Hotel/Club Tipping Culture

I’m always confused about the concept of tipping bartenders/bouncers, however mi hufeel guilty when I have cash but nikose ku tip, still mi hushangaa if it’s good practice, ama inaweza fanya ma waiter wakuzoee vibaya?

Those who tip nyinyi hu tip how much?, let’s say bouncer wa club, or the waiter that serves you, and what value do you suppose it adds to the person/community at large?

Nikitip Huwa wanadhani ninaitisha slices

3 Likes

4 Likes

I take it as a matter of appreciation. It also helps cos when you are a good tipper you notice that you get good service. Ofcourse sometimes it can also become a bother.

1 Like

good point, I guess it depends on the character of the server, the genuine ones do appreciate, the wicked ones take it with disdain.

3 Likes

If it’s a joint you frequent then tip even if it’s a 100 kshs note. A bouncer once saved me from some rowdy Nigerians in a club who were after my soft meat by force.

I never tip. I dont do small talk with waitresses and barmaids. So far so good.

1 Like

damn

no simping, vile inafaa unless on a special occasion.

Once I visited the USA and noticed that waiters and bartenders earn more through tips than they do from their salary. I also discovered that they are not highly paid by the establishment they work for and it’s almost compulsory for you to tip waiters. I also noticed that the tips are taxed. Here in Kenya I can’t tip a waiter since they usually take it as a right after you get used to giving every time

3 Likes

Huyu dem anaendelea aje na blog yake.Alibore sana na ile ufala yake ya kudisrupt operations za JKIA ati ‘am making content’

2 Likes

true, the sad part is where they get entitled and you start avoiding that place

1 Like

Miss Trudy ni drama queen tu.

1 Like

True dat rasta

Hapa Kenia, unless they have gone an extra mile to do a flambé on your reserved table or bring a clown to help your kid blow candles on their birthday cake brunch, just avoid. It comes off as seduction, and brings entitlement to the receiver and jealousy from co workers since a share of the tip may never get to the chef.

2 Likes

As a Kenyan who tips, please tip if any of the following apply:

-If it’s really good service.
-If it’s really good service over multiple days .
-If it’s really good service and the waiter/ waitress looks like they really need it.

As a rough guide, let the tip be about 10-20% of your bill, minimum being about sh200 and maximum being sh1000. That should be a tip well appreciated by 2024 cost of living standards.

Cash is best for tipping. If it’s MPesa, ask for their direct number and send the tip there, as you pay the hotel/ restaurant bill kwa till.

More Kenyans should start tipping. That tip might be someone’s fare for a day or two na pengine hata hajalipwa on time…

4 Likes

Nilitip lanye after anipatie mkia tight

1 Like

I have tipped a few barmaids and I ended up chewing some of them. I once left my phone at Baniyas club when seriously drunk, nilipata bouncer flani ameniwekea kwa counter because I tip him sometimes. I view it as eitquette.

2 Likes

Kama pale BND Kiambu Rd, nilianza kuboeka usipotip inakaa personal. Nikama you owe them.

1 Like

Tip when you feel like. Not a must. Don’t sympathize with people because of skewed judgement, ati unafikiria hawalipwi poa. There are different phases in life. Besides, the hotels, bars, and clubs are already pricy. Ugali matumbo @800 na beer @ 350, ati tip tena…ahh! Sometimes I think the tip is factored in.

1 Like