LIFE IN KENYA VS LIFE ABROAD-THE GOOD,THE BAD,THE UGLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug3lqD_5bNc

GM why the Waiguru avatar?
Anyways I don’t totally buy the part she says she missed Kenya. I think she came back because nobody cared about her and she probably couldn’t afford to pay someone to watch her baby. My cousin told me that you could be Uhuru’s or Ruto’s child but in London you’re a nobody. Some people who are used to the attention cannot stand being nobodies in society. So they feign this great love for Kenya when asked why they decided to come back.

11 Likes

Home is where your heart is.

The avatar is about impunity. My professor says several times in a lecture, Kenya is a jungle but we must survive. Her facial expression during her grilling by PSC shows the level of impunity in Kenya. So instead of me putting an avatar of Kenya just put a figurative avatar of what Kenya has become. You can steal money from poor youths, use it to build a sky scraper in town,then be insolent and defiant when held to account and then not only get away with it but bcm a governor! That’s the real flag,symbol,emblem of Kenya right there.

11 Likes

That is v true. No-one cares. Everyone looks after no 1. We call it the me mee meeee syndrome.

1 Like

I think the worst part of living abroad is the loneliness. I doubt a person with parents who can educate more than 2 kids abroad would’ve had any problems financing her. If my kids were abroad and couldnt afford work tht pays enough for daycare. Their father and I will support them financialy,pay for their flights atleast every year back home and return. Kenya were it not for corruption/impunity and generally lack of conscience. Dog eat dog society. But the country itself is amazing. After exams hubby n I will be taking some Koreans on a tour of all the tourist spots in Kenya. When you travel is when you realize Kenya is a paradise if ever there was one in this world! Ive had opportunities to go abroad even to study but I can’t stand the cold. Or extreme heatwaves. But my kids wanted different so we obliged them. But for me am a homebody,I can’t imagine living anywea but Kenya. Can only visit.

Doesn’t your soul die when you leave a place like Kenya where people are spiritual and you can knock on your next door neighbour to ask them for a cup of sugar and then move to a place where you never ever say hello to your jirani leave alone ask them for some sugar?

2 Likes

Maybe you don’t need to ask them for sugar. I can tell you that those living in upper class neighborhoods in Nbi eg Karen, Muthaiga, etc do not know their neighbors either.

3 Likes

@Yunomi …You could say so but it depends on ‘how old were you when you immigrated?’. I feel a little bit lost in Kenya as much as I love the beautiful scenary, good fresh food, relas, and it is home at the end of the day. But the Kenya you are describing in terms of neighbourliness mmmmh not sure about that today, that is of teneeeeeeeee.
I can’t for the life of me understand how someone can just drop by ati to say hi? case in point…I am sitting at home with my Mum or at my Sista’s and someone rings to say, ‘I am driving by so I am coming to say hello’. I am like ‘nooooo buana call me when she is gone. Heading to the bedroom’. They find that weird and rude but I find it normal.

We speak at the door with neighbours. Don’t know whether this makes sense.

1 Like

Georgie, you can only be lonely if you want to. If you work, you will have lots of work colleagues to hang out with. If you keep in touch with Kenyans you will def have networked enough to have a few like minded friends. Be it church, or social gatherings…or schools if you are a parent. Then also you embrace the world. My best ngeofriends are from the Caribbean.

I agree about the weather. Dampener.

1 Like

My incident with thugs and seeing how 60% of Nairobi residents lives in slums and sometimes seeing the corpses of dead criminals who are actually children bcz some could be no more than 15, when I look at their bullet ridden corteges I see suffering and despair. So here we are all victimized by our system/way of life. The rich who will killed by kids who turn to crime out of despair and the piss poor who grow up in squalor,sometyms its their parents who tell them to prostitute or steal. If you look at their bodies you can tell they died along time ago, it was actually just the inevitable physical end to their despair,they were waiting for. At young age it dawns on them that that is their destiny.

There was a time I had alot of interest in this area so I did alot of research. I saw their humanity. And I saw them as victims. I listened to many who had reformed and it sounded like the life of crime was a very bad dream. Much of the time they were in a fog induced by a plethora of drugs,they hardly ever ate. Theyre like street kids,even if you give them very good food,theyre so used to the glue that they have no appetite. I understand that they have to be poor people but surely if it weren’t for corruption atleast it would not be 60% living that way.

Our corrupt way of life has contributed to all this crime and poverty. Police rent out their guns and sell bullets to these kids bcz they’re paid poorly. Other than police there is an entire industry around crime esp in Nairobi. There people who make guns -homemade guns, there are people who bring guns from failed states around us,there people who train these kids how to use guns,target practice -shooting range, there police who protect the teachers at a fee.There witchdoctors who give them amulets and paraphernalia to protect them.There are underground medics who tend to their bullet wounds when theyre injured,there drug dealers who sell them every imaginable drug. The political leaders and business men who use them to do their dirty jobs and to intimidate rivals. In some cases some political leaders benefit directly from the criminal activities of this poor kids including robberies. Much the same way Maina Njenga benefitted from Mungiki extortion rings. The extortion rings work as a,para govt - they collect taxes to offer services like protection, like water,garbage and electricity - I understand that there’s a resurgence of these groups. This is what happens when an entire group of people numbers on unemployment cite 14M are left behind by the so called Big 4 and Vision 2030 and other development agenda. This is a reservoir that can be tapped into for any number of criminal/illegal activities including poaching and illegal logging. And this is what happens when there’s impunity and lawlessness as a normalized way of life in a country!

If you look at countries destabilized by militia groups this is how it began huge chunks of the population were left behind. While opposite end of the spectrum are untouchables and above the law.And as they bcm increasingly desperate the more inclined they became to extremist ideologies, . to radicalisation,militarization,recruitment for all types of crime,membership in secret societies and proscribed groups like Mungiki,Gaza and others.

The next thing was parallel govts in form of movements and militia. We already saw this with Mungiki and Sabaot Land Defence who were the govt of their respective areas Central and Mt Elgon. The areas where govt had left gaps they took over like providing slum dwellers with elec,water and security.

We need a more pro poor govt bcz extreme poverty and marginalizATION of a majority is not in any of our interest regardless of the class. Marginalization is one thing but combined with gross injustices such as the runaway graft in Kenya is a recipe for disaster! In failed states all over the world this were the antecedents.

5 Likes

she is so real l like her

Btw in many Nairobi neighborhoods you could live together for years without even knowing let alone speaking to your neighbors. I remember when I came from a coastal town to Nairobi I felt like people are very standoffish compared to Coast where everyone says hi and chats you up. Even super market attendants would tell me I must be from out of town bcz I wasnt as curt as my Nairobian compatriots! You’d be surprised how westernized we’ve bcm.

Right. But don’t blame the government entirely. They are a reflection of the population.

You’re right about a few things regarding life abroad. BUT, I speak for myself having spent more years in America than Kenya. Despite everything bad you hear about the US (and there are many downsides), I would still pick this country 10x over. Don’t get me wrong, Kenya is beautiful, great weather, fantastic people all that jazz but I’ve come to deeply appreciate what this country has done for me. The immense opportunities I’ve been awarded on a silver platter. When I compare myself with peeps I schooled with who were much brighter than me, life has been very tough for them in Kenya, being employed and all. ‘Tis quite unfair and unfortunate for them because they would’ve thrived had they left the country. Everyday when I remember to, I thank my parents for having the audacity to dream outside of kenya’s borders for us. All my siblings live in the US too and they feel the same way. We love kenya though but naaaaaah. :p:D:D
Also, if I ever had kids I would want to bring them in up here while making sure they stay in touch with their roots. Kenya shall remain a place for investments and holiday once in a while. If I had to live there permanently I would go nuts. Ndigehota, long live the USA and Kenya. That’s my unbridled, honest, sober opinion.

2 Likes

Nada to add Sis. Pia mimi the United Kingdom is my shores. Arrived at 19, so lived my adult life here. But I still lurve Kenya.

1. One thing I have learnt about people who tend to move out and stay out is that they have very little loyalty to anyone or anything. Be careful around them. The same goes for people who move from rural areas to town and pretend they cant even sleep at their true home in ocha. That they belong to towns. Every time they are leaving in the evening even if it means hitching a ride in someones car.
    I have some extended family relatives who are very selfish folks even among themselves. You can always see the self serving attitude by their behaviour. The ailing couple chooses to stay in expensive rented houses, but cant even afford medicine so they have to be supported by the rest of the extended family. The kids are those types that dont give crap about parents or anyone. Some are in uk permanently and others in the us and dont give a crap whats going on at home. Niliona mmoja kenya after a family breakup with culture shocked children pretending to love home. Even those living in kenya are dont give crap guys. The kind of guys that greet you in a very jovial manner and will always go for a hug, but you know its fake affection.
    So if you hear of a family with children that moved abroad permanently there is usually something systemically wrong with it. Even those families that tend to largely ignore the larger rural extended family relatives are of that kind. Na ndio family utakuwa unaskia sijui nani alienda US.
  2. I have learnt that ciku will always return to kabete and she will take her child/children along. And you might be permanently be silenced in the process. Be warned!!

Nimecheka sana. :D:D:D Vaite Murume I think your views are abit misguided.

2 Likes

I will say this as a late entrant into the category of those that venture outside the country
I lived in kenya till the age of 32 and I can say I saw nothing but hard times and suffering. I even had a hand in hawking in nakuru and I can say it was a lot more of struggle. So when I got the opportunity to move out I was out faster than you could say yes.
I would love to be back in my country but not before I have a good savings kitty. I know what it is like to be poor over there and I didn’t like it. I also would like my kids to be born here coz of the medical care. Leaving nothing g to chance.

3 Likes

Kenya is full of positive energy.
Sitoki hapa