If You Live Abroad WHERE SHOULD YOU RETIRE? For Me: Vumbinista

At age 60, she wasn’t entirely sure where Bali was. By age 62, she was living there.

Sherry Bronson, now 69, spent much of her life in Minnesota, where she raised three daughters and worked in real estate. But she didn’t love it: “I have hated the weather in Minnesota since I was a child,” she says.

So in 2010, when her oldest daughter, who was teaching in South Korea, asked her to come to Bali so they could celebrate Sherry’s 60th birthday together, Sherry — after, she recalls with a laugh, Googling “Where’s Bali?” — jumped at the chance.
It didn’t disappoint: “The first thing that struck me as I got off the plane was the air — it was chewable, humid and warm with a scent of incense,” she says. “It was sweet and spicy and magical.” The next morning, she awoke to roosters crowing and the swooshing sound of a woman sweeping flower petals that had fallen in the night.

In 2012, at age 62, Bronson took early retirement and moved to Ubud, after having spent the previous two years downsizing (by the time she moved to Ubud, all of her remaining possessions fit into four plastic bins, she says), paying off debt and saving money.

Here’s what Bronson’s life is like in Ubud — from costs to health care to language to making friends:

The cost: Bronson says Bali is fairly inexpensive, noting that you can “live simply on $1,000 a month” and “live very, very comfortably on $3,000 a month,” which, she adds, means you go out to dinner with wine multiple times a week. (Other blogs provide similar calculations of the cost of living, with most people said to be living pretty well on about $2,000 a month.)

‘I never felt like I belonged in the U.S.,’ says 62-year-old who fled Minnesota to retire in Bali — where you can live ‘very, very comfortably’ on $3,000 a month (msn.com)

My brother has been in US since 2008 and has amassed quite some money from doing odd jobs over there. ( you know washing and hanging tugukas and shoshos skins to dry etc)
He has no intenshen of retiring there. In fact he has a palatial home in isinya (near Fred’s ranch), several high end for sale properties in Ngong and 3 flats in eastlands.

Not possible if earning minimum wage.

Lets do the math.

Palatial home ksh15M
Several Ngong’ (let’s call it three) 8x3 = ksh24M
3 Flats ksh 25x3 = ksh 75M

So he’s worth minimum of ksh 114M > $1M

If he earns $20 an hour which is a stretch for such jobs, he would have made less than $1M since 2008. This is after tax but ignoring living expenses.

So unless your brother @patco sells ass on the side…

Danganya Toto jinga.

Some of her concerns match ours in Vumbinista:

You also can’t drink tap water, and travel to the U.S. can be tough. When asked about flights back to the U.S. to visit her three daughters and four grandkids, Bronson says: “It takes me an average of 30 to 36 hours, including at least one layover, to get back, then another week or two of jet lag.”

Health care: One big issue for retirees in Indonesia is the quality of care. As Bronson notes: “Health care is a work in progress here.” She adds:

Safety: “This is a Hindu culture. They very much believe in karma. They won’t harm a bug or a living soul,” she says.
“I can walk from A to B after dark and never feel afraid — I leave my door open all day.”

Don’t try this in Vumbinista… :D:D:D

Cons: Worse in Vumbinista

He runs 8 homes for the elderly who pay him between USD 40 and usd 500 per day depending on the kind and extent of care they require.
Kaa tu hapo na assumptions wako.

This is a business he’s running, an enterprenuer. Health Industry is big business. Wewe umesema anaosha wazee which means your post was not adding up and I pointed it out.

He must be your parents favorite.

@patco sells ass on the side…

Danganya Toto jinga.
[/QUOTE]

You sound jelous, the above statement is in very bad taste…kuna watu wanajua kutafuta pesa wengine hutafuta kazi tu

Vòila!
Tu sont tres intelligente.
Tu as un proffesseur?
Chien!

Chien pia wewe. I lived in Troi Rivieres so French is easy mon admean.

@Dora-ttitude the OP led us to believe sibling is a minimum wage earner. I was just trying to say there must be more his brother does and he cleared it up.

Kyhii wacha kunitaja taja ovyo ovyo. Mimi sio wa rika yako. Ng’ombe khassiah,nyang’au.

Never said so. Doing odd jobs doesnt mean he is a minimum wage earner…but then you wouldn’t understand from your muguka bases POV.

People convert the dollars into Kenya shilling and wonder…hio pesa yote… They fail to understand living standards up there ziko juu. Rent ya one bedroom ranges between 900 to 1500 dollars.

Anyone in the village who’s been to the USA to shed some light on this one…

Check it out:

https://www.jeffersoneastbranch.com/floorplans/

An entrepreneur ndio unaita odd jobs? That brother of yours is a BigWig. I know because I have done consulting for a HMO.

Odd job ni kama hii yako ya redio and tbh you’re not too good at it anyway. The most nonsense is posted when you’re on duty.

Angalia IP address alafu sema tena Muguka.

Nyumbani. In fact I need to upgrade nyumba yangu ya nyasi na mabati ya girlshit.

If he runs adult family homes huyo ni sonko even here in the US one house can give profits of $10k a month so ur bro makes around 70k$ a month he can retire anywhere in this world

It’s very much possible ! Due to a shortage of workers, some agencies are paying upwards of $40 an hr for CNAs .

:D:D:D:D

[ATTACH=full]375233[/ATTACH]

$1000 or $3000 a month in Bali ni kugongwa. It’s among the poorest provinces of Indonesia. Yani huko ni mushatha ya Indonesia. Kuishi $3000 a month, you are punching too high. Earning $500 a month is considered top upper class. For example, the governor’s basic salary in bali is $200. (20,000Ksh) Either wanamcon au she is overpaying for everything.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2019/02/22/governors-request-raise-claiming-lower-salaries-than-regional-councilors.html

Let me say Africa and Asia are great places to retire. Way better than any 1st world country. The only catch is healthcare, if you get a health complication. Just move outside the traffic and dust infested cities. Life is cheap, rear 3-4 cows for fresh daily milk for chai, fuga Kuku for daily eggs. Fresh Sukuma and veges from the garden. If you have a freezer, you slice one mbuzi and have meet for a month.

Bidenstan is tough to retire. You have to downgrade your lifestyle. Social security benefits are not enough to match your present standard of living. You can pay off your house but annual insurance and taxes are more than mortgage fees.
You can’t drive a newer model car like you were used to, can’t shop or travel like you were used to. You get reduced to sitting in the house, hoping that nothing breaks down and has to check your pockets. Mostly money going out and that’s why you find 70+ year olds trying to work.

Theres hoards of people moving to retire in Africa, as the interior opens up. Internet, crypto are opening up Africa at an unbelievable pace. Tonnes of opportunity.