A Kenyan Lady Narrates Her Experience in the Land of Khokhols Since the Beginning of the War

Koko Profile picture

Koko

@korrinesky

Feb 24 • 21 tweets • 4 min read • Read on X

2 years ago I lived on the 16th floor of a high rise building in Dnipro, Ukraine. 2 years ago today, I woke up at around 6am and opened my twitter account to find out Russia had invaded Ukraine. (1)

I remember having this sinking feeling. As in I felt my heart physically drop to my feet. I remember looking outside and seeing military everywhere. It’s really hard to explain (2)

The weeks leading up to the invasion, anytime you brought up the W word, the locals, our unis, other students would automatically tell you “it’s sensationalism from the west”. So maybe this was also sensationalism, maybe it wasn’t going to be that bad? (3)

So many things went on in my mind, I think I must have done the entire grief cycle that morning. I denied, I was angry, I was sad… I was in shock. The rest of the day we stayed put trying to figure out what do we do… (4)

Today is the 2nd year anniversary of the Russia - Ukraine war. A war that has claimed the lives of so many, and I have tried to think of the best words I can use to advocate for my community, the best words to use to express how I truly feel, but I can’t (5)

How do I explain what it was like to try and get on a bus to flee for your life and be told you can’t because the bus is for Ukrainians only? (6)

How do I explain, have to walk for days because no bus or train will allow you on because of the colour of your skin? (7)

How do I explain getting on a train and being pushed off because your life doesn’t matter? (8)

How do I explain, spending days at the border in freezing cold temperatures and being told you can’t cross to refuge because you are not Ukrainian? (9)

How do i explain being trapped in a country that has been annexed by the Russian military and you are not allowed to leave? How do i explain rescue missions being organised to save everybody but you? (10)

How do I explain waking upto the sounds of missiles and wondering if you will ever see your loved ones again? (11)

How do I explain entering into a country and being detained for months on end, because black and brown people fleeing wars aren’t refugees their criminals… (12)

The past 2 years have been marred with deportations, expulsions, suicides, deaths, homelessness for black and brown people who fled Ukraine. 2 years on things have gotten worse rather than better (13)

If the level of support that Ukrainian refugees were given was given to every refugee group the world would be a better place. I am sorry to be blunt but it has never been about the care of victims of war but always about racism and white supremacy (14)

From being told you can’t get on bus because you aren’t Ukrainian, to you aren’t eligible for a scholarship because you aren’t Ukrainian, it has always been racism. (15)

My heart goes out to the black and brown people who Ukraine was their home and their life was ruined because of the events of 24/02/2022. The people who all they want to do is move on and reclaim their lives but they are constantly having to fight that their life matters (16)

My heart goes out to the students who took their own lives because they couldn’t see a light at the end of this tunnel. Solidarity to the students who went back to Ukraine after being denied refuge everywhere and have had to witness this war every day for the past 2 years (17)

Solidarity to the students in Netherlands who are facing deportations on March 4th who are saying “we aren’t Ukrainian but we are still human”. Please lend your support to them, they need us the most

(18)

Derdelanders uit Oekraine — Derdelanders.ORGDerdelanders uit Oekraine - Support Third-country nationals from Ukraine fighting against unfair treatment by the IND. We Are Humans Too. Stand For Humanityhttps://derdelanders.org/

Solidarity to all the black and brown people of Ukraine who will never realise their dreams of becoming doctors because they have had to give up their education because the scholarships are for “Ukrainians only” (19)

Today marks 2 years since the Russian Invasion of Ukraine. A day that changed the lives of millions. As our hearts and minds are on the people of Ukraine let’s also remember #AfricansinUkraine let’s also remember bombs do not discriminate people do. (20)

1 Like

Sanity is continuing to prevail. In the trenches, in the streets and in the corridors of european power.

Here is germany foreign minister cutefaced warmonger burbock stating “we knew sanctions against were jack, but we needed to appear like we were doing something something”.

1 Like

Arudi nyumbani tu

1 Like

[quote=“Stick-Up_Kid, post:1, topic:472775”]
…er account to find out…

[/quote] This is why Africans must create a leadership which cares for its people. Nothing is more important than the lives and safety of citizens, whichever colour they are. If we cannot send planes to the proximity of a warzone and arrange to get our own out of danger before a war starts, then we have a serious problem. That problem is priorities. Other nations we pretend to compare ourselves with do it. This should cause us to seriously examine what we value as human beings.

1 Like

BRAINDEAD NEGROS KEEP SINGING WE STAND WITH UKRAINE, WE STAND WITH ISRAEL BUT THE PEOPLE OF THOSE NATIONS HATE NEGROS MORE THAN THEY HATE SH!T. MEANWHILE OUR BLACK BROTHERS AND SISTERS ARE DYING LIKE FLIES JUST NEARBY IN DRC BUT YOU CAN’T SEE THAT BECAUSE NEGRO HANA AKILI

3 Likes

We are our own worst enemies!