Kerio Valley/ The wild wild west

For the last few months this part of Kenya has had tension the size of the Great Rift valley.
Communities are rising against one another and the political temperatures have only exacerbated the situation in the north.
Communities there know who is fanning the conflict and even arming a particular community( I’m not NIS, don’t expect me to name the warlords here). Unless the security apparatus in wake up to the reality of the security situation in Kerio then we should prepare for the worst…wild wild west.

2 Likes

When insecurity is mentioned in Kenya people think about terrorism and phone snatching in town, they forget the situation in the north rift.

1 Like

4 APCs have been driven there. it won’t be long before they start crying “police brutality”

1 Like

The situation is bad and the government is doing nothing!

Three months ago I was in Tot, same day VP was there and treated to a firing spectacle. Pokots have lots of good weapons and bullets that seems will never run out any time soon. We were actually shocked at the amount of spent cartridges on that particular day, it was a heap, I think they were calling them mbegu. When we crossed over and went to the marakwet side we found a sorry site, fear gripped villagers who spent most of day watching over the Kerio Valley incase of an attack. Pokots all the way from Kacheliba to Kapenguria and Lokichar are well armed, and daring, but atleast Turkanas were not as scared of them as Marakwets and Tugens.

6 Likes

such a beautiful land with a lot of violence
[ATTACH=full]85326[/ATTACH]

7 Likes

In a few weeks time you will be here yet again condemning the government for being too hard on the attackers.Just wait…

1 Like

I come from mount ELgon Area, i salute what the KDF did there. SLDF were not good people. Kenya government should invest in securing the northern and western borders , that way they can proceed to disarm the Turkana, Pokot. Political undertones noted in your response.

6 Likes

By the way the Matakwei faction died and has never been heard of again.The same exercise need to be KV

1 Like

The ones who survived the onslaught by KDF ran as far as Gulu in northern Uganda. That area is not going to try any ujinga again anytime soon.

3 Likes

Seems government can actually do something about all these insecurities.The govt itself has lost enough soldiers and other resources.I wonder why they wait till when its too late and damage done

1 Like

Funny thing is when we spoke to security chiefs at Kapenguria they couldn’t hide their fear. They fear those Pokot lunatics and no security officer wants to be deployed in those areas. nearly all young boda boda teenagers in all pokot inhabited towns/markets are warriors, well trained and blood thirsty. Some elders were telling us that boda boda business has really helped them since it has diverted the young warriors attention from raiding to boda boda business. I have a feeling a crackdown will mostly affect the innocent ones. Unlike Mt Elgon the Pokot are widespread, needs serious intelligence gathering and not just one or two raids…needs sustained efforts

3 Likes

That’s why I like how M7 dealt with Karamojongs (cousins of the Turkana) across the border. UPDF iliwaonyesha moshi.

4 Likes

I see this as a vice that can be dealt with if the government has a goodwill.Where do the weapons come from.Lack of empowerment doesn’t mean to engage in heinous acts.

NgCDF and bursary funds are used to acquire weapons in some of this areas and security agencies are well aware of this

The north and west borders are literally open. You can get a gun from S.S or Ethiopia pretty easily. The cartels beneffiting from cattle rustling also help supply illegal firearms in the area.

2 Likes

When Joho expresses his views in front of the President they want to take his gun and other shenanigans to intimidate him, they involve all security apparatus from Nkaissery to Marwa, innocent Kenyans continue being butchered in the rift and I have not seen the CS react with the same gusto. It really leaves you wondering

12 Likes

From my little interaction with these people seems like people arming them are well known. I fail to understand why the government cannot deal directly with them, especially the ones on the Kenyan side

Kuna MP anajulikana and ironically, he is in the Security Committee.

3 Likes

Wanasiasa wameoza vichwa kaka.

2 Likes