AVS 30, FRIDGE GUARD, TV GUARD AND TV GUARD

In residential applications, all you need is single-phase surge protector such as Sollatek AVS30 or AVS100 (depending on your current draw). You can check this Sollatek video on how its Automatic Voltage Switcher works, very informative

Does a Uniterruptible Power Supply do all of this?

No

Any advice on how to install this in an apartment setup to ensure protection of maybe not the whole house but critical parts…

UPS is mostly used for computers and servers

Yes. You can connect the AVS30 to a parallel incomer power supply (from the kenya power meter) and connect to another consumer unit to supply your critical areas.

Saa unataka kutudanganya eti huko Kibera uko na fridge? But then again huwa unauza mkundu so labda sponsor ameku promote.

avoid those cheap tv/fridge … we had a power surge sometime back and it blew up the fridge guard and the no frost fan in the fridge after comparing the sollatek and these other cheap brands you can see the difference in the components. we had an extra sollatek one but i still repaired the sollatek one.
another thing to avoid is fake voltage stabilizers during the power surge it also didnt protect some other electronic equipments i ended up getting a sollatek voltage stabilizer for a generator mostly and a dayliff avs 30 it was cheaper than the sollatek but good quality also,
the image here is of the cheap fridge guard the blue cap is the one that blew up in the sollatek fridge guard if you compare those 2 components you can see the difference.

The original sollatek was the real deal. I have one from more than 10 years and still going strong. What we have now, most are cheap imitations.

Wait a minute, I disagree with you on the statement that in I=V/R under ohms law that if the voltage is high, resistance will reduce. This will only hold true to have a constant current (I), but this is just mathematical. Actually if the resistance (R) is not constant, then we no longer have Ohms law. Practically the resistance of the motor windings or whichever conductor won’t change therefore high voltage will mean increased current. It is this increased current which will lead to increased heating of the windings via P=I^2*R. Basically, increasing voltage to a motor leads to increased current thus increased heating since resistance is fixed.

I like your trust but hey, what’s the rating of these breakers you are trusting so much in relation to your load? Rarely will the KPLC main breaker trip unless there’s a short cct. What’s the brand and rating of your MCB? If it’s Andeli, I would advise you spend some cash and replace with ABB, SIEMENS, Schneider or such reliable brands.

That was low voltage. An ordinary filament bulb (zile za Phillips 50bob)will ‘tell’ you when you have a low voltage. They go noticeably dim with every voltage drop. Buy a multimeter as well for confirmation of your voltage levels

Recommendation on where one can get these… And Cost…

It is important to know your load demand first. The 30 and 100 after AVS are maximum current limits.

Apologies sikua nimeona hii comment before. Well, in this case you should understand that we are talking about overvoltage issues. Resistance is not changing because a circuit’s impedance remains the same if don’t add other components. To explain, what I meant here is that in an overvoltage situation, the resistance in the circuit can no longer regulate the current flow. In simple terms, R becomes lower relative to constant I as V is increased.

Basically you are saying the same thing I explained, albeit in a way to rectify semantics :smiley:

I think Daylight sells them.

No problema chief :cool:.

Ndio maana I used the word “pressure” to explain voltage in simple terms. For example, uki jaza pipe mrefu na maji, tie it both ends, and start rolling it flat from one side, water pressure increases tremendously and eventually raptures the pipe.

In this case, we added pressure from one end (voltage) which made it almost impossible for the pipe (resistance) to hold the water together, ata kama volume ya maji (current) na pipe haija change. Najua my example inaeza trigger watu wa fluid mechanics but ni sawa :smiley:

How to calculate Load…!?

I guess the AVS30 should be more than enough to protect TV, Play Station 4 and Sony STR DN-1080 Receiver