Some of the best closing arguments ever used - F.N. Plevako (1842-1909)

[ATTACH=full]175134[/ATTACH]
Fedor Nikiforovich Plevako was one of the most famous defense lawyers in Russia in the 19th century. Many of his speeches were recorded and became legendary.

At one time, he was defending an old Orthodox church priest accused of adultery and theft. The jury was very unfavourable. The public prosecutor described the depravity of the vicious priest in detail after which Plevako issued his closing argument :

[COLOR=rgb(71, 85, 119)][FONT=verdana][SIZE=3]Gentlemen of the jury, the affair is clear. The prosecutor is absolutely right in everything. The accused really perpetrated those crimes and confessed them, Nothing to discuss. But there is something I need to draw your attention to. You, behold a man who listened to your confessions for thirty years. For thirty years, he absolved us from sins. Now he is waiting for your decision. Would you absolve his sin ?[/SIZE][/FONT]

*The priest was acquitted.

In another case, Plevako defended an old woman from a local town who stole a tin Kettle worth a few roubles. The prosecutor, knowing that she was going to be defended by Plevako, decided to knock the bottom of his argument by stating that Private property is sacred and if the woman was acquitted they would have to acquit criminals who are much more dangerous, and this may lead to the destruction of Russia. The jury nodded in agreement.
Plevako started to speak:

[COLOR=rgb(71, 85, 119)][SIZE=3][FONT=verdana]Russia has suffered a lot in over 1,000 years of its history. It was invaded by numerous foes. Moscow was taken by Napoleon’s army. Russia overcame all these challenges and not only survived but became stronger. Unfortunately, an old lady stole a tin kettle worth 30 kopecks. This is a heavy blow. Now Russia will perish, that’s for sure.[/FONT][/SIZE]

*The old woman was acquitted.

More of this here
Rink

Is there a pdf compilation of his closing arguments…

:D:D:D:D
Kyno plus kabisa!!!

Hii imefanya nicheke…

Moe Levine who was arguably the best trial lawyer of his time was representing a client who had lost both arms in an industrial accident, Levine surprised the court and jury, who were accustomed to long closing arguments, by painting a brief and emotionally devastating picture:

As you know, about an hour ago we broke for lunch. I saw the bailiff come and take you all as a group to have lunch in the jury room. Then I saw the defense attorney, Mr. Horowitz. He and his client decided to go to lunch together. The judge and court clerk went to lunch. So, I turned to my client, Harold, and said “Why don’t you and I go to lunch together?” We went across the street to that little restaurant and had lunch. (Significant pause.) Ladies and gentlemen, I just had lunch with my client. He has no arms. He has to eat like a dog. Thank you very much.

He got one of the largest verdicts in the history of New York.

I will share once I land my thumbs on it. am scouring the internets for a colleciton.