The first political Assasination in Kenya (they say)

I was just watching videos randomly on U tube, wakaniletea hii…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dhw86MIYPE

If you have some 20 something minutes to spare…

5 Likes

Nice documentary.
Thank God we are past the age of Kangaroo courts.

The late sixties to late seventies was Kenya’s wikd wild east moment. Gun running, smuggling coffee, politcal gung ho among the various streams. Kenyans were still crawling out of the iron age ( and for some stone age) and knew nothing about statehood, commonwealth etc. The few elite who knew and were the dramatis personae in the political drama were themselves half-baked and easily fell to manipulation from whichever angle be it tribe, global ideology, business rivalry or camaraderie. Being half baked, they often did things the philistine way. Those were heady days and conversations were held in low tones.

1 Like

Lakini the eighties were just terrible, Nyayo error despotism made the country a very bad place to live in.

5 Likes

During Moi’s time, evil was centralised and it had a method. In Kenyatta’s time evil was everywhere from the streets ruled by Kiriamiti, to statehouse

3 Likes

mimi nakumbuka growing up in the 90s all the people we knew either worked for the government or parastatals, ilikua ngumu sana meeting someone that works in the private sector, it was like it was non-existent… now it is almost the complete opposite.

5 Likes

Halafu Moi knew how to use the provincial system and other internal security organs to strengthen his grip on power. Unapata anajuana hadi na Chief in a very remote place and this helped him in cracking down on dissenters.

1 Like

Nakumbuka in the mid to late 90’s vile watu walikuwa retrenched from parastatals. Things were really bad.

1 Like

Moi didn’t know anything. He wasn’t a very smart man. Low rudimentary IQ. These government people were classic psychophants and would keep tabs on everybody. Especially the dissenters. Those were widely known. So he used the security system to quash. If dissenters were churning noise in a particular area, it was the security agents asses on fire. They were forced to do it.

1 Like

Thats the magic of Kibakinomics.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call Moi stupid, that’s what many thought but he was a very calculating leader. He had developed a system of patronage that allowed him to rule for that long. Remember Jaramogi once said he sees far like a giraffe.

MOI was an astute administrator! not smart economically but had the ability to keep the country glued together even in the face of crippling economic conditions

2 Likes

Or rather artificial employment initially. The government literally tried to employ everyone. Did so by holding wages ridiculously low. A high ranking govt official made 9k. With a house in Kileleshwa. Or Karen.

2 Likes

Yeah, Moi was highly insecure and this insecurity is what made him what he was. The coup messed him up. (sijataja mtu)

3 Likes

My dad was a provincial something something and when I looked at his payslip when pushing for his pension, nilishangaaa

3 Likes

Moi’s insecurity congregated on two areas; politics and economics. He never wanter anybody to rise in thise areas without his patronage and control. He made you politically and economically. To achieve this he made the givernment the economic center of the country. The govt loaned from local banks, the govt owned the banks, the power company etc. There was one political party and you grew in it or you never grew politically

3 Likes

I think what you mention above is a result of two things. 1 - pyschophancy. People who made a system to give them relevance. They were not popular otherwise. Kamotho, Nassir , other other strategic tribal appointments. Mudavadi,Nyachae, Aringo. Etc. 2. Carryover from colonial rule held on to a sub non capitalist state. There was no deregulation . No real free market competition. This was enforced by the same people above.
The reality is Moi feared only one thing. Mt Kenya mafia. And it is them who started and forced to him to finally pass the torch.

Back then life was simple. A senior doctor somewhere tells me when he quit gov’t around 1987, their pay was around 5k p.m. The private employer who poached him tripled this to 15k p.m.

4 Likes

The master of platitudes as it were. They called him the ultimate court poet for a reason.

2 Likes

And govt housing was available ( a former provincial administrator tells me it was fully furnished including an electric cooker and maintenance done by min of works). Govt cars were available even to the low cadres. Senior guys used govt. cars like their own. Joke in a pub juzi was that Kibaki has only bought one car in his life zingine zote zilikua za gava

2 Likes