Dr. @Luther12, your final say, please

[SIZE=3][SIZE=6]Treasured herbal medicines not safe as study exposes killer germs[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
IN SUMMARY[/SIZE]
[ul]
[li]Initial findings indicate almost all the herbal powders, tablets, capsules, oils and liquids are contaminated, some with untreatable germs resistant to a number of antibiotics.[/li][li]The study, funded by the government through the National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation has completed analysing herbal medicines in Nairobi, Mombasa and Eldoret for bacterial contamination.[/li][li]Of concern to the researchers say the level of contamination by various types of bacteria which cause diseases such as pneumonia, diarrhoea, anaemia, kidney problems and urinary tract infections.[/li][/ul]
Most herbal medicines sold in Nairobi, Mombasa and Eldoret are contaminated with dangerous disease causing germs, an ongoing study by the Kenya Medical Research Institute (Kemri) confirms.

Initial findings indicate almost all the herbal powders, tablets, capsules, oils and liquids are contaminated, some with untreatable germs resistant to a number of antibiotics.

“Patients are literally being infected with more dangerous diseases than they had intended to treat,” says lead investigator Dr Lucia Kipkoech Keter of the Centre for Traditional Medicine and Drug Research at Kemri.

In an interview with the Sunday Nation, Dr Keter said the worst is yet to come since the research team has only completed one part of a three-phase study.

The study, funded by the government through the National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation has completed analysing herbal medicines in Nairobi, Mombasa and Eldoret for bacterial contamination.

The phase one data for Mombasa and Eldoret has been published but for some technical reasons Dr Keter said those for Nairobi will come out soon. But the situation in Nairobi, she said is not better than in Eldoret and Mombasa where 90 per cent of samples were heavily contaminated.

“In the current phase two, we have also analysed samples in the three towns for fungal contamination and in the third phase we will test them for the presence of heavy metals,” she said.

Dr Keter, a senior researcher at Kemri said they will then give their report to the Ministry of Health for action. Fungal analysis so far, she said, points to the presence of aflatoxins known to cause some cancers in humans.

Page 1 of 2
Next

Haiya, ata ile ya ndaowo?
Mie naona wanataka haribia watu fearshara

3 Likes

This are the same people who said polio or was it tetanus vaccine is safe amid protests from the Catholics. Months down it was shown it was lethal. Dawa za miti ziko sawa unless from those money minded Kamirithus

3 Likes

Kwanza hiyo inabebwa na chupa ya plastic na inakaa kama strungi ndio mbaya zaidi.

1 Like

Hua ni dawa ya nini?

They claim it cures a host of ailments from stomach problems to aches in joints and muscles. But I doubt if it does all that.

As I’ve always said, the only herbal concoctions you should ever trust and take in Kenya are those you have prepared yourself. All else is pure garbage at worst and poison at best. Examples abound all around us ni vile hatupendi kuambiwa. I know a few who have died from the same.

5 Likes

I never trust them, doctor! I boil my own mwarobaini, not for therapy, but for that bitter taste! It gives me a kick, believe me!

mwarobaini na leaves za mti ya mukinduri (Greek) huponya fever na malaria

2 Likes

Mufuthi.

This is not to say that there’s anything wrong with herbal medicine by the way, far from it. A lot of what we know as conventional medicine today began as herbal medicine, a few examples being the likes of Quinine, Atropine, Artemisinine, and so many others. However, what is sold at those street corners is something else altogether.

2 Likes