Plex Media Server Setup Guide for 2021 – A Beginners Guide

Yes, it is the QLED model. Has great colour reproduction (covers 93% DCI-P3), supports Dolby Vision, HDR 10, and HLG. However, it comes with Indian system bloatware which I removed by using Remote ADB Shell.

It gets relatively bright (kitu 400 nits), but not much to wow you like X9000H would. For its price, it is the best TV under 100K in Kenya. Even its sister C815 is not as good (edge-lit on C815 vs Direct-lit on C715). On gaming, since it is an Indian model it is capped at 60Hz. Motion is great.

Some people test whether it’s a true 4K by inserting their laptops HDMI, little do they know most laptops come with HDMI 1.4 that is capped at 4K 30Hz. Also, if your laptop does not have a proper dedicated GPU, connecting it to a 4K TV will default to 1080p, unless you force it through graphics settings.

Only downsides (for me) are: Not bright enough, no AV1 (If I waited this year ningechukua C725 with that), no eARC (so I had to buy Nvidia Shield for sound connected directly to receiver), no FALD (so ata kama panel ni VA, lack of FALD makes blacks look almost like LG’s IPS stuff).

Thanks Kiongozi for sharing this…i was feeling like am the only one who uses plex.
Any tips and tricks unaeza peana kwa beginners?

System ulibuy locally pia ama you imported?

Tip #1 Make sure if you use your laptop as a server and you have huge files, a lan cable is a must (from your laptop to router, router to tv) for best connection without drop outs. But anything less than kitu 30GB can be handled by wifi.

#2 You need lots of storage if you want big 4K HDR files with lossless audio, expect 1 TB to accommodate kitu 10-20 movies :D:D.

#3 Do not share your connection remotely unless your laptop can handle transcoding 4K to 1080p or 720 and your network is not Safaricom (uploading counts to your monthly data cap :D:D)

Nice tip. This was only for people who want to have plex at home not sharing. We don’t have that kind of bandwidth not unless people from the other end are watching 720p files.

Speakers tu ndio nili import. In Kenya dealers only care about anything Klipsch or Polk (and sell it at double the price, even Jamo is a Klipsch brand). Klipsch is objectively known to exaggerate highs. Usiwahi nunua Klipsch subwoofers, they perform poorly in objective measurements, even SPL 150. Rather than buy SPL 150 for 130K, get PB2000Pro for 140K, or import a HSU sub wakipandisha bei ya Pro. Or just wait for better days and get PB-1000 in the meantime.

You seem to know more than @Nyamgondho in this department (I know he’ll kill me). I don’t know why you are slept on. Hebu tell me about mini LED. Does it compare to OLED? Because I hold the belief that when it comes to TV nothing beats OLED, at least not for now, this is despite the fact that Mini LED is heralded as the incoming better tech compared to QLED. So it’s funny a future QLED tech ia still inferior to OLED. Also, what’s your thoughts on Samsung using inferior QLED panels on their TVs (inferior to OLED, that is) but using AMOLED on smaller gadgets. What the end game here??
Final question, kuna tofauti ya OLED na Super Amoled?? Read that Apple has ordered 110 million OLED units from Samsung for their next generation of iPhones. The internet tells me Amoled is just a form of OLED but I’d like to hear it from a fellow talker.

Storage is key. Many people don’t know how to choose files when downloading usisahau hio… Heck some can’t even tell a difference between 4k and 1080p…that’s why i said if they need a guide for that i will open a new thread talking all about it… Difference ya 4k na hdr na what to look for when downloading good quality releases

Mini L

Mini LED are on par with oled tv and are even expensive than Qled and even some oled. Amoled have always been used on Android phones and tablets they are really expensive because they contain twice as much laayers as Oled hence better display but their life span is quite low… Expect alot of burn in

I don’t think I know more than @Nyamgondho, ako na experience in the field :D.

First, OLED za simu made by Samsung are significantly better than LG’s stuff (RGB OLED vs WOLED). The problem is, RGB OLED cannot be made big enough for TVs. Samsung tried that but gave up. So, for TVs you are only stuck with “inferior” WOLED only manufactured by LG, while smartphones are dominated by Samsung’s RGB OLED.

Super AMOLED and other similar names are marketing stuff for Samsung’s mobile screens. In its root it’s OLED.

OLED is, currently, better than Mini LED. The latter is just a better version of LCD, but its real life implementation is not as good as it was theoretically envisioned to be.

Samsung is venturing into OLED game in their TVs, it ordered several OLED panels from LG this year. So in 2022 expect something. But it is still trying to manufacture its own better stuff like Micro LED and OLEDs made of nanorods instead of organic materials that leads to burn-in

Dolby Vision, HDR 10, HLG, etc, are all HDR formats. If you have a 4K file that has HDR, picture quality is glorious :p:p (if your TV supports it). However, my Plex player stutters a lot when playing Dolby Vision files, but HDR 10 stuff iko very smooth and impactful. I download my stuff from RARBG. Hapo utapata files labelled as either 4K HDR or 1080p, etc. BluRay files can either be 1080p or 4K with HDR support.

Make sure uko na internet poa ya ku torrent. Kama na download movie ya 70GB I leave it overnight and by 11AM next day iko sawa. My reseller used to give me a boost ya 50Mbps but nowadays sipewi boost. Wakati wa boost I could download 200 GB overnight pekee :smiley:

@ilonMask where do you download your releases?
@Jimit naona @administrator alikwara kupin this thread so we can be updating it

Burn in isn’t really an issue with today’s generation of gadgets. It’s not like the earlier days the TV will be stuck on one channel. I forgot to say am talking about Super Amoled.

What I have read online tells me something different

You just reminded me of something we talked about a couple of days ago. Movie sources. I remember telling you something about my 4k movies being 4GB plus. That’s HEVC. And by the way they are 4k HDR10+, so I fail to understand what you mean by “difference between 4k and HDR.” While HEVC is of course a lossless format, many online sources tell me that the quality is still superior. Though I understand the bitrate ia significantly compacted. What’s your take on this @skylerz and @ilonMask??

Wow it’s been a while since i have heard someone using RARBG, i am not a fan of torrenting so that’s why. I prefer direct downloads plus when ur in private trackers u get good quality releases from well known encoders kama kina TOMMY QXR FRAMESTOR just to name a few.

For an individual unaware of these terms, 4k will is similar to 1080, on a 43’ TV. The difference is noticeable when the screen size increases. 1080p will look washed out on a 65" TV but quite clear on a 43". Also, another factor comes into play, the distance from the TV

Ala! Na hapo ndo mimi hupata movies. Where do you download? I use psarips.

Haha sorry for the confusion i meant some people have never seen what hdr looks like alafu pia kuna 4k zenye sio HDR for people with screens that don’t support hdr. HEVC is good yes if it’s from a good encoder. There are even webrips which are better than webdl… Webrips that have been sourced from 4k files