Doctors and nurses in the house please help.

Last week I had constant stomach pains and discomfort including slight diarrhoea. I went to hospital on Saturday and was diagnosed with Entamoeba hystolitica. I was then put on a ten day regimen of Ornidazole tablets. The situation has improved but today I noticed large white cysts in my stool. I have a few questions please:

1. Are the large cysts (looking like corn) a sign of another infection? Or do they show that the infection is clearing from the system?
  2. Is Ornidazole as effective as Metronidazole in dealing with amoeba?
  3. Must I take the tablets for the whole prescribed period, considering that the side effects are so harsh?
    Thanks in advance.

@Purple leta ujuzi hapa

@Purple can’t relate. Amoeba kwake ni theory.

Ornidazole dose should not be left midway, even with the uncomfortable side effects, do your best to complete.

Is it as effective as Metronidazole?

You went examining your pupu ama you have a lab in your house?

@ChifuMbitika general ako kwa kijiji sa ii[ATTACH=full]305085[/ATTACH]

Hahahaha. Was not a victim of this.

[ATTACH=full]305093[/ATTACH]

Fanya biopsy ya mitura zako boss alafu ka colonoscopy

Sawa

The whitish discoloration in your stool is a sign that the infection is clearing up. What other side effects are you having? Perhaps try taking the medication with food to reduce irritation and if that doesn’t help, consider an antihistamine like famotidine which decreases stomach acidity.

The cure rate with Ornidazole is about the same as with metronidazole, according to a small study I found on google.

[SIZE=6]Abstract[/SIZE]
Metronidazole, tinidazole and ornidazole were compared in patients treated for Entamoeba histolytica or Giardia lamblia intestinal infections. Only patients with three positive stool specimens for trophozoites and/or cysts of E. histolytica or G. lamblia by the merthiolate iodine formaldehyde (MIFC) technique were included. Criteria for cure were at least 10 negative stool specimens over 3 weeks after completing therapy. Fifty-three male patients (aged 9-65 years) had E. histolytica infection. Seventeen received metronidazole (1.5 g daily for 10 days), 18 tinidazole (1.5 g daily for 10 days) and 18 ornidazole (1 g daily for 10 days). Metronidazole yielded 88%, tinidazole 67% and ornidazole 94% cure rates. Side reactions were minor. Eighty patients had G. lamblia infection, of whom 20 received metronidazole (0.5 g daily for 10 days), 30 tinidazole (single 2 g dose) and 30 ornidazole (single 1 g dose). Cure rates were 95% for metronidazole, 90% for tinidazole and 97% for ornidazole with no side reactions.

Maybe that’s means the Bilharzia has been given the final blow

Anyway am no doctor

Thanks a lot madam for that information which is quite insightful and helpful.

Thanks