Osungu.dll

Grammar Nazis @FieldMarshal CouchP , @introvert , @mankind , @uwesmake ( am not sure here) and @Meria Mata mata, (hao wengine ketini pale---->):
Is it in order to begin a new paragraph with the word ‘And…’?
Like in the case of an article by Nganga Mbugua in today’s nation page 14.

[ATTACH=full]62511[/ATTACH]
Elimisha Mimi osungu kidogo.

1 Like

Usungu ilikuja na meli, sioni shida hapo

8 Likes

After reading this article I remembered something that happened very long ago:
I once received a beating from my Class 7 English teacher for doing such.
It bothered me today mpaka nikaamua kuwauliza.

2 Likes

My take.
The word ‘and’ is a conjunction,usually used for connecting sentences.
It has been used for effect in the Bible…
"And The Lord said… "…
If I had to convey a strong message in a sentence I would use it.
Ngugu this…www.thewriter.com
Very insightful.

10 Likes

na meli ilitua nanga mombasani which is very far from where i come from so the runner who was send to deliver osungu to me lost some of the finer details in transit

7 Likes

Kweli…
KunywaTusker my good friend…
[ATTACH=full]62513[/ATTACH]

7 Likes

‘and’ is a conjunction used to join words or groups of words.

4 Likes

:D:D:D nice one, those are some of the finer details i was referring to

1 Like

Teacher of English… ama ulisomea Britain?

@gashwin, tokea kidogo.

1 Like

Is ‘my physics teacher’ wrong?

1 Like

Very.

Sioni ikiwa na shida in that context. In fact it connects the previous paragraph (idea) to the new one. Context is everything. I wouldn’t start the very first paragraph with ‘and’, ‘but’ or ‘therefore’, for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

No problem…

You need to understand that journalism is allowed some leeway to cater for space limitations. What you were talk in school is academic writing

3 Likes

Hehehe.
Hell no!
He was a shiny eye.

So the heart of the ban on starting a sentence with ‘and’ or ‘but’ seems to lie in the fact that they are coordinating rather than subordinating conjunctions, and as such are typically used to link elements of equal status within a sentence. The argument against using ‘and’ or ‘but’ to introduce a sentence is that such a sentence expresses an incomplete thought (or ‘fragment’) and is therefore incorrect.
However, this is a stylistic preference rather than a grammatical ‘rule’. If you are using it in an inflexible context, then you should respect this “grammatical” rule, but ultimately, it’s just a point of view and you’re not being ungrammatical. If you want to defend your position, you can say that it’s particularly useful to start a sentence with these conjunctions if you’re aiming to create a dramatic or forceful effect. As the following examples show, the introductory conjunction gives more weight to the thought expressed in the sentence (a comma would be far less emphatic):

Some people are calling this film the worst movie ever. And who are we to argue?

More at: blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/01/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction

KCB also skipped their English lessons … :oops:
[ATTACH=full]62529[/ATTACH]

2 Likes

I was among those told told to ‘keti pale’ So this observation carries no weight at all.

Enquire vs. inquire? No big deal.

There is one qualification to this. Some Britons make the distinction that enquire and its derivatives apply to informal queries, and inquire and its derivatives to formal investigations. While this distinction appears widely borne out in more carefully written British texts, it is less pronounced in more informal types of writing (some news websites, some blogs, web comments).

http://grammarist.com/spelling/enquire-inquire/