Foreign organisations want Kenya to legalize homosexuality

Subscribe
Business

Global firms want Kenya to allow homosexuality
Sunday, July 04, 2021
LGBTQ
Supporters of LGBT at the High Court in Nairobi during the case on the decriminalisation of gay sex in Kenya in 2019.
Photo credit: Jeff Angote | Nation Media Group

By Elvis Ondieki
What you need to know:
New report has ranked Nairobi among cities where the LGBT community faces discrimination.
Report mentions the High Court decision of May 2019 where judges refused to quash a section of the Penal Code that criminalises homosexuality.
A coalition of 27 global companies has asked Kenya to fully recognise gays, lesbians, bisexuals and the transgender to unlock more billions into the economy.

The coalition Open for Business, comprises Microsoft, Google, Barclays, Standard Chartered, Diageo, IBM, PwC, American Express, Burberry, among others.

In a report titled The Economic Case for LGBT+ Inclusion in Kenya, they say Kenya loses between Sh18.5 billion and Sh130 billion every year because of policies that assign criminality and discriminate against members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

The report says the discriminatory environment sees Kenya lose between Sh6.5 billion and Sh14.3 billion per year because it is unattractive to some tourists.

The report rates several cities across the world in terms of LGBT inclusion. Cities are placed in 13 categories and Nairobi is in the 12th alongside Dakar, Casablanca, Rabat, Dhaka and Almaty.

There are 10 top-tier cities in the report and they include Amsterdam, Berlin, Chicago, London, New York, Stockholm, and Washington. At the very bottom 12 cities that include Dar es Salaam, Addis Ababa, Cairo, Riyadh and Tehran.

“Increased focus on LGBT+ inclusion can create the environment necessary to drive greater levels of economic competitiveness. As Nairobi becomes a more open and inclusive place, it may achieve a higher rating, signalling that it is ‘open for business,’” says the report. “An open for business city is globally connected, a welcoming place for people from all types of backgrounds, including LGBT+ people.”

Same-sex marriages
The report mentions the High Court decision of May 2019 where judges refused to quash a section of the Penal Code that criminalises homosexuality.

It also takes note of the fact that Kenya does not recognise same-sex marriages, and explains that the elements of criminality in same-sex unions were introduced by British colonialists and were retained at independence.

“Out of 54 countries in Africa, Kenya is one of the 36 that have criminalised homosexual behaviour or acts, four of which impose the death penalty (Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria, and Mauritania). Kenya’s Penal Code pronounces carnal knowledge as an act against the order of nature and anyone guilty of carnal knowledge is liable to 14 years’ imprisonment,” reads part of the report.

“According to a report by the Kenya Human Rights Commission, LGBT+ Kenyans are harassed by State officials and are often subjected to physical violence and death threats,” it adds.

The report then breaks the figures Kenya loses due to the prevailing legal environment. It says up to Sh105 billion is lost due to poor health outcomes for the LGBT groups.

We will not condemn such unnatural acts

It’s all about money

Kenya to get 18.5birrions just to let faggets ran amok? Wacha tukufe na njaa aki ya nani. Unaimajin ile cruise ship ya ma homo imepark pale mombasa? Ama a whole 777 full of fruitloops jkia? Nope,nakataa. They can practice that shït where its legal,in the meantime watulize. Im not hating but ukweli usemwe. We are not ready wena!!!

we have just been fine without the 6 billion, its better we live modest than sell our childrens soul to the devil.

we should Boycott KBL, ABSA and Stanchart . ati wanatusaidia umbwa hao they are stealing our hard earned cash daily

lynch all homosexuals

Wakufe kabisa maumbwa hao. Mzungu atatumalizia jamii bana.

kanguthu, Thirimaii, poyoloko, @tyler123 et al

Infact we should petition homosexual tax 40% to those corporate companies which are advocating for it.

… so you will condone them?

There is not a single case I’ve heard in Kenya where somebody was imprisoned because he was a homosexual.

i wonder what a man can see attractive from another man.Hizo mitharigo na makende zimekauka ivoh??
ata kambolo katasimama kweli??:D:D ata sura zenyewe they are enough to turn you off.

of course kuregalize homosexuality ni ujinga infact they should be stoned to death.

When I came to America many years ago, Americans on social media forums like yahoo.com used to talk like y’all. With a lot of bravado and machismo. :D:D Mtatii tu.

Just wait.

What you don’t realize is Kenyan and American culture are different as night and day. America is full of so many different cultures which makes it very much easier to pursue such things.

Plus In America “coming out” was a thing people were doing back in the eighties, moreso people in the spotlight. In Kenya, people, and I mean the majority are nowhere near ready to have that conversation.

They should tell arab countries the same thing

Chap Osungu mepiga wewe chenga. What you should do is condemn those acts if you disagree with them, or you’re serious??

If you @Matapiko are not into that lifestyle like me, worry less.
I could care less even if Kenyan Constitution was changed to accommodate them. I’m not boarding.
And I will put my efforts into educating my family from adopting the ill…period.

Homo sympathizer

the global “elites” the Satanists have a fetish for a gay earth especially in Africa in the wise words of dr Mugabe and M7 we are not gays. nani anakumbuka the fella obama a few years back the nigga had the audacity
to lecture us about gay rights.

Sorry typo, *condone

*We will not condone