mechatronics engineering

Econ habana machezo

Ni knowledge for life

@Simiyu22 are you a lecturer? ?

No. Not a teacher.

Safi kabisa.

Huyo boy anataka kufanya Bachelors yake 8 years

Efidense of marketability

Entry salo ya engineers ni net 40k if you are not unlucky to land job with a mhindi who will pay you 20k kuoperate machine za fabrication.
Civil is best na iko na real jobs kenya.
I feel like joining the @Davidee crying club when I see what graduate engineers go through for their 6 years in school compared to people doing hassle free courses. engineers are taught research and design and kenya has almost zero of that. Na kama hujui universities have engineering classes with hundreds of students just because they want the extra coin of sponsorship from gava. Engineering graduates are not as rare as they used to be. Its a total rip off. You dont have to go with my opinion

Population grew so naturally engineering graduates increased. But Industrialization didnt match population growth. Therefore their demand has lagged. Pay has also lagged. We import everything. This is where there is a problem. Even increasing sugar processing and other agricultural process firms eg sugar, cotton, fertilizer, increases the need for engineers. Other industries in the country should be protected too eg paper, pharmeceuticals, etc. This is why I always say development is not only about building roads.

Actually mechatronics is very marketable and it is ONLY GOING TO KEEP GETTING MORE AND MORE marketable due to the rising need to have more skilled labour due to industrialization.

Halafu hizi ndizo course mtu hawezi kosa internship, non of my friends used a relative kumtafutia job.
Anyway this course can be basically summed up to the following areas of specialization.

[ul]
[li]Applied Physics[/li][li]Computing - basically programming. Both from embedded systems design to normal web applications.[/li][li]Industrial Electronics - power plants, normal industries etc[/li][li]Biomedical and Radiometric Instrumentation - All students that went to attachment at Nairobi Hospital and the likes got offers to get hired. Apparently there are no experts to operate these kind of machinery and with the rising number of hospitals and equipment as pointed out by @spear’s daily dose of development, opportunities are not going to cease any time soon.[/li][li]Telecommunications - I know a bunch of chics who worked on the safaricom internship program but most of the people I know went to work in mostly industries, software design shops and hospitals in that order.[/li][/ul]

Highly theoretical. I have not seen anyone who passed Electrical engineering, mechatronics or mechanical engineering and is with no job. This is what I majored in. The level at which it is easy to get internships may also point to how much demand there is. Remember that there is still a very acute shortage of skilled but not semi skilled or unskilled labour. Plus this kind of engineering is not only a ‘work in an industry sort of engineering’(that is probably industrial chem and mechanical). Majority of graduates have seen their way to the software engineering world, telcos etc.

The main issue with this field is not finding a job. The main issue is pay.

Someone put this well.

Unlike Lawyers, Medical doctors and Veterinary doctors who join the civil service at a higher job group, engineers are lumped together with other professionals such as teachers, economists, human resource officers, public administrators etc. No institution or organization is available in Kenya to address the welfare of engineers in the public service, but we have regulatory bodies that are obsessed with overregulation of the engineering profession, with no regard to the welfare of the engineers whatsoever.

I see your point. But I don’t believe it’s theoretical. Supply and demand play a huge part in wages.

Theoretically yes.

In this situation of ours, NO!

And I have told you just show me one link, JUST ONE of someone who passed on this field and tarmacked. Just ONE online rant. Hizi rants za tarmacking hukua especially in business courses kama hujui kuhustle ama very specialized degrees that have very little market.

The only thing engineers complain of is wages.

Here is a post that uses real data and not theoretical assumptions.

Kenya government has admitted that shortage of engineers is a major threat to its development blueprint of achieving newly industrialised country status by 2030.

Data from the Kenya Engineers Registration Board indicates that there are 1,323 registered engineers. There are a further estimated 5,000 graduate engineers, meaning that the country has about 6,323 engineers serving a population of 40 million.

It translates thus the ratio of an engineer to the population is 1:6,328 or one engineer serves 6, 328 people, nearly three times the recommended ration of one engineer serving 2,000 people by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation agency, UNESCO.

It also means that Kenya needs to triple the number of its engineers to meet the recommended ration, but that effort is lowed by the fact that only about 700 engineers graduate from universities every year.

But the problem of shortage of engineers manifests itself even more in the East Africa Community (EAC) putting new pressure on Kenya because on average it has a higher number of engineers compared to other EAC members.

It means that if offered better terms in those countries, Kenya will face further pressure.

Statistics released in December 2012 by EAC engineers meeting in Arusha, Tanzania indicated that one engineers serves 65,000 people in the EAC, a ration that is 10 times worse than Kenya’s.

During the December 2012 meeting, engineers from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania signed a Mutual Recognition Agreement for Professional Engineers in the East African Community. Rwanda and Burundi did not sign because they are yet to constitute their professional engineering bodies.

Sawa you win. I was looking at things from a different angle.

40 K is very low to start. There is a thread from last week auditors starting with 90 K with the accounting firms.

Starting salary of an engineer is around 60-70K for most firms.

How many accounting firms employ people at 90k other than the big 4(KPMG, Ernst & Young, Delloite, PKF)? And how many people were being hired. I saw 25. What portion does this represent of the hundreds of finance and business graduates?

If you compare the AVERAGE wage or even the median wage across various discplines; STEM fields ALWAYS come first. The same old engineering, architecture, medicine etc. The problem with these fields is that it can be quite challenging to get rich quickly as compared to other courses but don’t forget for other non STEM courses you are either making a lot of money or very little money in most cases especially in cases where you are dealing with commissions from client retainers etc like in sales.

Am in engineering and one thing for sure its Hard to rise among the ranks.
I remember internship was hell.
The old dudes used to give us lousy tasks and they would even Send you for a tool at the critical point of job só that you wont understand.
Thugs Just but extra effort and reading wide made me Who i am today.
At some point they would Wonder nimejulia Wapi.
Used to correct them too till wakakubali.