STEVE MUMBO RIP LAST DAY

On the material day, the Nairobian reports, the deceased left his Pangani Palace apartment at around 5.40 am, getting to the office at 6.15 am only to find four other colleagues already hard arrived at work.

The previous night, the trained civil engineer had left his 12th floor office at 1.30 am. He was apparently handling a cement manufacturer who had been ”suspended from the Nairobi Securities Exchange” and placed in his care.

In the morning at around 7.40 am he is said to have asked for a meeting room as his clients were showing up at 9.00 am. His divisions head’s personal assistant assigned him the Kilimanjaro 2 meeting room five floors from his office.

He left behind his jacket and took with him his laptop never to return.

It is not known whether someone joined him in the room before he jumped to his death.

Mumbo had before the fateful day worked for PWC for at least 13 years during which he experienced work related burnouts thrice in a span of two years, the Nairobian indicates.

https://i0.wp.com/www.kahawatungu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/pwc.jpeg?resize=640%2C480&ssl=1STEPHEN MUMBO. | COURTESY
On October 25, 2016 he suffered a breakdown prompting him to stay away for a month. In mid 2017, the former St Paul’s Amukura High School student fell asleep right in the middle of a presentation with a client.

“He was totally burned out, but he was instructed to sleep for 45 minutes in another boardroom and then resume his presentation,” a colleague said.

Read: Mungatana Snitched On West African Con Artists After Scamming Him Sh76 Million

Another colleague described the deceased as not being assertive. “He could not speak for himself. If there was a mistake, he would take the blame and not defend himself.”

Kahawa Tungu also understands that Mumbo, last born of two girls and three boys, lost his father, Arthur Waore in 1992 but it is the death of his mother, five years ago that really took a toll on him.

He took a one year unpaid sabbatical to mourn his mother whose picture he placed on his bedside.

Accidents or deaths at PWC are covered with the loved ones of the ‘ordinary employee’ receiving between Sh20 million and Sh25 million. Families of the high ranking staffers on the hand are entitled to at least Sh50 million.

Suicide, is however not covered.

Sad story there Georgina, it seems that he had “surrendered” his life to PWC.

I wish he has spared some little time to pass by the many massage places/brothels
highlighted in this kijiji. Huko akipitia after kazi, burnout inaisha kapsaa.

Msikue mnakashifu hiyo batallion hupitia those places, its just one way of combating burnout.

There’s a story on the web of a person who went to commit suicide in mexico only to indulge in drugs… Jamaa hakujiua

The guy had worked for 13 years at PWC and he was still an assistant manager? It usually takes 6-7 years for one to become a manager!!

Maybe he was passed over by guys who did accounts instead of civil engineering like him. All in all this is just insane. How can you leave work at 1.30am and be up by 4.30 or 5am? If you get home in 30 minutes,eat, chill with the fam, you sleep at 2.30 or 3.00 am, after one and half hours you are back to work??? And maybe this was daily Oh God. Wenye wanaombea job jueni the employed also cry or in this case die. Sleep deprivation isnt good. Am suspecting whatever he was to present to clients at 9am prolly disappeared and it was a big client maybe its the work he’d been doing the previous night till 1.30am. Utaenda massage parlour saa ngapi? You will just fall asleep there!

I work in a parastatal and there are guys who have been at officer level still after the 6-7 years period.

atleast theyre not sleep depraved/unhappy enough enough to fall down a 17 floor window. Kwani how much are these guys paid to merit this kind of hours. A research awhile back said Gover jobs are the best at work life balance.

Yes best at work life balance and worst at career progression. Gift and a curse I guess…

In our society and from our backgrounds, we still do not see mental illness as a disease. In all the comments here, no one is yet to admit this guy had a history of mental illness. Even he himself refused to acknowledge it. This is probably because of the stigma we tag to the disease. We only notice the market mad people, not realizing there are mad people hiding behind suits. I will say again here as I said it in the last post:

The guy would probably be still here with us if he had sought relevant help. But first, he had to admit he had issues.

I’m talking about audit firms not parastatals.

Career progression is highly overrated. ‘I wish I spent more hours at the office and made partner’ , said no (wo)man on their death bed.

WHAT MENTAL ILLNESS!!! The guy fell asleep in an important client meeting - is that a new mental disease I havent heard of? Falling asleep because you dont get time to sleep because you leave work at 1.30am then return by 6am? and lets not forget Alai saying , several times this guy spent 72hrs straight at work to keep deadlines. There was nothing wrong with this guy. NOTHING!!! He was overworked and sleep depraved. When you’re sleep depraved you’re insane. When I was finishing my thesis I spent 48 hours straight trying to beat the deadline. Guess what happened I had an accident with 2 cars at a roundabout. I felt spaced out. And very irritable . So you can imagine if it was 72hrs? I may have killed someone.

You seem to know a lot. Please educate us.

Sanity is the collective insanity - You only need to look at history - the holocast, the Rwandese genocide, roman emperors with filled stadiums where they fed Christians to lions for entertainment.

There are a lot of subtle things we cannot ignore: Whys was he scared of sleep?

Mumbo, last born of two girls and three boys, lost his father, Arthur Waore in 1992 but it is the death of his mother, five years ago that really took a toll on him. He took a one year unpaid sabbatical to mourn his mother whose picture he placed on his bedside.
Mumbo had before the fateful day worked for PWC for at least 13 years during which he experienced work related burnouts thrice in a span of two years, the Nairobian indicates.

On October 25, 2016 he suffered a breakdown prompting him to stay away for a month. In mid 2017, the former St Paul’s Amukura High School student fell asleep right in the middle of a presentation with a client.

“He was totally burned out, but he was instructed to sleep for 45 minutes in another boardroom and then resume his presentation,” a colleague said.

Pole, but don’t do sleep driving again. Worse than driver mlevi

You know if you work at a place like this you cant even grieve . How will you grieve when you have like 2hrs of sleep. People get breakdowns all the time only that its usually masked by drugs and alcohol. Having a nervous breakdown doesnt mean you’re mentally ill, it just means you’re fedup or you’re overwhelmed or you feel like you dont have time for things that mata like your family bcz you’re always at work.

That’s not how life works in a real work environment.

Here’s some good reading, my fren. I have knowledge (not an expert by any chance) in this field of study. Theory sometimes matches reality:

[I]Stigma is when someone views you in a negative way because you have a distinguishing characteristic or personal trait that’s thought to be, or actually is, a disadvantage (a negative stereotype). Unfortunately, negative attitudes and beliefs toward people who have a mental health condition are common.

Stigma can lead to discrimination. Discrimination may be obvious and direct, such as someone making a negative remark about your mental illness or your treatment. Or it may be unintentional or subtle, such as someone avoiding you because the person assumes you could be unstable, violent or dangerous due to your mental illness. You may even judge yourself.[/I]

Mental health: Overcoming the stigma of mental illness - Mayo Clinic

I’ve been in an audit firm so I know what I am saying