Sauti Sol's Potential For Projecting Kenya's Soft Power Is Being Thoroughly Wasted

Some of the biggest names that shook Africa and still reverbrate with the african peoples be they here or abroad came out of bands.
Franco. Tabu Ley. Simaro Lutumba. Madilu. Les Wanyika.
Bands used to run it in the Golden Years.
Maybe it’s time we went back there, led by Sauti Sol.

Wondering the the same, @Arnono Do you know Diamond was paid over a million dollars by Universal for distribution rights? He didn’t need government support for that, infact the TZ government banned him from performing for a while.
So stop blaming the government, ooh sijui shitty voting etc. Ati Sauti Sol even had to sign with Universal. It’s because of Universal and their distribution network that they are heard even in Japan and the Bahamas. Not the government’s Export Promotional Council.
Just make and invest in good quality music and the BIG boys will come knocking.

Universal didn’t just come up out of the blues. It was a company that was supported by their government from infancy and helped in creating these distribution networks.
Why can’t Africa have its own mega companies for that? Is it always a must the ‘big’ boys come around everytime, be it mining, be it industrial expertise, now even in production, marketing and distribution of our artistes?
Come on brother, there was a reason why rhumba is still a force to be reckoned with till date. What Mobutu did in DRC, as much as he was a dictator, was the Authenticity Policy. I respect him for that.

(Universal Music Group) domiciled in the US but French owned.You know you’re talking about a private company that was started in 1898 right? When we were still hunting in the bushes.
Anyway tell me more about Mobutu’s authenticity policy.

When I said support the arts, I meant musicians, painters, filmmakers, and any other people who make art. Although talented, Sauti Sol are also lucky to have made it. Bien is the nephew of former deputy CJ Nancy Baraza, so you never know, maybe family connections also initially opened some doors. Coincidentally, they were (still are?) nurtured and managed by a mzungu. It takes foreigners to come to Kenya, discover and grow our talent. My concern is, what if there are other highly talented Kenyans who can’t afford music instruments/lessons, studio sessions and all the elements that go into making a successful artist? Do they just remain in the grassroots when their music could have influenced millions if they had support?

[ATTACH=full]302985[/ATTACH]

Just who is this Woman in the Suzzaba video ?

She freaks me out with those Dead Fish eyes.

Private companies grow and thrive out of enabling environments by governments. With the right policies, private companies can receive tax reliefs/given incentives to promote the said growth.
This is defeatist reasoning by saying since they were established in 1898 our own companies won’t stand a chance. These are profits that are being ploughed back to white man’s land.

True.
There are many other artists that are talented and to say that only Sol and Diamond are worthy big contracts from ‘big’ firms is actually an insult to these people since they produce quality content too.
The BIG firms being talked about are after profits that a majority goes to their own countries.

Mobutu’s authenticity was a call to go back to african culture and with a rhumba that was gaining national following, it only grew due to wider audiences, financial/money to bands of the time and praise of their works too.
Names like Makiadi and Ley thrived at these times.
The policy had its own issues, but its legacy is still heard to date.

I think Nancy Baraza is Bien’s mom, not aunt. And the members were in the same high school if I’m not wrong.

I think walikuwa Strathmore uni, I’m not sure about high school.

Three of them walikuwa Upper Hill Secondary.
Sauti Sol are actually very famous outside of Kenya. Most East africans in urban cities know their music.

The song I like most from the group is the one that goes like:“I wanna live and die in Africa. Lele lile lelele…”

True brother.
We need infrastructure.
We need laws.
We need societal undying support.
We need copyright protection.
Congo is a war-torn region but musicians there are millionaires.
Kenya is a stable country but our musicians are paupers.