Privileged Public Schools

yeah…unique hivi

A well trained kid will find opportunities due to exposure and connections, they do not need to do masters to get a job. One degree is enough, and get into employement or bizness. Some even decide to further their education by doing another degree or diploma to gain skill, not papers

[ATTACH=full]227017[/ATTACH]

:DMTU wa Mr. Muia

Kweli, hadi haijabadilishwa to yellow yellow.

Please don’t misinform the young ones, these schools were a form of education apartheid during the colonial era they were classified as “high cost” schools there facilities were funded by the government and maintained by higher school fees africans were not allowed to attend these schools. After independence the government continued with this system the difference was wealth not race, africans who could afford the fees were allowed in.
The truth is that Kenya cannot afford uneducated people period!

Cost sharing is an oxymoron introduced by the IMF and WB, we already pay taxes to the government so who are we sharing costs with?
The same Kibaki introduced free primary education so what were you saying about economics??

As an African you can go to any national school as long as you perform well. In most national schools they have scholarship programs funded by various international organizations as well as Alma mater if your performance is stellar.

Of course national schools receive greater allocation of funds but you have to understand that they house larger numbers. My former school has 464 new members. The old boys are contributing to fund new infrastructure e.g. toilets, bathrooms which is not done by the government. We even helped Changes build their new pool at Kshs 15m through our annual golf tournament btn Patch and Changez and they also funded our projects for the return leg.

If you look at Changez which is the school in question here. The computer lab was fully funded by a former employee who works at Safaricom and fiber internet was installed out of pocket of a few benefactors.

Provincial school students DO NOTHING for their schools upon graduation. Each year I spend about Kshs 35-50k on old boy meetups monthly lunches, fundraisers and golf tournaments plus annual subscription fees to the alumni organization. Obviously this provides me with networking opportunities and I have made all of this back. My alma Mater organization on turn invests MILLIONS each year in our school projects as well as sponsorships. So, what have you done for your school?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1-hmWPMsNM

Thanks to the Laibon Old boys folks

[ATTACH=full]232368[/ATTACH]

Nyinyi wengine nyamazeni…watu wa Nairobi wanaongea

[

Impressive

You really dont know what you’re talking about and even worse, you don’t seem to know the history of “your” alma mater or kenya’s history at that and NO “as an African you could not go to any national school” period!
You also make assumptions on whether or not I attended a national school and also whether my alma mater needs alms (pun intended):D:D
Now I’d like to challenge you to name, a single provincial or any other school in Kenya that from inception, came equipped with;
a nine-hole golf course, rifle range, horse stables, cricket oval and pavilion, two football pitches, two hockey pitches, three rugby pitches, an Olympic size swimming pool, two tennis courts and a fully equipped squash court.

Lenana School’s deep fall from the pinnacle of white settler education - Business Daily
Duke of York School was the brainchild of Governor Mitchell and he personally supervised the acquisition of 250 acres of land on the edge of Ngong Forest Karen in response to the settlers calls for increased post-primary institutions for their children in Kenya. [SIZE=6]Mitchell was intent on delivering the pinnacle of educational experience for European children.[/SIZE]
According to Peerage of the United Kingdom the title Duke of York is reserved for the second sons of the British monarch. The title of Prince of Wales (reserved for the heir apparent) having already been taken by the eponymous school in Kabete, Mitchell settled for the next in-line.
The design of the school included a nine-hole golf course, rifle range, horse stables, cricket oval and pavilion, two football pitches, two hockey pitches, three rugby pitches, an Olympic size swimming pool, two tennis courts and a fully equipped squash court.

The school smacked of royalty beating the Prince of Wales School in the extent of its facilities. This is where the future leaders of Kenya were to be trained and they had to reflect the very best of British pedigree.

Prince of Wales(Nairobi School) and Duke of York(Lenana School) were established as the PRIVATE HIGH END SCHOOLS i.e. brookhouses of the white settlers children in the colonial era. After independence is when people of color where allowed to the school and the schools transitioned to become public national schools with a rebrand of the names to reflect the same but even then full integration only occured dozens of years later. Black principals came and pillaged the schools leaving them a shell of what they were. Duke of York even had a sailing club

That said schools like Alliance, Mang’u, Maseno etc were black heritage national schools who do not have the said equipment above. Even then you simply cannot compare what their alumni have done for their schools(both in lobbying, contributing for infrastructure and funding as well as scholarships contribution) compared with what the traditional provincial school alumni do for theirs…PERIOD!

Are you really that clueless? Patch and changez have NEVER been private schools and if you were genuine alumi you would know that!
They were set up as white only schools using state funds to subsidise and reinforce white privilege .

Black principals came and pillaged the schools leaving them a shell of what they were. Duke of York even had a sailing club

Actually african headmasters ran the institute well it was one of the top schools from the late 60s to the early 90s.
It wasn’t until the late nineties when moisim overun the education system and corrupt and incompetent headmasters were put in charge of the school with an eye on hiving some of the schools land

That said schools like Alliance, Mang’u, Maseno etc were black heritage national schools who do not have the said equipment above. Even then you simply cannot compare what their alumni have done for their schools(both in lobbying, contributing for infrastructure and funding as well as scholarships contribution) compared with what the traditional provincial school alumni do for theirs…PERIOD!

That’s an interesting assertion coming from an educated person. Do you really understand the role of money , power, class and privilege in society??
Mangu has produced a president, 3 vice presidents, cabinet ministers, judges, archbishops, etc. Essentially alumni of both alliance and mangu have been running kenya since independence!
That would translate into being in a better position to get involved in (sic) “lobbying, contributing for infrastructure and funding as well as scholarships contribution” compared to alumni of less privileged schools.

The bottom line is, national schools started of with an advantage over provincial schools, whether its in terms of funding, facilities or well connected alumni and anyone asking what provincial alumni have done for their schools is like a [SIZE=6]midget standing on the shoulders of giants and loudly wondering why everyone else is short. :D:D[/SIZE]

I will not deny that the schools never started on a level playing field but don’t get it twisted, a lot of provincial schools have also produced very powerful personnel who have literally no attachment to the schools and have not helped/contributed to their schools on any way. Yearly our principal is tasked with delivering a report on the progress of KCSE and various other project undertakings in the school. The alumni has also in an instance taken the principal to court over mishandling of funds. The lawyers being old boys doing pro bono work.

In my school for example, the private sector alumni(senior personnel of some companies) has done more for the school than people working in government.

Back to my statement, I am sure there is a thing or two that you can do for your school. The question still remains, what have you ever done for your alma mater ama kazi tu nikulament nisaidie nisaidie

Again you’re missing the point by a mile. The point was, that you can not compare the alumni contributions of a school that started out with the bare minimum to those of a privileged institution, they will never catch up period.
Its sheer arrogance and ignorance to compare national schools to provincial schools even in terms of numbers.
As I have mentioned earlier at a certain point in Kenya, the cabinet was made of of alliance and mangu alumni, while nairobi and lenana schools filled the private sector.
It doesn’t take rocket science to appreciate the impact in terms of policy, financial muscle and the advantage that presence would bring and if you can’t see it, then I begin to question your education.

Now if you could give an example of a provincial school that had similar numbers in the higher echelons of either public or corporate Kenya then we could have a discussion otherwise the midget analogy still applies:D

Again you’re making assumptions about the kind of school I attended you know what assumptions do. . .:smiley:

Hata Mimi nilikuwa hapa. Nilikuwa nimeenda kutembelea uncle yangu aliyekuwa cook.