Jubilee Shoudl Focus on The Metre Gauge Railway

I think even in engineering there exists many design options, it does not necessarily mean what china proposed is the only way to achieve the goal - I am not saying it was wrong but there were different schools of thought.

Some reasoned that using the old line and adding another line to have 2 tracks would have been cheaper, considering the line is mostly a cargo line so high speeds were not a big factor, and I dont think the cargo trains on the sgr are doing that high speeds, I doubt they are exceeding 100kph I might be wrong the old line I think could max at arund 60-70 which for cargo is not bad.

Anyway, my point is that there are always different options, both with merits and cons.

And that is the brilliant solution based on your personal feasibility study?

SGR ikifika Naivasha inaingiza migurudumu na kukalia metre gauge.

Have you taken the SGR?

When yo do, keenly observe the lunatic line to the right or left of the new tracks and see how lazily it meandered on the plains, around hills and barely above seasonal river beds. No way a modern train could could do 50kph or more on that line without flying off the rails!

As you have been adviced above, go into the Ktalk archives and Skyscrapercity, read up and catch up.

Wachinku ni meffi in my eyes…ghasia

@Nattydread No one is disputing whether the SGR new is Better than Upgrading the old Railway. The question is: are we getting value for money?

We can use the New SGR for Mombasa to Nairobi/ Naivash-Mombasa while the meter gauge for Nairobi - Malaba cargo.

1. Why are importers being forced to import through the SGR at subsidized rates if it really is a great idea?
  2. If the Old meter Gauge is so bad, how did it manage to hold for all that time? The only problem with the old rail was poor maintenance.
  3. The problem with the meter gauge is that it went at an average of 70KM rather than 120KM/hr
  4. China has threatened to suspend the financing for Naivasha to Malaba because of the fish ban (another roadside directive of Uhuru)

As for feasibility studies, i didn’t do a feasibility study on the laptop project, but it was a pretty dumb idea. Who is talking about laptops now?

Sometimes it is painful to know that we made a stupid decision as a nation. But we don’t have to throw good money after bad money. We should stay away from the culture of being defensive with our projects just because tehy were too expensive.

The line is both cargo and passenger. We don’t have the resources to build separate cargo and passenger lines.
And it’s much cheaper and economical in the long run to future-proof major infrastructure as much as possible.

Bottomline is if you are to achieve a high speed rail, you need a flat line, with very gentle curves.
You can’t expect to have track curve radius that were designed for steam engines to sustain the speeds of an electric engine.

From an engineering standpoint, there may not be a way to achieve today’s speeds with the 100+ year old track, without spending as much money as has been spent on the new one.
Unless the ‘upgrade’ we’re talking about is simply the facilities and improving efficiency, but remaining with the metre gauge.

What you are saying is like applying a layer of tarmac on any surface. You don’t see what goes below the tarmac.
Laying the track is the easiest part of the job, and if you were following, it was the part that was being accomplished quickest.

The tracks only hold the train into place, but the base is what supports its weight. The same way you can’t land a dreamliner on a Thika road without destroying the road, is the same way you can’t exceed the axle-load capacity of a rail track.
And I’m pretty certain a 100+ years old track was not designed with modern weight capacity in mind.

[SIZE=7]Ugandan gov’t denies pulling out of SGR deal with Kenya[/SIZE]
[ul]
[li]ALLAN OBIERO[/li][li] [/li][li]31 OCT 2018[/li][/ul]
Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni’s government has denied reports of abandoning the construction of a Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) line connecting the country with Kenya.
According to the country’s Minister of Works and Transport, Monica Azuba, Uganda is on track and will not backtrack on its plan to connect the region through a railway line.
Speaking to the press in Kisumu when she paid a courtesy call at the headquarters of the Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC), Ms. Azuba said 90 per cent of the cargo going to Uganda from Kenya is through the road which is relatively slower.
“I want to refute this in strong terms, Uganda is very much on track with the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR). The SGR is very important to our country… it is really to cut down the travel time for our cargo between Mombasa and Kampala,” said the minister.

Do you know how expensive it would be to transfer every piece of cargo and every passenger into different rolling stock?

my opinion was that, its possible to convert the old gauge line to a standard gauge line - I think its called a dual gauge and some European countries have that I was looking for that name it had escaped me
Dual gauge - Wikipedia

anyway my point is that, there were other options available, of course with their pros and cons.

of course I will go and look at that, but common its a discussion that has been opened up, giving views is not bad thing or is it. Lakini wacha nitafute hizo zingine.

Mbona unapigia mbuzi guitar?

Ngai!
Hiki kipawa chote…