Dr Kiano and shiny eyes

This post is inspired by a thread which appeared a few days ago, in which many talkers expressed shock that they don’t know the role Dr Kiano played in helping peasants from Muranga to become landowners in East lands and downtown Nairobi.

To follow up on that post, I request Kenyan historians wa Ktalk to contribute further this debate, since what Dr Kiano did for ordinary Kikuyu peasants is sadly not well documented by history books or the media.

However, if you go to Murang’a and talk to those rich wazees and other billionaires with rental houses in Githurai 44, Kariobangi, and Kayole, like @ChifuMbitika, they will tell you how Dr Kiano helped them to pool their meager resources to establish land buying companies and cooperatives. These companies and cooperatives were very popular in Murang’a in the 1960s and the 1970s, which partly explains the owning of Nairobi property by people of Murang’a.

First, as a minister for Commerce, he came up with the 1969 Trade Licensing Act, which barred non-citizens (mostly Asians) from owning small businesses particularly in small towns, and thanks to this act, this gap allowed most Kikuyus to start small businesses in wholesale and retail of basic commodities, since the law specified a list of goods that only citizens were allowed to trade in.

Remember, prior to the Africanisation policy, wholesale and retail was purely dominated by Asians.[SIZE=1] (However, it’s important to note that light and heavy manufacturing was still dominated by Asians).[/SIZE]

Further, Aficanisation helped secure specific types of trade and trading zones for retail and wholesale for African businesses and more importantly, cheap credit. These initiatives overseen by Dr Kiano of placing the economy in the hands of Africans, is what partially gave birth to the modern Kenyan enterprise - or rather emergence of the wealthy shiny eyes. Remember, I am not talking about wealthy politicians, I am talking about ordinary peasants who within a short time graduated from subsistence farming to being successful businessmen and property owners.

My grandfather and other wazess from Murang’a fondly remembers numerous incidents when Dr Kiano used to come to village barazas telling people form cooperatives to get access credit from the Kenya National Trading Corporation through the Industrial and Commercial Development Corporation (ICDC), wich helped many shiny eyes in Murang’a to become property owners in Nairobi, wholesalers and distributors.

If you are a Kikuyu and your grandfather is or was a rich businessman, I can guarantee 100%, that Dr Kiano’s policies had a direct or indirect role in his being rich.

Let us celebrate Dr Kiano for his efforts.

It’s true that Dr Kiano enabled many Africans to hop into the bandwagon of entrepreneurship and investment in real estate especially in the Nairobi metropolis. But that was not solely the only factor why this occured. Remember also that at that time, people of Central Kenya were already into organised cash cro farming. The conducive environment and the visionary ideas among the peasants led to formation of Sacco’s, farmer’s co-op societies and building societies. Thus the peasants were able to save and channel their monies and acquire land and put up business flats.

Yeah like the coffee boom. It did really transform many households back then.

That’s very true… My maternal grandmother - from Rwathia - was in a coop and they bought so much real estate in Ruiru and Juja it still amazes me to this day.
With her few shares, she was able to get 10 acres in Juja, 2 acres in Kamakis another 100x100 in Gachororo (real name ya Juja town) and another 100x100 in near prisons Kwa Gitambaya.
They knew the power of pulling together and took advantage of the opportunities available at that time.

Which year(s) was this?
And was the same principle used in the land allotment elsewhere in 70-80s (migunda ya kugatwo)?

Link please of the other thread?

Yep migunda kugatwo… Was in late 70s early 80s if I’m not wrong.
Ruiru Juja yote ilikua kichaka teeming with wild animals.

Yes those are the years when massive land allotment were done.
A genesis of land tenure crisis where tribal displacement occurred

Yes @Sambamba we know! We gerrit! That everyone in your family is a successful mbirrionea.

From your parents in Kahawa Sukari to your sister in the U.S earning a million dollars a year as a phd nurse… to you the network engineer from Valley Arcade with 9,476 top earning websites and billon dollar shares in 800 Chinese companies including in China Wu Yi and Taiwan’s TSMC.

Yes you have already told us all these before. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kenyan bonobos live in the big cities-facts - News & Politics - Kenya Talk

Sure

There was also a huge wave of land buying companies in those times. The companies bought huge tracts of land and leased to cooperatives at a small fee. The co-op members only needed to part with a few shillings in order to get shares which gave me them a piece of land. My dad acquired some land in Laikipia this way

Interesting thing is that hakukua na ukora… Widows and illiterates got their rightful shares

Very true. There were no Gakuyos or Cytonns in those days

Sad I never got to know that man.

There are so many Kianos nowadays lakini gava imewafinya makei. Only several families wants to dominate everything which is okay because we are pulling resources ndio watoto wakiuza hizo mali tuzinunue kwa fujo.

i dont care

Wewe pambana na ukimwi bila kusumbua elders.

He helped Kikuyus only.

Most small retail businesses were owned by Wahindi. Saccos zimesaidia watu wengi sana. You have Dr Kiano to thank for that

Funny thing is that, Africanisation policy was started by Tom Mboya - Not Dr Kiano.

He made sure that the policy was not left collecting dust and actually implemented it when he was minister.

For instance, Tom Mboya could have easily told cotton and sugarcane farmers in the Lakeside to pool their small earnings and form cooperatives.

Ama namna gani?