Rwanda NEVER said they were going Tanzania way!

[SIZE=5]Rwanda won’t opt out of Northern Corridor Standard Gauge Railway project - Govt[/SIZE]
By: TIMES REPORTER
[ul]
[li]PUBLISHED: May 19, 2016 [/li][/ul]
[B]http://www.newtimes.co.rw/files/photos/1463611549Amb-Claver-Gatete.jpg
Claver Gatete, the Minister for Finance and Economic Planning. (File)

The Rwandan government has rejected claims that it was abandoning the Kenyan Standard Gauge Railway route in favour of the Dar-es-Salaam-Isaka-Kigali/Keza-Musongati Standard Gauge Railway.

Media reports had earlier quoted Claver Gatete, the Minister for Finance and Economic Planning, as having said that Rwanda was opting out of the Kenyan route because the Tanzanian route was cheaper and shorter.

“Rwanda is not pulling out of the Kenyan railway route. What I pointed out was that the Tanzanian route is shorter and slightly cheaper compared to the Kenyan Standard Gauge Railway. To suggest that Rwanda was pulling out of one railway route in favour of the other is simply misleading,” Gatete said in a statement sent toThe New Times yesterday.

Studies conducted by the East African Community (EAC) indicate that the Tanzanian railway route would cost Rwanda about US$800 to $900 million dollars, while the Kenyan one would cost US$1 billion.

“We do not favour one route over the other because we see both the Northern and Central corridors as critical in cutting transport costs and facilitating trade to and from the ports of Mombasa and Dar-es-Salaam,” added the minister.

“We intend to have access to both routes by railway. Nothing has changed and that decision still holds.”

In June 2013, the first infrastructure summit of the Heads of State of Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda, held in Kampala, agreed to construct a Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) system linking Rwanda and Uganda to the port of Mombasa to enable faster socio-economic transformation of the East and Central Africa economies.

The project was estimated to cost $13 billion.

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/section/article/2016-05-19/200028/
[/B]

And just in case Uganda, Rwanda, South Sudan and DRC decided to go away, our economy is vibrant enough to sustain itself!

[SIZE=4]Kenya roots for SGR despite Rwanda’s exit[/SIZE]
By Dominic Omondi | Tuesday, May 31st 2016 at 23:54

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/images/tuesday/fkhsbhozmpydqfolkj574df9a67caaa.jpg
Ms Bett Maina, PS State Department of East African affairs.
Rwanda’s decision to re-route its standard gauge railway (SGR) from Kenya to Tanzania will not have adverse effect on Kenya, a state official has said.

The Principal Secretary State Department of East African Affairs Betty Maina told The Standard that 70 per cent of the goods imported through the port of Mombasa, where Kenya’s Sh327 billion SGR is supposed to terminate, end up in Nairobi.
Only 30 per cent of exports from Mombasa go beyond Nairobi to other towns in the country and further into the region, including Rwanda.
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/mobile/article/2000203678/kenya-roots-for-sgr-despite-rwanda-s-exit

BS several times over. The way people talk of the Kenyan economy ungethani tuko class ya South Korea ama ata South Africa. We can keep calling it “the most dynamic economy in EA”, “EAfrica’s Superpower” and all other meaningless superlatives but is still a country of $1300 GDP per capita. Of course for you mbirionares hiyo si shida yenu.

2 Likes

Sawa boss!

1 Like

even s koreans started by living in caves like the rest of us…

4 Likes

@Mjuaji, Kenya is really a very dynamic economy. The problem nobody ever, ever wants to face is the uncontrolled growth in population, which is totally unsustainable.

During the recent vaccination for Rubella, I was shocked to learn that the MoH had vaccinated 20 million children below 19 years. THAT MEANS THAT HALF OF THE POPULATION IS STILL IN SCHOOL AND WILL IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS ENTER THE WORKFORCE.

NO COUNTRY CAN AFFORD TO ABSORB THAT NUMBER OF PEOPLE INTO THE LABOUR FORCE WITHIN SUCH A SHORT TIME.

We need to cut our population growth rate to about 2 children per couple, and then grow the economy at 8 per cent, and we will catch up with S.Korea.

Just get the population growth numbers for S. Korea and see. ALL THOSE COUNTRIES WE PRAISE ACTUALLY TOOK CONTROL OF THEIR POPULATION GROWTH FIRST.

6 Likes

Korean founding father implemented policies that are making them reap the fruits they are enjoying today.

and our floundering fathers are busy calling for bombs and more teargas…

3 Likes

@fiud, hapo umedinya point and I must say I appreciate the less abrasive approach you’ve taken lately though I’ve called you puthi for doing so at some point. Nisamehe. We really do need to do something about the population growth, or rather explosion.

4 Likes

ati 2 kids per couple? wewe uko na wazimu. mimi lazima nitue my late sister na my favoeite uncle. hata wewe ukitaka kaguka sema na uniambie jina. ni Ndiang’ui?

5 Likes

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D we know you’ll be enjoying the endeavour to please ev’one that seeks the favour…

2 Likes

The way Kenya is, I don’t see how we can stop the explosion. Politicians are telling their tribes to multiply for tyrannny…

But I think the worst strategic mistake we made as a country was to create the notion of free 'services - health, education, etc etc. People are not feeling the burden of parenthood. Throw in religious teachings like those of the Catholic Church and you have the perfect storm.

Yet, we are reaching the breaking point in terms of resources to support the large population. Something will have to give sooner or later.

4 Likes

Ngabu, natural selection has always worked, and there is no indication that it will not work again…

@gashwn umesahau ati there are other founding fathers who hoarded big chunk of Land upto date. Some of the land is lying idle in Prime areas.Result of it. land being expensive than the way it’s supposed to be. Until we radicalise our minds to other sectors other than land then we shall continue to fuck ourselves

That’s why every corner of Kenya is turning into a slum and concrete jungle. Even in my mashinani which used to be very quite and tranquil has become a noisy place.

What bothers is not the constant selling. It’s the lack of planning. Unanua kaploti and God knows the kind of structures that will go up next to u.

I agree with overpopulation sentiments and lack of proper planning. Reducing population growth rate would reduce the scrambling for the ever inadequate resources. The government would be able to cater for essential services, jobs would be more accessible (however an enabling environment for entrepreneurship has to be created). Tunajiamini sana yet vices like corruption are slowing us down, ignorance and shitty politics will be the death of great opportunities for Kenya. Yes, something has to give.

The mistake we keep making is comparing Kenya’s potential growth to what S.Korea has achieved. Kenya’s future economic growth and population trends will mirror Nigeria and India.

hapa unachezea mbuzi guitar…wakenya social outlet ni kukunywa pombe na kutombana dry fry bila lube bila huruma na kumwaga ndani

You maybe right or maybe not. In 1803, Malthus predicted that rapid population growth would outstrip food supply, leading to counter-balancing population checks namely famine, disease and war to bring the number of people back in line with the capacity to feed them.What actually happened was very different, namely the Industrial Revolution. Economies expanded faster than their populations which led to a sustained improvement in living standards. The idea of finite resources and energy is quite false. Human beings have always innovated, so we choose to believe in humanity.

1 Like