Solar power installation

Thanks for the info I have been dealing with assumptions I never took time to look at the specs

:D:D:D Sande!

200 lumens ni kidogo Sana . The below ziko pale Amazon US and they are superb.

Input voltage: 12~24 volt low voltage

Bulb Output: 7W

LED chips: 5730

Number of chips: 14 / 0.5w per set

Color temperatur: 3000 k / warm white

Lumen: 700 lm

Material: alumimum and plastic

Base: E26 Standard base / medium base

Diameter: 6.5x6.5x14 cm

Weight: 65g

Package: 2 bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B8QC12N?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1

Finally after much research and getting expert advice from around the globe, I have set up my solar power system and comprises of:-
A victron 75/15 mppt charge controller, a victron 375va pure sine wave inverter (both from chloride exide), a 200AH sealed lead acid battery, two 125 Watts each mono crystalline solar panels (both from Davis and shirtliff) and electrical wiring done to kplc standards. The setup configuration and performance is monitored from my phone using the Victronconnect App. I have connected a 240v LED TV, Samsung home theatre and laptop charger to sockets fed by the inverter, with 7LED 12V lights connected to the charge controller output. The set up is used throughout the day and at night and no issues of low battery experienced so far (2 weeks now).

How much for the whole setup?

Ksh 108k includes wiring and other sundries

You make? Photo of the inverter?

Could you came with the cost breakdown please, then hio inverter iko chonjo aje…so tempting

Rounded off Ksh:

Inverter 16000

Controller 9000

Bluetooth smart dongle 5800 (optional)

Solar panels 18000

Battery 42000

Wiring 15000

Sundries 5000

Which battery is that.

Champion Sealed lead acid from Davis and shirtliff

I can give you a better over. Check on us ruggedpowerltd.com

Oh yes! Time for feedback. Let me share my experience.
My setup.

1. Two number 125W panels from Davis and Shirtliff setup in parallel(more current). [ATTACH=full]238727[/ATTACH]
  2. 200Ah champion battery from Davis & Shirtliff.[ATTACH=full]238728[/ATTACH]
  3. 60A MPPT Version 118 charge controller from Aliexpress. [ATTACH=full]238729[/ATTACH] 567.75NOK |Makeskyblue Mppt Solar Charge Controller 30a 40a 60a For 12v 24v 36v 48v 72v 96v Acid Lithium Battery Not Pwm Charging Regulator - Solar Controllers - AliExpress
  4. 1,500W , 12VDC input, 220-230v AC Pure Sine wave inverter from Alixpress. [ATTACH=full]238731[/ATTACH] https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1500W-pure-sine-wave-solar-power-inverter-DC-12V-24V-48V-to-AC-110V-220V/2054302619.html
  5. DC circuit breakers. 80A from Aliexpress, 60A from Jumia. 91.0NOK 35% OFF|12v 24v Dc Home Solar System Waterproof Circuit Breaker Reset Fuse Inverter 60a 80a 100a 150a 200a 250a 300a - Circuit Breakers - AliExpress and Laundry Fixture - Buy Laundry and utility Fixtures Online | Jumia Kenya
  6. Roll of cable, 2.5mm2 twin with earth. and 10m each of 10mm2 cable (red, black and green)
  7. Cordless impact drill from Europa. Very good for drilling and also for screwing.[ATTACH=full]238732[/ATTACH] https://www.europatools.co.ke/product/bosch-cordless-combi-gsb-180-li-33-accessories/
  8. Crimping tool. Rare one to find in Nairobi CBD except industrial area. I got it at Trical and Hard, thanks to @Makonika . You can get the normal battery ones and use pliers to fasten the cable hence eliminating need for a crimping tool.
  9. Cable lugs. 8mm2 cable and 10mm2 nut opening. This was another tough one to source. Auto shops helped in getting the right size with the correct current rating.
  10. Roof mounting brackets fabricated by fundi.
  11. Plastic Cable plugs and screws for mounting inverter and controller ; bolts for panels.
  12. Two number AC breakers !! Please note, this is purely for isolating the PV modules and not for current protection.

Here is my experience.

The system is purely for lighting. The lights are 68W in total and are switched on by a photocell in the evening and off in the morning. They are on for approximately 13 hours per night.
The installed capacity is 250W, the highest output i have observed is 245W at around 1pm on a partially cloudy day, on average, i get about 0.9 Kwh per day.[ATTACH=full]238737[/ATTACH] This is almost same to my night consumption of 0.884Kwh. On cloudy days, i get about 0.7units. The beauty is that i oversized my battery so my power needs are covered for the cloudy days. In future, might add one panel so that the extra power produced can be utilised during the day.
My charge controller is not fancy, i might upgrade to one that logs and gives data about system. I have to read the screen physically and the readings are instantaneous.
My panels are connected in parallel because i get shading after 3pm on one of the panels. The current i expect from the panels is a maximum of about 16A so my wiring is ok. I used 2.5mm2 from panel to controller. Two 10mm2 cables from controller to battery. The inverter came with cables so i was covered on that end. I’ve set the 80A fuses on the negative and positive lines from the battery. This is to isolate battery from other components just in case of a problem.
I had to ground my panels to minimise risk of lightning strikes.
Finally, lots of drilling and other works were involved during the mounting. It is important to have simple tools like pliers, hammer screwdrivers and lots of tape.
Currently, away from the village so don’t have any new photos. I’m told the system is working well for about 3 weeks since installation.

Lessons learnt: The panel ratings are at STC of about 25 degrees Celsius. In real life, the panels get hot to more than 30 degrees, this reduces the power output.
I regretted importing stuff through UPS and Fedex. Clearing at JKIA took about 16 and 21 days yet shipping was 2 days. The duty was also non negotiable unlike Posta where you are asked how much the goods cost. Next time i import something, i’ll use Posta as clearance is instant at City Square.
Disclaimer: I’m self taught, no technical knowledge on solar so my way might not be the efficient way. Sande sana Ktalk family for the help especially @Makonika for directing me to a good tools shop.

On battery, they might have the same rating but the cycle numbers will be different. The heavy the battery, the more the cycle numbers. I found some 200Ah costing around 25k. This got me into finding out why.

Great job.
Neat breakdown.

How is the solar experience 2 years later?

Also go for original components particularly the battery and inverter. You can check chloride Exide, pale Kambala road. They are relatively expensive but cheap and fake parts will not only costly but also disruptive

Your setup sounds pretty versatile, with lights, a TV, a home theater, and a laptop in the mix. To get started, you’ll want to ensure you have panels with enough wattage to handle your devices’ power requirements. Then, consider a battery bank to store excess energy for use when the sun isn’t shining and an inverter to convert DC to AC power for your appliances. Costs can vary based on factors like the brand, size, and specifications of the system you choose. Checking out pknergypower.com could give you some insights into the different options available in the market.

I installed a working setup kitambo.

I am planning on installing a 5kw system.
5x550w panels
5kw hybrid inverter
5kWh lithium battery.

I think you should buy the system bit by bit, first start with solar panels let’s say 5(500) shld handle most load, then an inverter. Now according to me you shld not go less than 5kw inverter juu it will be more efficient bcoz it’s not struggling to power the devices also it will leave you with room if you decide to add more devices, for battery 2(200ah) will do just fine.