Pan Religiousity

Growing up I qas raised in a family that identified as Christian, but really didn’t practice religion. There wasn’t a culture of daily prayer or Sunday church attendance, I would just sometimes find myself following my neighbor’s kids for Sunday school especially when I knew there would be goodies being dished out.
When I got into school, religion was taken more seriously, hence I found myself learning about the Bible and the characters therein. I was awed by characters such as Samson, Job, David and Solomon just to name a few. Jesus was the icing on the cake. Then high school happened and I became disillusioned when I found out that there were other religions out there, that there are even atheists, and that Christianity isn’t an African thing! I began to question the very existence of God. If God was one, wouldn’t religion be uniform all over the world?
All through college I identified as an Atheist, I would literally walk out of those weekly morning prayer sessions in the lecture room, this was despite my desk mate being a nun! She tried her best to draw me into her beliefs, but I just couldn’t be swayed.
Then some years back I got a job in Northern Kenya. You all understand how insecurity is rife in these parts. So I had to adapt quickly, I made a choice to convert to Islam on grounds of self preservation. Within no time I had learnt to recite some Quran verses by heart, I dressed even as the locals and learn a bit of the local dialect. With time I came to love the culture, the brotherly way all Muslims treated each other. I didn’t stay here for long though, but ever since I still do practice a bit of Islam even though I sort of renounced it. Whenever I am about to undertake any endeavor, or waking up in the morning I make a short recital of the Suratul Fatiha, for blessings I say out ‘Bismillah’. To ask for protection from the devil I ask Allah ‘A’udhu billahi min ash-shaytaan-ir- rajeem’, for forgiveness I mention ‘Astaghfirullah’. I mostly find these prayers effective and reassuring, yet still occasionally I will find myself making a Christian payer, crossing my fingers behind my back for luck or even wishing on shooting stars at night!
I don’t consider myself religious, but I am grateful I know these religions and practices. It’s human nature to try and believe in a higher being, one who provides.
What do you believe?

I can call myself an agnostic ( I can’t prove there is no intelligent creator but as of a Jehovah or allah im defiantly atheist) , I don’t pray at all, that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate religion having being raised christian and basically raising a Christian family , I do attend church once in a blue moon because of pressure from the missus or when the kids have to be baptized, or if there is some harambee kind of stuff. Have had conversation with the missus about my beliefs or luck of and she took it really well I was surprised I guess she is waiting for a miracle.

I really don’t mind religion as long as it is not affecting things like govt policy like immunization and contraception.

Do you sometimes find yourself swearing though on a deity, like, “Oh my God!”, or"Jesus Christ!"?

More like Holy fuck ! By the way you should check out Alain de Botton’s Atheism 2.0 on religion whithout the pressure of a deity

[MEDIA=ted]talks/alain_de_botton_atheism_2_0[/MEDIA]

I try to learn as much as i can about all religions I’m particularly interested with the Hare Krishna faith. I like their belief system and i often chant the Hare Krishna mantra.

I also was raised up beleiving that Christianity is the only true religion that was created by God himself! Only to learn that christianity is not even the largest religion in the world. But the last straw came when I learnt that the so called Israelites - that we aspired to be like - were not even christians and do not believe in Jesus as a saviour! Matters were not made better by the realization that Christianity is responsible for more deaths in history that any other religion or government. I gave up on that religion when I discovered that Mary was about 13 years old when she gave birth with a 70 year old man. Who does that to children!? She probably didn’t know what sex was and that it causes pregnancy so the only thing she could say was it was the holy spirit that was making her fat!

I was convinced that the tithes and offerings we give go to God…Later realized some of the money ends up in bars and prostitutes… I decided I want nothing to do with the god of christians! But I also dont find any reason to broadcast to the world that Christianity is fake. Kila mtu kwa raha zake.

Will do so.

Very true man, I remember there was a time I would read some Bible verses where God would instruct “his children” to wipe out entire tribes in the name of “Smite/smote”, and I would cringe and question what kind of a god is this? You have very valid reasons here, seems you have done your research well.

Only heard of this religion in passing, will check them out? Any resources you can point me to?

I just consider myself to be a spiritual person and that i do something because its the right thing to do. I believe in God nd i pray every night before I sleep but I don’t believe in any religion

Christianity has been misunderstood and misused.

I remember back in college, I took courses on Western civilization but we learnt about all religions. We studied Hinduism, I read the Bhagavad Gita. Islam, Christianity, Medieval religions and everything else in between. I was raised Christian but I recall vividly being a supporter of this “pan religiosity” thing where to be seen as PC, you don’t wanna hurt the Muslims or Hindus or Buddhists. We are living in a culture that believes everyone should get a participation trophy.

Wrong. I came to realize this later and stopped being a fence sitter. There is no other God than the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel. All other religions are fake.

why do you think they invented a ‘holy bible’ and devided it into two segments ; old and new testament ? by doing this people will less likely take heed of the old scriptures terming them as old.

why do you think they omitted some scriptures and failed to include them in the so called ‘holy bible’ ? they had a hidden agenda, they did this to hide their intentions and control people.

in the book of enoch, he says :

And now I know this mystery; that many sinners will alter and
distort the words of truth, and speak evil words, and lie, and concoct great
fabrications, and write books in their own words.
But when they write my words exactly in their languages, and do
not alter or omit anything from my words, but write everything exactly,
everything that I testified about before; then I know another mystery:
That books will be given to the righteous and wise and will be a
source of joy and truth and much wisdom.
And books will be given to them, and they will believe in them and
rejoice over them; and all the righteous who have learnt from them all the
ways of truth will be glad.

too bad they did not include enoch’s writings

The Hare Krishna usually give out free books pale archives. Wanakuanga hapo most days

Haha pardon me! Then you haven’t met Muslims. Do you know that these people’s conviction that theirs is the one only true religion is so strong it can be seen from space? Just try arguing with your Muslim friends about religion and you will be ashamed to find that your beliefs aren’t so strong as you make yourself believe, theirs is unshakable even unto death.

Sande sana, I may benefit from their practices, though I will never commune with them in their temples

See the problem with Christianity today is that it has become so adulterated with pure filth and false ideas. You don’t have to go into the world to see the rottenness, it’s right there in the so called church.

Christians have lost their “salt,” they don’t even know their Bible well. That’s why you find some of you being enticed by any fake religion that passes you. The test of truth is not it how hard you scream or yell in prayer, or how many times you pray. If you you think Muslims are fanatical, then you haven’t read about Pharisees and scribes. They were the most religious of all in Israel. Anyone, even the devil, can imitate religion but none can imitate the Holy Ghost. It’s either you have it or you don’t.

Pharisees, like the fake religions, were excellent at maintaining the external visuals of religiosity but their doctrine is wrong. The founder of what they purposed to believe in came to earth but they failed to recognize His Deity. Therefore, all their works are in vain.

Hapa unaeza saidiwa na @mishty

Hapo umegonga nje, mishty ni mwisilamu

Their temple is along Kipande/Ngara road.