defective cache goes for peanuts, which cheap brands opt to use. Same with phones. specs on paper mean nothing. I will go on to say that quality will be determined by panel technology. TN panels will be poorest compared to IPS and the expensive LED pixel technologies.
That said, 43 inch 4k TVs go for between 40k and 50k for most respectable brands except for some sony which go for a little more.
I also suggest that you do not buy fancy passing cloud stuff like curved etc. Please do not go all out with your money on televisions because they are risky. once damaged they can hardly be repaired. they are not cars.

Tv mi najua ni ya watoto na mama na news

Teach us master! We are lazy. List hapa at least the good TV models tujue kule tutafanya starting point ya self research banae

In short tununue LG TVs. I have an LG and it’s quite good. An ordinary HD TV but the quality of picture and sound is something that I can’t compare with a Samsung I had before it.

Unfortunately, this means you haven’t had exposure to decent TVs such as the TCL C8. The 55" C8 should set you back by 65K or thereabouts. Even for argument’s sake you cant argue the P8M is better than the C8. Can you?? Like I said if you place this TV in a room such as a home cinema where everyone faces the TV at the centre or a bed sitter where you are alone and watch the TV from the dead center. Then it should be fairly okay but you’re better off getting a Samsung RU7100 which has an above average contrast ratio and the images will look punchier.

But if you place this TV in a room with wide sitting, people sitting at the far right/left seat will not be viewing the same image as the people at the centre. This is not a TCL problem, it’s a VA panel problem which plagues all manufacturers including Samsung. The peak brightness of your TV is quite low which means the image is clearest at night. During daytime your TV will struggle to overcome light and glare from windows. Hence hautaona vizuri. In very bright rooms especially those with big windows utaskia ni kama unafaa kuwasha torch ndio utafute image kwa TV. Again if you’re living in a bedsitter the amount of ambient light is minimal so you’ll be fine. If you have a home cinema set up where light is minimal you’ll also be fine. But who in his right mind would set up a home cinema and still but a 35K TV??

The LG has poor contrast ratio (actually very bad) but fairly decent brightness and great viewing angles. Which means it’s not good for a home cinema/ bedsitter and you’re better off with the P8M. The LG UM7300 will cost around 40K and is more suitable for a bright room with wide sitting. At least you’ll not feel the urge to draw the currains just to watch a movie at midday?

This is actually the point. If you go sub 50K when buying a TV you’ll be making serious compromises. TVs that cost 70k to 100k are considered a bargain considering what you’re getting. Better viewing angles, better panel, wide colour gamut, color accuracy, faster processor, better Connectivity etc. TVs below 50K especially 43" to 50" make serious compromises. If you are going to buy a 50" to 65" then your budget should be approx 65K to 100k. And get a TV that will make everyone in the room feel exited when turning it on.

There is no shortcut here. The price differences between brands will be approx 10K to 20K. Which is really not much if you’re already paying 70K+.
If you want a cheap TV, you have to accept some compromises. And that’s the point of this thread. If you have a huge room you’re better off with an IPS panel from LG or Hisense. Sony is already out of the picture if you’re into budget TVs. If you’re in a dimly lit room then go for a cheap VA panel from the likes of samsung and TCL.

If you’re going to watch 360p videos or 480p videos then a 32 inch is a better deal. It will serve you better as you build the resources to buy a decent panel. Still get it from established brands not UKA

I was talking about our TV feeds. Most are SD quality. To watch 4K, either you have downloaded or are get the few subscription tv channels which broadcast actual UHD content online or via satellite. That’s why I was saying that the TCL 4K screens are a pretty good option. I gave a user review in your other post.

Mzito, recommend TV poa from 32inch to 43 inches na price variances

You missed the point by a mile. There is no way a 40k TV would be better than a 65k TV. And neither was I comparing them my point is, you sre trying to make this TV look like they are so pathetic while they have their own merits. A person won’t notice all those stuff, even though they’d come in handy

If you hadn’t made this statement I would not have compared the P8M to the C8. I just imagined you haven’t been exposed to a decent panel. I believe you when you say that the P8M has the best picture clarity you have ever come across. And I am explaining why. Could it be that you haven’t seen a fairly good TV?

I have nothing against TCLs the 8 series is an excellent TV and has been praised worldwide. If you do proper research you might realize that the P8M is not a bargain as it appears to be. Especially when compared to more expensive models like the Samsung RU7100 which costs about 43K.
You will notice that the RU7100 has a better contrast, better colour accuracy, and is the same TV model that is sold in western countries such as the US & Europe. The TCL P8M is sold in struggling economies such as Kenya therefore the company has no incentive to be honest. Again Samsung is a more established brand and has been in the TV business for may decades now. So if you are asked to pay 8K more for a better TV with more accurate colours and a better panel then you will suddenly realize that the TCL is not a really great bargain as it appeared to be initially. It might be cheaper but it’s not a great bargain. However, for those who need to pirate stuff all the time and can’t afford Netflix etc then they can just buy the TCL or Xiaomi or anyother cheap android TV brand as it is easier to pirate on open source software as compared to proprietary software. But if you don’t plan to pirate content, then you will appreciate the smooth and intuitive design of TIZEN OS as compared to the laggy android TV software. Which BTW on the P8M will take like 2 minutes to fully boot from shutdown. Kwa hivyo ukiingia kwa nyumba at 7:00PM planning to watch the news. The TCL will get you in after 2 minutes (which feels like eternity) whereas the Samsung will do so in a fraction of a second.

I don’t know much about 32" TVs tbh… but I can recommend a 43" but only 4K TV coz I haven’t been in the market for FHD for a very long time.
Henyway for me to recommend. Answer the following

1. What kind of a room are you planning to mount the TV? is it a small room or a big space?
  2. Is it a fairly bright room or a dark one where not a lot of light gets in?
  3. How many people will be watching the TV, just a few or 3-5 people? I mean at the same time
  4. What is the maximum amount you are willing to spend.

Niaje Nyamgoth?

I have realized most of the content I have watched over the last one year is 1080P, sometimes 720p and a few times 3K/ 4K. I hardly watch local TV coz I know it’s SD quality. It’s difficult to watch 480p TV after getting exposed to 1080p and 720P regularly. I agree with you fully. But I am willing to bet that in the next 2-3 years 1080p content will be available and TVs will be broadcasting in 720P and in the next 5 years in 1080P. On youtube local videos are already being broadcast in 4K albeit by a content developers. In 2025 most new content will be 4K on youtube. So yes a 4K panel is a good buy.

Vipi Baresi. How is the Going?

I haven’t heard. TV manufacturers today are paying some professional calibrators to calibrate their TVs beyond their usual presets. But this is available for high end models. When you buy the TV you can choose a calibrated profile for movies and cinema. However, this doesn’t work very well because TV panels differ even for the same model. Lakini its a welcome move.

32 inches ya bedroom ocha yangu peke yangu iwe kama desktop pia
40 inches ya Sito watu kama tano naeza ona

Wewe sasa unaturn hii argument into a dick measuring contest. Nimesema TCL wewe unaweka iwe against another TCL. Wacha nikojoe nilale

Why is your argument leaning towards LG tvs? Does that mean that other companies like akina Sony, Samsung, TCL, Hisense and Skyworth make inferior tvs?

Najaribu kuambia hii nyangau ananiambia sijakua exposed. Alafu to him TVs that cost less than 50k ain’t shit and shouldn’t be reviewed.