Blood is thicker than water

They will continue to play a game of catch-up.
And when they do catch-up the competitor America is again 5 years ahead.

This is clear even before I analyse the rest of your comment.

Na uwache kutuenjoy. The chip designs come from U.S companies. Hapo tayari China wameshikwa makende.

And TSMC itself is a sweatshop company. If TSMC misbehaves and continues giving China microchips chini ya maji, Trump can move to another country and build his foundries there.

Kijana you dont understand physics .Moores law inafika mwisho as there is a limit of how many transistors you can pack in a CPU .We are currently at 7nm and TSMC are moving into 5nm then 3nm which will most likely be the end point .All that is made possible by EUV machines from ASML of Netherlands -remember this : (the most important company in semiconductors is not even American or Asian .Hii kampuni ndio iko na technology yenye itasema kama mnasonga ama hamsongi .)

Unless they can come up with new materials that are currently not in existence ,kuna ukuta fulani inaenda kugongwa on chip density .That’s why the Chinkus will catch up as by then they will have perfected their EUV machines .It’s easier to catch up than to progress .

For your information China wako nyuma kiasi because they cant import the EUV machines from Netherlands .

At the end of the day hata uniite kijana mara ngapi we both know that Chinese don’t innovate anything!

Innovation costs money and time, two things that Chinese manufacturers don’t like spending.

And that is why they buy and if they can’t buy it they just steal it. All these “Chinese chips” you keep reffering to come from Apple or IBM whose designs are bought by ARM holdings in Britain and then resold to TSMC who then manufacture the KIRIN and Mediatek chips on behalf of Chinese companies.

But the real parent company of KIRIN and Mediatek is Apple or IBM.

And Apple and IBM are in turn not happy with Trump and his meddling trade war that is interrupting these highly complex and secret offshoring relationships.

Apple makes a shitload of money from selling designs and patents to Chinese companies. As do many other U.S companies big and small.

Haiya. Kwani unataka tuku fact check kama Trump?

Proceed. :slight_smile:

You are too ignorant on this so let me school you how it works.

All companies, Huawei, Apple Qualcomm, Mediatek buy licence from ARM for their sets of instructions.Any company including one from Somalia can do this.

What is this licence? It is a set of instructions that you then use to design your own chips.ARM owns this IP

Huawei uses this licence to design its kirin chipsets, Apple uses this licence to design its A12 chips, Qualcomm uses this licence to design its snapdragons, Samsung uses this licence to design its exynos chips, Ruto uses this licence to design wizi line of chipsets etc etc.

Ukisha design, you approach a foundry and tell them, “here are my designs based on 7nm architecture , I want 500 million chipsets”

The foundry in this case TSMC will manufacture the chips for you wakupatie uweke kwa simu zako or whatever devices you want.

If you are Xiaomi and you don’t have an in-house capability like to design chips, you approach a company like Qualcomm or mediatek and they will happily sell you their chips.

They companies can Take your designs to SMIC, GloFo but they prefer TSMC because of scale and latest nodes.

So TSMC at some point will tell them “we just bought the latest EUV equipment from ASML and have upgraded our nodes. Give us your 5nm designs and we will happily make them for you”

You have no option but to contract them since their nearest competitor bado ako 10nm.

The designs come from the U.S.

The technology itself even at TSMC is American technology!

[SIZE=7]Can Huawei survive without its custom Kirin chips?[/SIZE]
[ul]
[li]Robert Triggs[/li][/ul]
5 days ago

A Huawei executive’s recent suggestion that the Huawei Mate 40 series will quite likely be the last of the company’s phones to feature its in-house Kirin silicon was both shocking and inevitable. With US trade sanctions against the Chinese giant now extending as far as foreign chipmakers that use or license and US technology, this prevents TSMC or Samsung from manufacturing chips for Huawei. Without a manufacturing partner, Huawei’s Kirin is no more. Simple as that.
Of course, this would also have a knock-on effect Huawei’s routers, switches, and other bits of hardware that all use Kirin silicon. What happens next is a quagmire of trade rules and weighing up options that may or may not pan out.

Huawei could look to China’s own Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC) to manufacturer Kirin. However, even SMIC uses US-made equipment, so even as a short-term option, it would still stir up trouble with Washington. In addition, SMIC is notably behind on cutting edge lithography technology, sat as it is on 14nm FinFET versus TSMC’s 7nm FinFET and soon to be 5nm EUV processes. SMIC isn’t close to replacing TSMC as a premium-tier manufacturing option.

Can HUAWEI survive without its custom Kirin chips? - Android Authority

Unajua photomask ni nini?

Who designs Huawei photomasks?

ASML’S EUV Scanner?

Yep

Tuwachane na hii mambo yote. All these things you are saying above happen much later.

Who designs the very first drawings or blueprints for Huawei chips that then become the mask as shown below:

:D:D

This is the equipment that prints the chip.

Before you print the chip you need drawings. Designs. Blueprints. Who does the designs/blueprints for Huawei?

I just love the diversity of knowledge in this village. This thread alone has so much stuff I never heard of … and there’s tons of evidence of the impressive body of knowledge held by villagers in other threads covering areas as spread out as energy development, hydrology, agriculture and forestry, process engineering, astrophysics & space exploration, statistics, computer science, medicine, governance, name it.

Of course there’s also the odd dry fryer to lighten the moment :D:D:D!!!

If we agree, as we must that the village is a microcosm of our national fabric, we are basically ready (and have been for quite a while) for takeoff.

What we need is for our governance environment to focus on harnessing and channelling this knowledge and the abundant energy of our young demographic towards a production environment and not the almost solely consumer one obtaining currently.

If huawei can do the drawings then they can definitely build a foundry. Drawings and foundry go together.

It would simply mean that they have attained that high level of knowledge. They don’t need the U.S.!

But that is not the case. They can’t even make a mask.

So wacha kujienjoy ati it’s so easy Ruto can order for a chip.

Unaniita dryfryer na hata huelewi ni nini nauliza hawa majamaa.

Wanasama all China lacks is the printer.

Nawauliza before you print you need to draw first. You need to do the mathematics, the circuitry of the chip. Then you can print the chip.
If China can do the drawings, then they don’t need the U.S!

But can they do the drawings?

Skiza hapa kijana:designing a chip and building a fab are two different things. Give me Cadence or Synopsys and I’ll design a chip albeat a crude one for you.
Electrical/computer engineering students design chips all the time

It’s like asking an architect why he doesn’t have a construction company.

Anyway I’ll never tire schooling you because this is a field in which I have vast knowledge.

Designing a chip and operating a fab are two different things.

Building a bleeding edge fab is so expensive and complicated that only one company (TSMC) in the world has gotten it right.Just this month Intel gave up because they can’t get 10nm right and on time and all their chips are gonna be fabricated by TSMC going forward.

Samsung is also having issues catching up with TSMC.

It takes about 4 years and costs 10 to 15 billion dollars just to construct a modern fab and by the time you are ready to launch, the industry will have progressed and you’ll be a generation behind.
It’s the reason why thd Xi government set a side 2 to trillion dollars to achieve chip independence.

From $120 million you have moved to $15 billion to try and impress upon me how the printer is expensive but it is not that expensive. :D:D

There’s nothing like $15 billion. And even if it was $50 billion, that is peanuts to Huawei.

I am looking at who owns the designs for microchips.

China already has a modern printer :

https://cntechpost.com/2020/07/28/chinese-company-develops-new-lithography-equipment/

Printer sio shida. It shows they have potential to print.

The mathematics of designing these modern chips is the problem. Huawei buys finished designs/drawings.

The American mathematics and engineering is what China lacks. There is a critical ingenuity that China lacks and once they crack that it’s over Mr. Trump.

Na sio pesa, pesa wako nazo. Mingi.