@purple - this I can agree with

on condition that it is limited in scope and has no threat of beholding poor nations to the US.

[SIZE=7][B]I’m a Child of Immigrants. And I Have a Plan to Fix Immigration.[/B][/SIZE]

The basic premise of this article is ridiculous. First, America is under no obligation to fix the drug and violence problem in Honduras, Guatemala or El Salvador. Searching for better economic prospects is the number 1 reason they wish to live in America. The whole “living in fear of their lives” is a tired falsehood that Americans have wizened up to. Many Kenyans would also use the Mungiki menace as a reason for seeking asylum in the UK and USA, which we know was a far cry from the reality on the ground.

I came here as an immigrant almost two decades ago. I stood in line and paid thousands of dollars for a chance at the American dream. These guys should follow in our steps as LEGAL immigrants, or go home.

The article gets more and more incredulous…do these people have serious entitlement issues or what?? :smiley: As far as Americans are concerned, there are other countries like China, Germany, Japan which can do the heavy lifting of being the world’s arbiter. And they wonder why Trump’s popularity keeps surging with his “America First!” motto.

(Read the parts highlighted in bold. It was painful to read so many lies all at once!)

He writes, "We have been revoltingly inhumane. And yet, they keep coming. That’s because when someone is trying to kill you in the next 24 hours, you can’t afford to worry about what you will face weeks or months from now when you reach the United States border.

So here’s my proposal. First, we must address the violence and despair that are pushing migrants out of these three countries. (Who is “we?” Americans? and why us? Why not China?)
The good news is we already know how to reduce violence and corruption, and strengthen good government. In Honduras, the United States has been running pilot violence prevention programs since 2014. In neighborhoods like Rivera Hernández in San Pedro Sula we have funded outreach centers where children can find mentors and help getting jobs, cutting off the gangs’ lifeblood: new recruits. (That is sad because Chicago could have used that cash instead we give it away for free…!) We put children most at risk of joining gangs in family counseling. And most important, we went after killers.

In 96 percent of homicides in Honduras in recent years, no one was convicted. Witnesses know: you testify, and the gang kills you immediately. The United States helped fund a nonprofit, the Association for a More Just Society, to investigate all murders in the most violent neighborhoods. (Again, not our problem) It persuades witnesses to testify, anonymously, covered in a black burqa. In Rivera Hernández, murders plummeted by 62 percent in two years. And the number of Honduran children showing up at the United States border was cut almost in half.

But there’s so much more work to be done. (Work to be done by who?? Wacko journalist!) After all, San Pedro Sula is the exact place where today’s caravan of desperate migrants originated.

I get blowback from liberals when I advocate this kind of meddling in Central America. I understand; I covered the wars in Central America. Yes, the United States has done a lot of bad things there. We supported right-wing regimes; deported some 300,000 criminals who added rocket fuel to fledgling gang violence in these countries (does he suggest those criminals should have stayed in America instead of their native country?) and squeezed cocaine traffickers’ routes so that they rerouted drug flights, and the attendant violence, through Central America instead of the Caribbean. We are the source of much of the mayhem there (totally ridiculous conclusion, sigh!).
But now some of what we are doing is actually working. Shouldn’t we do much more of it? (crazy suggestion, we should get out of these hell-holes!)

It not only works, it is cost effective: When I investigated these pilot programs in 2016, they cost about $100 million a year, pocket change compared to the billions we spend dealing with migrants once they reach our border. ($100 is not pocket change when there are thousands of homeless veterans on the streets!)

While we work to address root causes, we must remain compassionate toward those who make it to our borders and ask for safety. Our laws protect their right to do so.

This fiscal year, 50,036 unaccompanied migrant children were apprehended coming to the United States. They wouldn’t even fill up half a Penn State football stadium. That’s refugee dust, as one friend quipped — especially given the fact that the world is facing the worst refugee crisis since World War II.

We must release asylum seekers while their immigration court cases proceed — not lock almost all of them up, as this president is doing, in inhumane for-profit prisons. (:rolleyes::rolleyes:) What kind of country takes someone who asks for safety and throws him into a prison like Adelanto Detention Facility, in California, where a recent surprise federal inspection of 20 cells found[U] 15 contained nooses made of bedsheets? [/U]No one had bothered to take them down.

We should instead release asylum applicants, even if it involves outfitting them with ankle monitors.

Bottom line, if South Americans wish to remain as gangbangers and drug dealers, that’s their choice. The USA has suffered too many misadventures and faced international criticism in their attempts at policing the world. It is bleeding our coffers dry while domestic projects take the back burner. Like many, I share in the belief that America’s immigrations laws are perfect; they just need reinforcement and that means tougher border controls and equipping ICE to carry out their mandate (deport upon arrival).

Asylum seeker should apply at the first country of entry ie Mexico. It’s amazing these migrant caravans will ignore Costa Rica, Ecuador and Bolivia which are ethnically homogenous countries in favor of heading north through treacherous terrain. Their motivation is clear; US government freebies and taking away jobs that belong to Americans.

Ma ya ngai nikuhura maai wa ndiri…

:D:D:D
Correction…it’s “kuhura maai na ndiri.” Not “wa ndiri…”