Being an agnostic and an atheist

Of recent years, I have seen a couple of people using these two terms interchangeably and in this thread, I will try to break down the real meaning of the two because at the end of the day, one can actually be an agnostic atheist (both) because these two terms are indeed very different.

It all simply breaks down to two categories; belief and knowledge. One is under the first and the other, under the second. When it comes to belief, there are three main divisions under it.

[INDENT][ol]
[li]Theist(s). This is someone or a group of people who do believe in the existence of a Supreme God. Most current religions are under this section.[/li][li]Atheist(s). Someone or a group of people who believe that there is no God or gods.[/li][li]Deist(s). This is the last group which defines the people who do also believe in a God, but, in a different way than how Theist do. Deism is the belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation, that is, it “is a philosophical belief that posits that God exists but does not interfere directly with the world. (Wikipedia)”. Deists typically reject supernatural events (e.g. prophecy, miracles, the divinity of Jesus, the Christian concept of the Trinity), and they regard their faith as a natural religion.[/li][/ol][/INDENT]
When it comes to the second category, knowledge, we do have these two;

[ol]
[li]Gnostic. This labels a person who claims to have knowledge of something (and usually, can prove it.).[/li][li]Agnostic. The opposite of being Gnostic; someone who admits that s/he lacks knowledge about a particular subject (especially esoteric knowledge of spiritual matters).[/li][/ol]
So in real sense, one can be an Agnostic Theist, meaning, s/he believes in a supreme God but does not have enough knowledge/evidence of his existence, or a Gnostic Atheist; one who believes there is no supreme God and has sufficient knowledge to back up his belief.

With this in mind, we all can classify ourselves based on our beliefs and knowledge in religion in general. As an example, I will use one prominent person in our history who has been a huge controversy in this particular subject… Albert Einstein. In my view, I would classify him as an Agnostic Deist. Why?

For a theist, words quoted from him such as “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind,” or “In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for support of such views,” (read here) would immediately make them believe that he was theirs…a theist. Well, using these quotes, we can at least put him under theism/deism. But, in a letter he wrote at the end of his life to an author of a book on Judaism, he is quoted saying “The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can change this for me.” He has also stated that he believed in the pantheistic God of Baruch Spinoza. A pantheistic God is the opposite of an anthropomorphic God (personal God who is believed to take attributes of human traits or emotions) like those of Abrahamic religion (Judaism, Christianity and Islam.). So at this point, we can only put him under deism. As for agnostic, well, he himself said he was!!

That, was a “short” abridgment of the terms agnostic and atheist. Please note that I am not trying to change anyone’s views about their standing in this matter, rather than, I am just sharing some helpful information.

agnostic is simply not giving a fuck.How I roll.

A lazy atheist. Pick a side.

So which one are you?

Most scientists and founding fathers if the USA were deists. Guys such as Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Lincoln, were deists

Unajaribu kusema nn ama unataka tuwafufue?

They were also slave owners…apart from Lincoln

Jefferson proclamation of independence and the fact that he was a slave owner, is a confusing thing for modern day Christian. But back to the good book your father Abraham was a proud slave owner.

Benjamin Franklin was a Quaker but at some point he stopped going to church owing to how the preachers were interpreting the bible.

On belief systems you left out non-theist religions.

Agnostic theist. You?

Example of these religions could be what exactly?

Other people such as tupac have been interpreted to have been deists, he believed in God but he rejected religion, and an afterlife, he also had a low opinion of the bible. Leonardo da vinci, Voltaire, and Thomas Paine are other well known deists.

Yeah…problem is, most people who are indeed deists are confused to be theists.

I hop,skip and jump all over. I have gone through many phases.