Dr. Robert Ouko.......A Murder Story

Just spotted this thread on twitter…

After the Washington trip. Ouko’s driver and security detail were withdrawn and his passport withheld, (it was handed to Christabel, his wife, 2 days after Ouko is confirmed dead). Moi then gave Dr. Ouko some days off, in which he decided to go to his Koru home. A few weeks before Ouko’s death, several changes were made. The D.O Muhoroni (where Dr. Ouko’s home was) was transferred. Kisumu also got a new D.C, Godfrey Mate.
The OCPD, Emmanuel Mwachiti Chiti had been transferred to Kisumu just a few months before the murder. On the February 9, the Provincial Criminal Investigation Officer, Nyanza was replaced by Christopher Timbwa, who occupied the same position in Western Province. However, the new PCIO did not assume duty but was directed to proceed on his annual leave. Most of those transferred were the people Ouko relied on for information. On 9th February, Dr Ouko was going to see Peter Langat, the Kericho D.C, who was Moi’s nephew. He was driving alone, and on his way he was involved in a suspicious road accident along the Kisumu Kericho road when an oil tanker rammed into his car. He survived. On the morning of February 12, Dr. Ouko told his wife Christabel to travel to Nairobi by road and he would join her by air the next day.
In the evening of that day, Dr. Ouko entertained the company of sister Dorothy Randiak who had to check on the Minister. After Dorothy left, the Minister checked on his poultry. That day, he had received a brood of 500 chicks, and he was concerned the room they were housed was too cold. Dr. Ouko was with his home servants, including Selina Were, the housemaid; Zablon Agalo, the AP officer guarding the home; and Philip Rodi, the farm manager. In Kisumu, Michael Owiti, the civilian driver of Nyanza Provincial Commissioner, Julius Kobia, received an unusual assignment. He was called by his boss( Kobia) who instructed him to drive the PC’s white Mercedes Benz to Sirikwa Hotel in Eldoret to pick some guests at the Hotel. At Sirikwa Hotel, three people approached him, inquired, and identified themselves as the people that he had been sent to pick. He left Eldoret at 8.00 P.M. and drove to the PC’s residence where he found a fleet of top official Government vehicles.
At the PC’s residence, he saw Mr. Hezekiah Oyugi, Mr. Jonah Anguka, and Nicholas Biwott. There were five cars at the residence. At around half past midnight, he (Michael Owiti ) was instructed to lead the party driving along Kisumu – Kericho Road.

In his vehicle, the carried the PC and two of the guests he had picked at Sirikwa Hotel. They turned at a junction towards Muhoroni. At a certain point, they were instructed to put off their lights and wait for a signal for them to proceed. Near the home of Dr. Ouko, all the passengers alighted leaving the drivers alone and walked towards the home of Dr.Ouko. At around 2:00 AM, Selina Were, the housemaid, was awakened by a loud bang. When she heard the first bang, she sat up on her bed, and then she heard three gunshots on the bedroom side of the Minister’s house. At first, she did not come out due to fear and because there was an armed guard in the compound. She curiously and with fear peeped at her window, she saw Philip Rodi (farm manager) tiptoeing followed by men who were in green uniform moving towards the store. After a while, she saw Hezekiah Oyugi standing in front of her door. The security lights were on by then. There was no single vehicle in the homestead.
After an hour or so, she came out of her house and went to the open visitors shed where she saw a white Mercedes Benz with dim lights turn at the lower main gate. In the morning, Selina went to the bedroom and saw Dr. Ouko’s pajamas on the bed and the window fastener broken. The spectacles of the Minister were on the table at the sitting room. The Administration Police Constable tasked with guarding the Minister’s home, Zablon Agalo, claimed that on that night, he did not see anything, since he was guarding the cattle boma.

Earlier that night, Agalo had warned Selina not to venture out, until he whistled, in case she heard anything. Mr. Rodi, Dr. Ouko’s farm manager, was in charge of the dogs at the kennel. On that night, he tied the dogs hence they could not bark or bite. On his statement he said that at 2:30 AM that night, he saw Mr. Hezekiah Oyugi standing near Selina Were’s house, and Mr. Jonah Anguka was with him. Anguka who wore a blue suit with a tie was moving towards the cattle boma gate. He greeted him but Mr. Oyugi gestured him to keep quiet. A short, stocky, black man was standing at the verandah of Dr. Ouko’s house hiding behind a pillar. Rodi confirmed later that the man who stood behind the pillar at the verandah was Nicholas Biwott in the statement he recorded to the Sunguh committee. He also saw the white car that Selina had referred to and heard the loud bangs and gunshots. These shots were fired by Dr. Ouko at his abductors. Unfortunately, they cornered him and pinned him down before he could shoot any of them. Michael Owiti, the civilian driver to PC Kobia confirmed the Minister was grabbed from his house by the three guests he had picked in Eldoret. Once he was captured, they forced a gag into his mouth, tied his feet, handcuffed his hands behind his back, and dragged him to the vehicle Owiti was driving, and threw him into the boot. Two of the guest and PC Julius Kobia entered the vehicle and instructed him to drive to State House , Nakuru, a distance of 180 kilometers. At Kericho, the convoy stopped briefly to refuel. All this while, Dr. Ouko was struggling and groaning in the boot. At State House Nakuru, they found the gates open and all the five vehicles whizzed inside. All the passengers in the vehicles alighted and Dr. Ouko, who was now nose bleeding, was literally lifted from the vehicle into the State House. They were in Nakuru until around 3.00 P.M of 13 February.

Inspector James Lando, an intelligence official in Nakuru whose duties included compiling intelligence from State House, Nakuru, came across secret intelligence documents showing that Dr. Ouko was murdered in State House Nakuru. According to the Inspector, Dr. Ouko was carried into state house, he begged for his life as his captors beat him up and slammed him against the walls. One of the men who had been hired broke a leg from a seat and used it to crash Ouko’s legs. All the while, the Dr. was lying painfully on the floor begging and pleading. To finish it off, Biwott took a gun and shot him in the head

A Special Branch officer, named Mr. Wajackoya , working at the ‘music room’ ( the phone tapping room), happened to tap and record a phone conversation between Daniel Moi and Nicholas Biwott on that day Ouko was killed. In the conversation, Biwott confirmed to Moi that the problem of Ouko is taken care of for good, and Moi thanked him( Biwott) for it. Mr. Wajackoya handed over the tapes to the British Intelligence people in exchange for asylum.

On 13th February 1990, Dr. Ouko was scheduled to fly to the Gambia. His secretary and bodyguard were waiting for him in Nairobi. In the afternoon he had not shown up, people at the ministry and at home started to raise eyebrows. His wife Christabel Ouko, who by that time was at Loresho, called Selina Were. Unbeknownst to Christabel, at that very moment she was calling home to enquire on whereabouts of her husband, a Kenya Police helicopter was hovering over Got Alila Hills, just 6 kilometers from the Minister’s Koru home, carrying the lifeless body of the Minister. It took less than 10 minutes to drop the body and arrange the few items, some of which had been gotten from the Minister’s home, with the help of Philip Rodi, the farm manager.

[SIZE=3]The Americanskis made a huge mistake on the trip Moi and Ouko made to washington by treating Moi with scant regard while according ouko the kind of treatment that should be accorded a head of state[/SIZE]

They were sending a not so subtle message

Ouko Kujipandisha cheo na kujipendekeza kaa kaumbwa. :meffi::meffi::meffi:

Ouko Deserved Every bit. Uwezi shindana na Ndovu kukunia

you guys never said anything when ruto was upstaging uhuru

Moi and his entourage visited Washington in late Jan 1990, returning back on 4th Feb. 1990. If there were govt administration changes made weeks or even months before this time frame, as detailed above, then they were just a coincidence and not directly linked to the murder. However, the additional changes made when they came came back can be directly linked. This is because Ouko’s goose was cooked in Washington and his fate sealed on the trip back to Nairobi. I’ll explain further.

In the official state visit to White House/ Washington, there were a number of events that made Moi and his close aides get really pissed with Ouko. In a certain White House meeting with Pres. George HW Bush, that also had other Kenyan cabinet ministers, Moi was having a really hard time putting his points across (you know he was hardly eloquent in English) and Ouko was “seizing the moment,” with his Luo articulation and eloquence. But you know what they say in The Laws of Power: Never Outshine Your Master. Hata kama ako down aje… Just nyenyekea but never make him look bad.

It is said that a certain point in the deliberations, Pres. Bush dropped his glasses, interrupted Ouko and asked in bewilderment, “I need to understand. Who here is the Pres. of Kenya?” There was pin drop silence at that moment. Nothing was said of course but I’m sure Ouko himself knew at that moment he had gotten his boss thoroughly pissed. It is said too that nothing was discussed after this meeting, especially between Moi and Ouko.

However, this was actually not the final straw. What sealed Ouko’s fate was actually when Moi and his close aides got wind of Ouko’s secret meetings with senior Washington officials (very chini ya maji) which happened sometime between that Bush meeting and the flight back to Nairobi. Moi and his people weren’t privy to these secret meetings and coming from the Bush embarrassment, you can imagine what was running through their minds.

It’s even said that on the flight back, Biwott at some point jokingly (and spitefully) referred to Ouko as “Mr President.” His fate was sealed.

One of the rules of power is to never outshine your master. Ouko clearly missed the lesson.

You are the most retarded talker of all times. I’ll excuse you if you born post 2000.

Over the last 4 years I’ve been on K-talk I’ve seen this mindnumbingly dumb sentiment too many times to count.

These people believe powerful people are to not be challenged and their interests are to come first.

They used to say here “never outshine your master” a lot.

These people would offer themselves to be buried with the king.

When I see people here blaming Ouko for his death I am inclined to believe that fellow who says Mwafrika has low intelligence. Its all on display here.

Anyway Ouko did not do anything to upstage Moi. In fact he was faulted for spending a lot of time defending the Kenya government. This was his job as foreign minister.

He was said to be sooo good as foreign minister that when the investigators were formulating the murder theories, they thought Moi would have no intention of killing him because he was a very loyal leader.

Sad…nimekuwa nikifuata history ya kenya. Kenyatta and Moi really let kenya down by eliminating the elites…likes ya kina Mboya

The most retarded comment and not for the first time in this forum. You are a fool

Simply put, Ouko was never a politician. He was plucked from academia. Academics tend to be right on almost all issues but they tend not to have political instincts. Just look at miguna for reference.

As has been mentioned here, Ouko may have kept answering Bush because he could out-think bush, but this makes Moi look bad. The inability to see things politically is the academics Achilles heel. They are right on almost all issues, but its wrong for them to show it at the expense of embarrassing their boss. Miguna is right that he should come back to Kenya and also receive his 7 mill. But why is he still in Canada?

Bright people in Kenya’s history like JJ Kamotho served their presidents well even if they are told to do things that may seem idiotic. They simply went out there to do idiotic things in the most intelligent way they could while at the same time saying its the best idea they had ever heard.

If you cannot humble yourself to the powers that be (at least to some degree), then you are doomed no matter how intelligent you are.

:meffi::meffi: tolea machura uko

Ouko was never an academic. He had an honorary doctorate


[SIZE=6]Ouko burial: Moi’s surprise attendance[/SIZE]

Fear and anxiety gripped the nation. Violence and riots swept across the country as news of the brutal murder of Dr Robert John Ouko seeped into every part of the Republic of Kenya.
February 1990 was the month Daniel Toroitich arap Moi faced his toughest test as the President.
Kenya had witnessed many assassinations, but none had shaken the country to its core like that of Dr Ouko. With his gruesome murder, part of President Moi’s regime died too.
The Moi government had presided over years of misrule. Hundreds had been killed while agitating for civil and political rights. Scores had been murdered by the State apparatus in extrajudicial killings. Dozens were maimed and traumatised in what came to be known as the Nyayo Torture Chambers.
By 1990, Kenya was about to explode. The Kanu regime had tormented Kenyans for so long, the anger, frustration, and hate of the party and all it represented had turned into a live volcano waiting for a fissure to erupt. Ouko’s murder was the fissure.
The Foreign Affairs minister was picked up from his Koru home on the night of February 12-13 by people known to him. Later on, his remains were found at the foot of Got Alila, a small hill 2.5 kilometres from his home.

President Moi (fourth left) with other mourners at the graveside during Robert Ouko’s burial.

The government announced his disappearance and asked anyone with information on his whereabouts to contact the police. He had been tortured; his bones broken and shot through the head before his body was burnt.
Scotland Yard pathologist, Dr Ian West, told the Commission of Inquiry into the murder that his remains had literally been grilled before being dumped at Got Alila.

Somber Mood as Moi Govt. Security Retrieve Ouko’s body From Got Alila

When the day came for Dr Ouko’s charred remains to be buried, Kenya was already in flames. We left our Nation Kisumu bureau office before daybreak for Koru.
Kisumu had been turned into a military garrison. Hundreds of military and police trucks and Land-Rovers covered every street and corner. The General Service Unit red berets were on every inch of road from Kisumu to Koru.
“Moi must be extremely brave or insane to attend Ouko’s burial,” I told my colleagues as we drove through the sugar plantations in Muhoroni. Even in the trenches that separated the sugarcane farms from the Kisumu-Muhoroni road, lay armed men.
We managed to wriggle our way into the Ouko homestead. Being early truly helped. The whole place was a security zone. The burial site was already cordoned off. The presidential dais was under the watchful eye of the GSU.
By 8am, crowds had started pouring in. At first, security tried hard to scrutinize and verify mourners, until hundreds of university students from all corners of the republic poured in. Trying to stop them would have caused a stampede. When all the VIP guests and family had settled down, my fears were confirmed — Moi was actually coming. Two military helicopters appeared from the horizon and landed not far from the presidential dais.
As soon as Moi stepped out in his neat blue suit, all hell broke loose. Shouts of “murderer!”, “murderer!” rent the air. “You killed Ouko! You burnt Ouko! Now eat him!” the students shouted repeatedly.
They sang and danced in mockery of the President. Others chanted anti-government slogans while waving placards, calling him a murderer.
The security personnel battled to keep the surging crowds far from the tent where Moi had calmly and majestically walked to.
“He is indeed both brave and mad,” I told my colleagues as I nervously fidgeted with my notebook.
For a moment, I was terrified. What if the crowd manages to break through and reach touching distance of the President? I could visualize the massive gunfire with which the crowds would be repulsed.
I had already witnessed enough bloodshed since the assassination became public. I could not imagine the gunfire and human toll if the President’s life was threatened.

Hezekiah Oyugi.

The MC, Wilson Ndolo Ayah, cleared his throat before addressing the mourners. He began his address in English but was quickly shut down with chants of: “Ndolo wach dholuo” (Ndolo speak in Luo). He pleaded with the frenzied students to respect Moi and maintain silence but they would hear none of it.
His voice and pleas were swallowed in the din. All the while, Moi appeared unperturbed. With his hand on his chin, he quietly observed the happenings. The situation was getting out of control when Ouko’s widow Christobel took the microphone and pleaded with mourners.
“My husband Ouko loved peace,” she pleaded.
“Let us accord him the respect he deserves by maintaining respect, honour, dignity and peace.” She requested the students to give Moi a chance. The shouting gradually whittled down to murmers and then silence suddenly descended.
President Moi was invited to speak. He cleared his throat in his traditional style. He went on to mourn Ouko as his best minister. He regretted his death and vowed to bring the killers to book.

I listened to him in wonder. I shook my head as I took my notes. I knew the self-proclaimed Professor of Politics had a very stiff mountain to climb to restore order in the country.
There were no major riots that day, and I thank God because the country needed a night of peace. Moi, with another stroke of genius, cooled the embers of the Ouko murder by announcing that a team of investigators from the Scotland Yard would be flying into the country to probe the death. Kenyans were fed up with the local police, who had attempted to sell the theory that Ouko had committed suicide.
A restless Ouko was supposed to have left his house in haste. Armed with his walking stick, his pistol, a torch, a briefcase with clothes to change and a jerrycan of an inflammable liquid, he walked through the darkness towards the Nyando River.
Upon arrival at the river bank, he undressed, and dipped himself in the cool waters to bathe.
He then dressed up in fresh clothes, broke his leg and left shoulder, shot himself through the head and, just before he died, set himself ablaze, then neatly arranged the stuff he had carried. Then, he lay on his back to die … slowly. That was the police theory.

Wafula Buke, a former Nyayo Chamber Torture victim says:
At this early stage in the funeral, I would imagine that objective reflection on Moi will be indecent hence my proposal that we keep quiet for a while waiting for our moment. When that moment comes, I know what we shall do to get the words with which to mourn former President Moi. We shall go and stand on the graves of his victims at homes of their families. Ideas will flow straight from their graves to our heads. Then we shall mourn.
We won’t go to Ouko’s grave because Ouko was his son who was guilty of bad manners in the father’s house. I still remember how he used to tell the world that there were no political prisoners in Kenya when we were in prison.

It’s been three decades since Ouko was brutally murdered. President Moi, whose government and ruling party Kanu still carry the cross of his assassination, joined his forebears in the month of the Ouko murder anniversary, and a day shy of the date of Opposition politician Jaramogi Oginga Odinga’s burial.
He will be interred on February 12, the day Ouko was plucked from the comfort of his bed to his death 30 years ago.

Caleb Atemi is a Communication Consultant. www.calebatemi.com

You lie: He was still an academia…

Ouko was born in Nyahera village, near Kisumu, Nyanza Province. He went to Ogada Primary School, Nyang’ori School. After schooling he studied at the Siriba Teachers Training College. He worked as a primary school teacher. In 1955 he landed a job as the revenue officer of Kisii District. In 1958 he joined the Haile Selassie University in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, graduating in 1962 with a degree in Public Administration, Economics and Political Science. He then went to Makerere University in Uganda for a diploma in International Relations and Diplomacy.
At the time of his death, he had nearly finished his doctoral thesis, for which he was studying at the University of Nairobi. Despite being known as Dr. Ouko, he held only an honorary degree received in 1971 from the Pacific Lutheran University in Seattle.

He may not “officially” have a masters or phd, but he was a scholarly, studious person.